Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Civic - CRVTEC engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic - CRVTEC engine swap

Hey guys. Ive been around.. I left the scene somewhere around the time ODB2 was starting to manufacture.

That said, I have some questions. I bought a 1998 2 door coupe. I want to do an engine swap. (CRVTEC)

In terms of engine management,
What are my options? (They DO plug into the OBD port and scan for codes at the emissions testing.)

Google isn't being very helpful as of late, and I thought maybe asking on here might net some faster info. Thanks in Advance. And in O'reilly's... And Autozone.

Last edited by Import Tuna; 09-01-2015 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Emissions question deleted
Old 08-21-2015, 01:44 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: 98 Civic - CRVTEC engine swap

<p>If you have to plug in, then you have to stay with something that has an OEM OBD2A ECU. &nbsp;A frankenmotor doesn't. &nbsp;If you want VTEC, use a GSR/ITR motor. &nbsp;If you want 2 liters, use a normal B20.</p>
Old 08-21-2015, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So. Just a ho-hum low compression, low RPM B20B4 is the only thing I can do?
Wow.
Seems kinda cut and dry.
And back in the day Ebay was selling harnesses that adapted OBD0 to OBD1 and had 3 wires for VTEC solenoid...

I would have thought advancements would have came along with the car models.

Thanks.
SS
Old 08-21-2015, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
<p>If you have to plug in, then you have to stay with something that has an OEM OBD2A ECU.</p>

Really? Why do you say that? I would think emission standards don't dictate OBD2. If he has a chipped OBD1 ECU that still uses the O2 sensors etc, I don't see what's stopping them from doing a normal code check off of that.

Not saying I know better I'm genuinely curious.

Seems like I've read build threads of B20VTEC's that kept the sensors. I could see it taking more time on the dyno over just having to map for timing but I don't see why it's not doable.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:53 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

There is no such oem ecu that will run an crvtec engine, you will need get an ecu that can be chipped and tune it. If you want an obd2 option gl.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:10 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinny
Really? Why do you say that? I would think emission standards don't dictate OBD2. If he has a chipped OBD1 ECU that still uses the O2 sensors etc, I don't see what's stopping them from doing a normal code check off of that.
Standards didn't come into play for code checking until OBD2 and even then it's like 5 standards for the 5 big car companies back then. OBD1 every single car make had it's own interface, hookup and software. Honda had a honda link (already forgot the name) which the hardware is close to a grand, and then the software subscription is also almost a grand a year.

Coupled with laws that make it illegal for any non OEM ecu/computers to provide OBD2 codes. So you can't get aftermarket engine management systems that will have obd2 plug and play do to legalities.

the easiest street legal to mod is OBD1 and earlier. After OBD2 to be street legal you need to do a piggyback system and it's not nearly as efficient.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:20 PM

<p>
Originally Posted by Import Tuna
So. Just a ho-hum low compression, low RPM B20B4 is the only thing I can do? Wow. Seems kinda cut and dry. And back in the day Ebay was selling harnesses that adapted OBD0 to OBD1 and had 3 wires for VTEC solenoid... I would have thought advancements would have came along with the car models. Thanks. SS
</p><p>I guess you decided to ignore the other options I gave you...and how do you not know that OBD variants aren't compatible? &nbsp;That's not even Honda 101. &nbsp;That's &quot;Introduction to Cars&quot; level stuff.</p><p>
Originally Posted by Shinny
Really? Why do you say that? I would think emission standards don't dictate OBD2. If he has a chipped OBD1 ECU that still uses the O2 sensors etc, I don't see what's stopping them from doing a normal code check off of that. Not saying I know better I'm genuinely curious. Seems like I've read build threads of B20VTEC's that kept the sensors. I could see it taking more time on the dyno over just having to map for timing but I don't see why it's not doable.
</p><p>It's not about the sensors. &nbsp;It's about the ECU. &nbsp;OP says he has to pass a plug in test. &nbsp;To pass a plug in test, he has to use an OEM ECU of the correct variant, meaning an OBD2A ECU. &nbsp;Simple as that. &nbsp;Again, well known fact of cars.</p>
Old 08-21-2015, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Standards didn't come into play for code checking until OBD2 and even then it's like 5 standards for the 5 big car companies back then. OBD1 every single car make had it's own interface, hookup and software. Honda had a honda link (already forgot the name) which the hardware is close to a grand, and then the software subscription is also almost a grand a year.

