Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 civic coupe with lsv swap problems, cut out at 3k, smoke, noisey head.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 civic coupe with lsv swap problems, cut out at 3k, smoke, noisey head.

i recently blew my old lsv due to timing belt going and ending up with bottom end knock, i picked up a new one from my job (honda/acura auto recycler) and installed it today, its a b18b1 bottom end with a gsr head, omni valve springs and retainers, skunk 2 pro series cams, rc 370cc injectors, ericks 70mm throttle body, skunk 2 cam gears, and came with a p72 with a sst chip that was ran with the motor before pulled, it had been sitting for a few months with no oil or anything in it. any way i put it in today with hasport mounts, new clutch, new tranny fluid and fully synthetic 5-30 oil. im using a 98 ex harness with a step down and everything plugged in with no problems as it did with my last lsv, i had spun the motor a few times by hand before anything, bled all lines etc, and started the car. it fired rite up and idles perfect at a little below 1k rpm. i let it get to operating temp and made sure it didnt over heat or anything, turned it off then back on to make sure no cel came on, everything seemed good, i reved it and it sounded like something was clunking around in the head, but only when i did quick revs not if i gradually raised rpms, i decided id drive it down the road and once it got to around 3k it just cut out, but would rev fine in nuetral, i came back checked all connections switched to my other ecu for my older lsv, still no codes but same problem through all gears and also was blowing smoke, hard to tell at night but looked black, also when i pulled the old spark plugs they were all white on the ends. im stuck and really dont know what to do, if any one could help me out id appreciate it. im still trying to figure it out and can give any other info needed
Old 08-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 civic coupe with lsv swap problems, cut out at 3k, smoke, noisey head.

Ok So more info. Did compression test today and it was 280 across all 4 cylinders, I know that's a good thing but will it not run rite on pump gas ?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 civic coupe with lsv swap problems, cut out at 3k, smoke, noisey head.

150 views and no one can lead me in the rite direction ? ive always had luck on here i know some one will come across it. earlier these guys i know that are really big into honda told me since its running high compression it needs to be tuned and needs race fuel, im running the ecu that came with the motor (p72 chipped) maps unknown. they also offered me another motor in exchange for mine, also offered me a dc2 integra bone stock, but i really wanna see if theres anything i can do at home to make it work without needing to spend 1000 + dollars