Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 civic with lsv, spark, fuel, compression, and timing correct but no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 civic with lsv, spark, fuel, compression, and timing correct but no start

so ive posted a few times throught the thread about my car, recently the car had started breaking up bad and wouldnt go over 3k, my cel through a good amount of codes and pretty much didnt wanna run well at all, so i took the entire harness out and found a good amount of wires that had become un spliced and were just a mess. i had re connected the wires and heat shrunk them all, i then put the harness back in the car the same way i had takin it out and the car wont start, i checked for spark its all good, the fuel pump is priming and the fuel pressure guage is reading 40psi, i checked compression and its 125psi across, i checked cam timing and its all on point, i sprayed starter fluid and still nothing, i checked all relays, fuses and grounds. on top of it all my starter literally snapped off the mounts and fell out so i need to get a new one tomorrow, ive been trying to figure this for the past few days with no luck at all i dont know what more to do at this point
Old 07-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 civic with lsv, spark, fuel, compression, and timing correct but no start

Hey I have heard of this happing.. Actually it happen to me..lol on my b20b gsr swap did you ever figure out what the problem was..
Old 07-15-2012, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 civic with lsv, spark, fuel, compression, and timing correct but no start

no still no luck, working on it as we speak.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

New starter now installed?

CEL codes?

Plug wires connected in correct firing order on distributor cap?

Sensor connectors match sensors?

Is spark BRIGHT WHITE at all 4 spark plugs?

Original thread closed as only one thread is allowed per topic.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/98-civic-lsv-swap-misfire-above-3k-rpm-cel-code-8-a-3071163/
Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

New starter is now installed. I originally had codes 6,7,9,17, and 21. Now I only have 6 and 21. The spark is white throughout all 4 and the firing order is correct, I triple checked all connectors to make sure they are all correct.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FIX code 6. Does the engine start if you unplug the ECT sensor? Do you know where it is located?

Post sensor connector pictures with wire colors -- or at least list wire colors in the connectors. Provide information that is verifiable. Same for plug wire order.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im not to goood with wiring but i put everything back as it was before i took it out, there is only one issue and that is there are a few connectors with no were to go. the car was automatic so could it be that they are from that ? i will post pics of all connectors/wire colors. when i got the car it had all the original codes and ran fine, thts why i dont understand why it wont run now out of know were.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lou845
when i got the car it had all the original codes and ran fine
Regardless, having all those CEL codes was extremely bad. Those codes raised a huge red flag about the poor quality of the swap and most surely affected the car's performance.

At this point, it would be a huge mistake to assume anything is fine. This could cause you to miss something important. By providing the necessary information, you allow us to verify it.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, i will get out there now to take as many pics as possible to give every one a better point of view on what im dealing with
Old 07-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah im having the same problem I have a 93 hatch b20b vtec swap. I put lowering springs and tried to start and the starter broke off now with new starter installed car wont start just spinning and timing is tdc all the way so if you figure out what it is please share and let me know
Old 07-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow what a mess. I would get a hole new harness for a 96-98 Ex or a 99-00 Si. A 96-98 DX or LX harness will work but you need to add Vtec and a knock sensor if you are running one. If not for any than piece of mind and a cleaner bay. Also keep in mind that having a messed up harness can can fry the ECU if wires get crossed or miss wired.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What is the origin of the engine wire harness?

What ECU?

The picture for the spark plug wires also needs to show the cylinders that they run to.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for the bad picture quality
Old 07-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is your timming dead on tdc? And your mass air flow sensor wasnt plugged in kinda looks like plugs arent right either post diffrrent pics of top
Old 07-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The harness is a Hack job as stated, it's the stock 98 ex automatic harness with a step down to a p72. I work at a Honda/Acura junkyard so getting a new harness isn't an issue. Which harness should I grab ? There is some one local that has a b series ready harness. I will take pic of spark plug wires
Old 07-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

K
Old 07-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pictures in order, top to bottom:

#1 - CKF sensor connector
#2 - power steering pressure sensor connector
#3 - knock sensor, right headlight, or cruise control?
#4 - not sure what we're looking at
#5 - IAT sensor (match) and MAP sensor (hacked but match)
#6 - IACV (match)
#7 - TPS (doesn't look like TPS to me)
#8 - not sure what we're looking at
#9 - injector power = all Yel/Blk; grounds ---> #1 = Brn; #2 = Red; #3 = Blu; #4 = Yel (These look out of order)
#10 - need better pic of plug wires

Picture of the ECT sensor is missing.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

#4 i was taking a pic of the green plug on the block, and i was wondering which of the first 3 pics goes to it, also next to it theres a male conector popping out that has a female connected to it thats a yellow wire
Old 07-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

next to it theres a male conector popping out that has a female connected to it thats a yellow wire
The Yel/Red wire connector is for the engine oil pressure sensor.

#4 i was taking a pic of the green plug on the block, and i was wondering which of the first 3 pics goes to it
Not sure what you're saying here. What's the relationship between #4 and #1-3? What is the green connector plugged into? Is that the alternator? What are the wire colors (main colors and stripes)?

Please address my comments to #7 and #9.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1-3 are loose connectors that idk where they go to, pic 4 is what im assuming one of the plugs goes to, not the alternator green connector the one thats on the block next to the oil pressure sensor. as for pic 7 thats the only plug close enough to plug in there. its a 3 prong opening but one is blocked off so the two off the tps itself fit rite in, that sensor was there ziptied on before i took it off, unless theres a diff connector that goes there. also an update. i just took my injectors out and turned my car to accesory and no fuel came out, i tested all the clips and there all getting power.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there was fuel getting to the rail tho
Old 07-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1-3 are loose connectors that idk where they go to, pic 4 is what im assuming one of the plugs goes to, not the alternator green connector the one thats on the block next to the oil pressure sensor.
I already listed where connectors #1-#3 go.

I now see the green area where a plug would go. How many terminals does it have? What engine and year does your block come from?

I've asked this several times without a response ---> Where is your ECT sensor and what color wires does the connector have?

as for pic 7 thats the only plug close enough to plug in there. its a 3 prong opening but one is blocked off so the two off the tps itself fit rite in, that sensor was there ziptied on before i took it off, unless theres a diff connector that goes there. also an update.
Please answer this simple question --- Is the connector plugged into the TPS sensor on the throttle body??? It doesn't look like the TPS sensor.

i just took my injectors out and turned my car to accesory and no fuel came out, i tested all the clips and there all getting power.
Again, all injector clips have the same Yel/Blk power wire, so it's the ground wire that tells you whether the clip is plugged into the spot for the matching cylinder. From what I see in your picture, the injector clips are installed in the wrong firing order -- this would prevent the engine from starting and running. Do you agree???
Old 07-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
The Yel/Red wire connector is for the engine oil pressure sensor.
Is it actually a Yel/Red wire? Or does it have a different strip color?

Quick Reply: 98 civic with lsv, spark, fuel, compression, and timing correct but no start