Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 civic ex f22 build. insight needed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 civic ex f22 build. insight needed.

So i have a 98 civic that i just got a f22a6 for. Since im a noobie i need a few pointers. im looking for a reliable all motor automatic trans that will put out some serious power but nothing insane, id like to try for 190 area.

The details.
I have the complete block and head.
the head serial number begins with b2 so i am wondering if this is a stock a6b head or if it may be different since it came out of a 93 10th annavirsary special edition.

I have been reading up on the intake and im hearing i should grab one from the f23 motor. Also, i have been told i can keep my d16y8 trans and get a d to f adapter? is this true and if so i must say i have 205 on the tranny already so i am unshure building the motor and just throwing it in would be good.

Any pointers on the motor mounts and the requirements for the adaptation?
Ecu?

i know its alot but any advice is welcomed and appreciated.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 98 civic ex f22 build. insight needed.

Your not gonna get more than 5hp added to that thing. Why? BECAUSE ITS AUTOMATIC! You can't tune it, so your project has failed before it has even begun. Suggest you read the FAQ section at top of forum.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like i said,dude, im a noobie at this. if i cant make it work with an automatic. what type of tranny should i shoot for. i figured this forum woud give me advice...hence why i asked..im not really a websurfer either.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check out my build
Old 10-19-2014, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK. So one more shot at this
NOT a civic anymore. 95 lude(was hydrolocked).YEay!

Ganked a h23 non ntec head of the sad looking hydrolocked block. Thing had a 6x3 whole in the side and still ran! lol.Took it down to the shop and had a few valve seats resurfaced and two valves replaced.It wasnt warped,cams looked great. Then took the lower timing gear from the h23 and threw it on the f22 block i had for the civic b4 i let that thing take a break.

F22 block history:
Supposivly 90k original miles ,single owner, dude yanked it out to put a h22 in.

Now,

Runs, SMOKES the tires, its great. But now i have about 3300 miles on it and im running into what i see to be future big problems. dropped the first oil change and only dropped two quarts out....filled it back up new filter ect and ran it. two three days later it started to knock and, from the sound of the knock,it sound like it is the bottom end.Nothing crazy, but its that deep clunk, not like a tick, sooo...shoot. There is a difference between and valve knock and a rod knock, this much ive learned. Another thing that makes me believe this is, i remember hearing that the f22 crank and rod setup does not like reving over 5800 rpm. Therefor i am lead to believe that the crank pressure is pushing the oil into the cyclinders and burning it out. After riping the valve cover off i noticed some scratch marks on the cams. Nothing to bad, but ive only pushed 3300 miles on it.

It is my daily driver but i can either stop, rip it apart and do what i need to, or let it go until it breaks and then fix it. But i do not want to rip it down if it could possible just be the valves need adjustment or the cams replacing .

So i guess the jist of it is this,.... Does my theory of the oil loss add up? Is the crank useable possibly, if balanced, at up to 7k rpm? Also, is there any possibility that it could just be a weird sounding valve noise that is from breaking in the motor?
Old 10-19-2014, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also could the mod change the name to 95lude/g22 since i no longer am working with the civic.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If there are scratch marks on the cam, chances are the crank bearings (which have surface speeds 3x faster) are ruined. My guess is the engine ate too much oil, leading it to starve before you even got it. The low redline myth is just that - for instance jdm92_accorn has ran both an F22 and F23 bottom end a lot higher than that for quite a while.