Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Civic/B18 swap - Low RPM Stall CEL Light (!!!Need Urgent Help!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 98 Civic/B18 swap - Low RPM Stall CEL Light (!!!Need Urgent Help!!!)

Hey guys I have a 1998 Honda Civic Si Coupe with a b18 gsr. I purchased the car from a close friend about 2 weeks ago. Its been running fine and i have had no issues until last night when i took it out for a drive up the street.

I was driving normally and shifting gears when all of a sudden my CEL light came on and the car started to loose power. When i let off the gas and the rpm's drop the engine "bogs" out and in a few cases i have had it completely stall (shut off). I then have to wait a minute and start up the car. The CEL light would be gone and then it would be fine for another 5- 10 min and again the same thing would happen.... I am clueless as to what has happened and i have no idea what i should do to fix it.

I am currently going to college and now that this has happened i am unable to go since i cannot drive it on the highway or any road period with this happening. The car is making about 400 hp at 15 psi boost. It is running straight pipes right now no cat or muffler (getting that done on Wednesday this week) and its running on 94 octane. I was told by the previous owner that the car has had a tune.

I was also told that it has a Hondata S300 ecu (which i have confirmed). I think the car is running very rich though which i think might have something to do with it choking itself out when i let go off the gas at low rpms. (Im not an expert) I would really appreciate some help in getting this issue sorted out as i am in alot of trouble if i cant get to school as i am nearing completion of my studies and exams are coming up. Thank you again for any help provided.

Last edited by Unfazed; 05-21-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Low RPM Stall CEL Light (!!!Need Urgent Help!!!)

If it's throwing a CEL, the first thing to do is pull the code. No one with the slightest hint of competency is going to tell you what it is or isn't without the code.

Also, did the person you bought the car from show you dyno sheets proving 400whp@15PSI? If he didn't, 99% chance he's full of ****.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
If it's throwing a CEL, the first thing to do is pull the code. No one with the slightest hint of competency is going to tell you what it is or isn't without the code.

Also, did the person you bought the car from show you dyno sheets proving 400whp@15PSI? If he didn't, 99% chance he's full of ****.
Yes i have the dyno sheets showing that the car is in fact making that. I will get it plugged in and find the code since this only happened last night and i have been working night shifts so i didnt get a chance to look at it. Ill post back what comes up. Thank you.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like i mentioned i had an appointment to get the exhaust done today, i just got back home and the car is now at the exhaust shop getting everything put on. For some weird reason my car did not stall, and the CEL light did not come on at all. Before we left in the morning i checked all the vacuum lines, spark plug wires etc and I have had no issues on the way there. I am picking the car up in the afternoon around 5 pm so i will post back if i get anything. For hooking the car up do i use the port underneath the steering wheel i am guessing its the OBD? or do i use the usb port on my HondataS300 which i have the software for on my laptop?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:09 AM
R.I.P. Mark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use the port on the ECU thats the connection to the Hondata s300
the other port will most likly not work any more due to the hondata setup
Old 05-09-2012, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright sound's good i will plug her up when i bring it back from the shop thanks again MrGrim.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 AM
R.I.P. Mark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just so you know Hondata s300 does not show error codes after a restart it clears them
each time the ingnition is turned off

oh and if you have connection problem make sure the usb driver is up to date
and try start program then turn on ignition not satrting it then plug usb in
diffrent ways work for diffrent cars
Old 05-09-2012, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MRGRIM
just so you know Hondata s300 does not show error codes after a restart it clears them
each time the ingnition is turned off

oh and if you have connection problem make sure the usb driver is up to date
and try start program then turn on ignition not satrting it then plug usb in
diffrent ways work for diffrent cars
Sooo thats why it probably wont show me it since you said it clears the codes when the ignition is off. That means that i will need to plug it to my laptop and then drive it until it shows the CEL light then check it correct?
Old 05-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright guys sorry its been a week or so, ive had some problems that came up and ive had to deal with some things at home. I went ahead and plugged the car to the comp today and i went with my friend for a drive. About 15 min into the drive the cel light came on and i caught the code on my smanager software. It said Error Code 11 (Engine Overheating).

I looked at my water temp gauge and the temp was hitting 200F. The engine just shut off and we pulled over to the side. We managed to get the car back to my garage since we were only 10 min away from home. I let the car idle and I did not see the rad fan cycle not even once.... It never turned on so i disconnected it from the connector, checked it and it was fine. I took 2 wires and connected the rad fan directly to the battery to see if maybe the fan was pooched. It cranked right up and started spinning so i ruled that out. What could the issue possibly be??? Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you again.

Is there a chance that the thermostat is dead? I doubt it but at the same time im not %100 sure.

Last edited by Unfazed; 05-21-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also is there a temperature sensor anywhere that I can change? Where would it be located?
Old 05-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 98 Civic/B18 swap - Low RPM Stall CEL Light (!!!Need Urgent Help!!!)

Code 11? Are you sure?
Old 05-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Civic/B18 swap - Low RPM Stall CEL Light (!!!Need Urgent Help!!!)

Yes on my Hondata S300 through my software on my laptop it said engine overheating.. Like I said I already checked the fan and its working only when I power it straight from the battery with 2 wires. Is there a temperature sensor anywhere or could it be the thermostat?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I checked the thermostat and its working properly, I also checked the ect sensor and its fine, what else am I missing here? I really need to get this fixed so if anyone has any suggestion on anything I have missed checking please let me know...
Old 05-22-2012, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It might be the fail safe on the hondata. Go to protection tab and see what its set at. When it think the enginge over heat it would cut boost but not stall out.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll go and plug it up and have a look at that tab to see if anything pops up.. I was looking at the fuse box just now that is beside the battery.. There is a relay for the radiator fan could that be causing the issue of the fan not turning on.. I didn't get a chance to see if it was pooched.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump~~~ Anyone?
Old 05-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump....