Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 Civic Hatchback - Swap with what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 Civic Hatchback - Swap with what?

I'm looking for a nice car I can make into somewhat of a sleeper, and I have heard a '98 Civic Hatchback is good, lgihtweight, and moddable. Of course, I will need to do lots of suspension work to make it stable. But what I'm wondering is, what is a good engine to replace the stock with? I would like something powerful off the bat, but moddable for a full intake, header, exhaust and more, like turbo. Any suggestions?

I have been recommended an Integra RSX engine, but I'm concerned about how much better I can make the engine.

Forgetting all this, is there another moderatly good-looking, exteriorly moddable car, that can fit a good, moddable engine in it, if that makes sense? Basically, my main concept is something lightweight that can have lots of internal mods, and be somewhat of a sleeper. I don't know that much about cars besides '93-'97 Corollas... so I could use some guidance, thanks.

[EDIT] Oh, and I don't pretend to know all that. I have never done header, don't even know what it is, or suspension work, but it will be no problem to do. I'm just a freeloading student, living off parents, and my dad is pretty much buying me this car and engine, and helping me work on it.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:24 PM

b18c gsr motor or type r motor....If u wanna go turbo gsr turbo is nice. if you dad is gonna pay fr the swap get a type r motor.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Trial User

Default Re: '98 Civic Hatchback - Swap with what? (XeN0s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XeN0s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm looking for a nice car I can make into somewhat of a sleeper, and I have heard a '98 Civic Hatchback is good, lgihtweight, and moddable. Of course, I will need to do lots of suspension work to make it stable. But what I'm wondering is, what is a good engine to replace the stock with? I would like something powerful off the bat, but moddable for a full intake, header, exhaust and more, like turbo. Any suggestions?

I have been recommended an Integra RSX engine, but I'm concerned about how much better I can make the engine.

Forgetting all this, is there another moderatly good-looking, exteriorly moddable car, that can fit a good, moddable engine in it, if that makes sense? Basically, my main concept is something lightweight that can have lots of internal mods, and be somewhat of a sleeper. I don't know that much about cars besides '93-'97 Corollas... so I could use some guidance, thanks.

[EDIT] Oh, and I don't pretend to know all that. I have never done header, don't even know what it is, or suspension work, but it will be no problem to do. I'm just a freeloading student, living off parents, and my dad is pretty much buying me this car and engine, and helping me work on it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

B16, B18B, B18C1, B18c5 are all better engines than the stock D16Y7.
you should pick an engine depending on what you want to do.

turbo, N/A?

IMO i would go with the B18C1 (GSR engine swap).
you can turbo it later on, or keep it stock. will be a whole lot faster than your D series motor.

also the K20 (RSX motor) will be a bit difficult swap to do, if you have no experience with it. the k series motors are new swaps that people are doing in there civic. not a lot of people have experience with swapping these.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:08 PM

Well first of all this is perfect example of how NOT to ask a question. "well im looking for a car that i want to be moddrable fast and i wanna do mods to it. Oh my daddy is paying for it." PFFF wtf? Give us detail, do you want top end power, low end power, torque, you want turbo, or do are you gonna work on internals to make all motor. As far as hatchbax go, well i would say they arent the best looking cars but they are light, if you would like a car thats ok speed and you want to work on it to make it faster, and looks good as well, then go with a integra ls/rs/gsr. Now all those cars are mainly built to have top end power. Now if you buy lets say a hatchback and drop a b20 in there, you will most likely be faster then gsr off the line but top end you will get owned, however if you get a b20 and drop a vtec head in there, oooooo you can kick some serious *** there. Or you can buy a b20 and turbo that, it will be quick as well. Anyways. List us the amount of money that you have to spend for the car, for mods, for motor, for Exteror etc. Let us know foo.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:12 PM

Default Re: (95Teggy)

Thanks for the replies...

I would go for low end power, since it makes more sense. I won't take it to the track or anything, and I don't plan on going high speeds on freeways. Now, if high end power means from speeds like 50-90? Then I would prefer high end power.

I would like turbo available for the engine, and I would say that there isn't a price limit (within reason) so something like a few thousand for the stock car, and maybe up to 4-6 thousand for engine swap. And a few thousand for various upgrades, including internals (I would like the exterior stock except for preformance upgrades or stability/safety so as to look more like a sleeper).

So what sounds good so far is the b18c GSR, but wouldn't the b20 with Vtec head be better (I can turbo this, right?) And how does the b20 compare with the k20? (I'm not sure on the prefixes)

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Modified by XeN0s at 1:01 PM 4/3/2004
Old 04-02-2004, 04:35 PM

Muahah i love that, vtec header haha. U mean vtec head dawg, thats different from header. Anyways the k20 comes in the rsx's and b20 comes in honda CRV. since its a "suv" they made it with more torque and thats whats gonna give you low end power, and again since its an "suv" they didnt make it to have much high end power cause its not to go great speeds, but you can always make it go faster and faster and faster.