Coupled with laws that make it illegal for any non OEM ecu/computers to provide OBD2 codes. So you can't get aftermarket engine management systems that will have obd2 plug and play do to legalities.

the easiest street legal to mod is OBD1 and earlier. After OBD2 to be street legal you need to do a piggyback system and it's not nearly as efficient.
Interesting info. Oklahoma does not have checks. Yay street legal race cars! I was unaware the checks involved diagnostics, so I can see the need for OBD2.

Sounds like OP's best bet to get the 2.0 is a K or H series. Still a B18C isn't all that bad.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:51 PM

<p>Please, tell us how you'd recommend the OP complete an OBD2A-compliant K swap. &nbsp;An H22A3/A4, maybe...but you're telling a guy who's trying to remember how to swim that he should jump off a boat 10 miles off the coast, and swim home.</p><p>OP, go GSR. &nbsp;If you have the pockets for it, go ITR. &nbsp;Either way, find a transmission with an LSD. &nbsp;Good power delivery, fun to drive, and an easy swap to do while maintaining 100% emissions compatibility, even in the worst of the states.</p>
Old 08-22-2015, 10:20 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 98 Civic - CRVTEC engine swap

no. stop trying to make a square peg fit a round hole. if you have to pass emissions, but not inspection, you can use a complete obd-2 vtec engine, chip and tune an obd-1 ecu, and use the compatible obd2 ecu for emissions testing
Old 08-22-2015, 10:58 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

<p>What would be really helpful for everybody is for OP to publicize his location. This makes a big difference in what he can and can't do.&nbsp;</p>
Old 08-23-2015, 07:41 AM
Fish Twig

Here's your answer.

If there never was a 99-01 CRV with vtec coming out of the oem factory, than there is no ecu option. A b20 vtec requires proper tuning to run. If you're looking for someone to say "yes you can run a type r/gsr obd2 ecu" than you can go ahead and run it. But there is no 100% that they will pass you. Flip a coin and enjoy the crystal ball answer you get.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:13 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see why a stock OBD2 B16 ecu couldn't run a mildly built B20VTEC. It might not run it perfectly, but it should still be good enough to pass inspection, assuming nothing is too radically changed in the setup.

I would just get the B20VTEC swap done with ITR or CTR cams, 11:1 compression or so. 240cc injectors should run that just fine, and get that chipped and tuned on an OBD1 ecu. Then add in the extra O2 sensor and switch to an OBD2 ecu for inspection time.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy
<p>What would be really helpful for everybody is for OP to publicize his location. This makes a big difference in what he can and can't do.&nbsp;</p>
I guess that would make sense. I live in Williamson Co. Tennessee.

The result of their emission testing is thus:

Plug the "Test Van's PC" into the OBD2 diag port and scan for codes, pending or hard set.
Remove the gas cap and test venting. Apply cap to filler neck and test for vacuum.
Pass/Fail results from those criteria being as they should.
NOTHING further is done in our testing proceedures. No checking for VIN matchup, no checking engine serial numbers, no checking engine code CIA vin number, etc.

If "The van" says its clean then I get a happy face on a green sheet of paper that I can carry to my tag office and get a renewal or new tags. Sorry if this has caused any confusion. Again, its been quite a hot minute.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:54 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

<p>Then you need to run an engine with a factory ECU, or maybe you could get away with a b20-vtec using a factory GSR or Type R ecu.&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Do you do this testing every 2 years or something like that? Or is it just a once in a lifetime of your ownership testing?&nbsp;</p>
Old 08-24-2015, 09:07 AM
Fish Twig

Hmm....this will require a chipped ecu and a obd2a type r ecu PLUS all of the necessary obd2 components in place.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:12 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

<p>
Originally Posted by tony_2018
Hmm....this will require a chipped ecu and a obd2a type r ecu PLUS all of the necessary obd2 components in place.
</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>How so? He can't run a b20-vtec on a GSR ecu?</p><p>&nbsp;</p>
Old 08-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<p></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>How so? He can't run a b20-vtec on a GSR ecu?</p><p>&nbsp;</p>
I think is as simple as that, and use an Apexi vtec controller or something similar.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<p>Then you need to run an engine with a factory ECU, or maybe you could get away with a b20-vtec using a factory GSR or Type R ecu.&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Do you do this testing every 2 years or something like that? Or is it just a once in a lifetime of your ownership testing?&nbsp;</p>
HA, no.

Its an EVERY YEAR test.

I read that there is a way to "chip" an OBD2 ECU somewhere on the internet. I will see if I can find that again.
Guys, this is really informative. Thanks and please keep discussing!