Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 jdm itr into 97 civic dx hatch

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 97 jdm itr into 97 civic dx hatch

i need wiring information
mount information
extra parts were gonna need (fuel line, throttle cables) etc

it will come with the harness but i know its rhd, can we use the stock dx harness what changes will we need to make,

as far as i know hes using the jdm itr ecu, if we need a civic to integra ecu harness piggyback i have one, and i also have a usdm spec ecu as well if needed.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 97 jdm itr into 97 civic dx hatch (slowpokesi)

basically as far as the mounts you need to get all 99 Si mounts and the rear mount bracket, Or you can get the Hasport mount kit for Ek's and that would probably be your best bet. You will regret it later if you dont use better mounts from the get go.
As far as wiring you need to post what ecu you are going to use and wether or not you are going to convert from OBD1 to OBD2 (this is what I always recomend) It's a lot easier and cheaper to run a chipped P28 than running the JDM P73 ECU. remember another thing is the JDM ECU has a governor that is going to cut off at 112 MPH.
Depending on what extra parts your motor brought will depend on what you'll need, If you want to keep your A/C then you will need to purchase a 94 DOHC VTEC Del Sol A/C mount bracket , so that your A/C will bolt up to the new motor. Your going to use an Integra "INLET" heater hose and reuse the civic "OUTLET" hose. As far as the throttle cable you need to use a 99 Si one.
Post up a few of the things I mentioned in order to give us a little more info ,so we can help you out.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 jdm itr into 97 civic dx hatch (SPOONfdEK)

are you sure we need si mounts?

his swap came with the itr mounts, i though i could use the itr front mount,

im pretty sure hes gonna stick with the jdm itr ecu, main problem is in texas, if you have an obd 2 car you they plug into ur ecu when doing emissions, if you convert to obd 1 there isnt a legal way to pass, you have to know a freind of a freind type thing

so hypethetically speaking, if he was going to use the stock dx harness, and the jdm itr ecu what wires would we have to add and what pin locations on the ecu.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 jdm itr into 97 civic dx hatch (SPOONfdEK)

Will using an usdm p73 cause me any problems?
Old 07-10-2003, 02:27 PM

Default Re: 97 jdm itr into 97 civic dx hatch (txhatch)

yes you do need the si mounts , the front mounts that look like U's are the same as the type r i believe, but you still need the si mount that under the cam gears and the rear tranny mount from the Si, thats why you should get them all new anyways. you also need the rear bracket that looks kinda like a "T" . As far as the wiring to make your life easier get a 96 EX vtec harness and the rest is plug and play
Old 07-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 97 jdm itr into 97 civic dx hatch

slowpokesi ,
You can reuse these mounts from the ITR engine you have:
- front tranny mount
- Reuse your civic TOP tranny mount on the ITR tranny, its compatible.
- A/C mount
- The rear engine 'T' bracket is debateable, I hear you can use the Integra one, but the safe route would be going with an Si coupe 'T' bracket.
- You won't be able to use the ITR timing beltside mount...its not EK style. The EK style mount I'm referring to is like the mount on your 97 DX SOHC engine, it will need to be from an Si coupe as well, just the black cast iron mount, you can reuse the brige part of the mount from the SOHC engine, here's a diagram:

As for wiring, like spoonfedef said, going with an 96-98 EX engine harness is the best thing you can do. Everything is plug n' play, from the engine all the way down to the ecu, no wiring needed at all. But, if you don't have access to an EX harness and have to reuse your DX harness, heres a digram of mine to help you:

(take note that you might need to perform an IACV pinout swap as well as adding the respective vtec wiring)

txhatch ,
Yes, using a US P73 ecu on a JDM ITR engine WILL have its share of problems, since JDM OBD2 engines are not equipped with the extra sensors that are found on US OBD2 B-series engines. So, if you used a US P73 ecu on this JDM ITR engine you will get a check engine light for the CKF sensor, VTEC pressure switch, possibly 2nd 02 sensor, and I think thats about it. the CKF sensor is the worsts of them all though. That is the sensor found on and iintegrated into the oil pump. So you'd have to put a US B-series 96+ Oil pump on the ITR engine to satisfy the US P73 ecu's bitchyness. I say stick with the JDM P73 ecu or go OBD1 for the time being, or if your the type who goes by the rules and would like to keep your car legit emissions wise, you'll have to add the CKF sensor/oil pump.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:11 PM

Default Re: 97 jdm itr into 97 civic dx hatch (Katman)

just to confirm if your ITR brought the B series dual post cast iron mount , that can also be used . its the same as the 99+ Si
Old 07-11-2003, 02:15 PM

hey Katman , one quick ? regarding the "T" bracket , Why do you say it's debatable as far as usiig the ITR one ?
Old 07-11-2003, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SPOONfdEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SPOONfdEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey Katman , one quick ? regarding the "T" bracket , Why do you say it's debatable as far as usiig the ITR one ? </TD></TR></TABLE>

In the past, I have friends who have used the DC rear engine brackets w/their B-series swap. Some will argue that a DC rear engine bracket will not work w/B-series swap in an EK chassis.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:34 AM

i am doing the swap at this moment but i can't figure how to wire up the iac valve if someone or anything can help me i would appreciate it btw thanks for that picture katman it will help alot now
Old 07-13-2003, 03:53 PM

Default Re: 97 jdm itr into 97 civic dx hatch (xSpooNxEkx)

what route as far aswiring and ecu and all that other stuff that we talkeed about did you choose . give me a better picture of what im dealing with .
Old 07-14-2003, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 jdm itr into 97 civic dx hatch (xSpooNxEkx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xSpooNxEkx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am doing the swap at this moment but i can't figure how to wire up the iac valve if someone or anything can help me i would appreciate it btw thanks for that picture katman it will help alot now</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, i've updated my 96-98 EK/DC ecu pinout diagram.
It now shows what IACV fix you need to perform:

Old 07-15-2003, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all I could say is Im glad I saved this diagram.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:19 PM

Default Re: 97 jdm itr into 97 civic dx hatch (b20_EK)

hey Katman,
I got a 99gsr in a 96ek dx. i used a 97 ex harness to put the motor in and wired the separate butterflies. Problem is the vtec is not kicking in. tried two different usdm p72 ecus and still nothing. has a slightly rough idle too...kinda like it has a small misfire every few seconds. any ideas? also, car still runs ok in high rpm, no limp mode.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This web site has most the info http://www.eddiesun.net/~trey/6gen/, its Trey's site . Also in Texas (at least Dallas) I know that if you are not abole to hook up with the obd2 scanner, they just dyno test you car and thats harder to pass . Hope you get it running soon.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 jdm itr into 97 civic dx hatch (TheKid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheKid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey Katman,
I got a 99gsr in a 96ek dx. i used a 97 ex harness to put the motor in and wired the separate butterflies. Problem is the vtec is not kicking in. tried two different usdm p72 ecus and still nothing. has a slightly rough idle too...kinda like it has a small misfire every few seconds. any ideas? also, car still runs ok in high rpm, no limp mode.</TD></TR></TABLE>

car misfires eh?
sounds ignition and/or timing related.
Have you checked your distribitors internals for broken/loose parts?
cam timing at TDC or off a tooth ?
Old 07-16-2003, 01:48 PM

have swapped in a known good distributor. still does it. have checked timing again and again. still has the problem. vtec still doesnt kick.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheKid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have swapped in a known good distributor. still does it. have checked timing again and again. still has the problem. vtec still doesnt kick.</TD></TR></TABLE>

is that US or JDM B18C you put in your EK ?
Old 07-16-2003, 02:24 PM

99 US gs-r with US p72
Old 07-17-2003, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Kat,

Looking at your EK pic above, I noticed something that is debatable...

I used a 96-98 EX engine harness and did not have to rewire the IACV. I did have to do it to a DX harness for a friend though.

Maybe I read it wrong but it sounded like you were saying an EX harness did need a wire change for the IACV to not throw a code 14.

Also, I'm using Gene's JDM P73 you sold me with the EX harness.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 jdm itr into 97 civic dx hatch (Trey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Trey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Kat,
Looking at your EK pic above, I noticed something that is debatable...
I used a 96-98 EX engine harness and did not have to rewire the IACV. I did have to do it to a DX harness for a friend though.
Maybe I read it wrong but it sounded like you were saying an EX harness did need a wire change for the IACV to not throw a code 14.
Also, I'm using Gene's JDM P73 you sold me with the EX harness. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm..
From what exact part of my diagram seems be debateable? I'd like to fix it if it seems to be misleading or confusing. Your right about the EX using a 2-wire IACV though. Maybe right after where it say 'IACV FIX EXPLANATION' is where it throws you off ? lemme know...cuz as far as I could see, I didn't mention anything about doing this fix on a 5-speed EX harness, there's no need to of course.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just for reference, or anyone who needs it the "T" Bracket (rear mount bracket 99-00 Si) part number is----------50827-S04-N10.