Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 hatch w/ LSVTEC q's...PLEASE READ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 hatch w/ LSVTEC q's...PLEASE READ!!!

Ok i have a 96 hatch w/ 99si head & tranny, and 95 b18b block. When me and my friend did the wiring, we just had a 99 si harness and ecu, so we used my dx harness, added the needed wires from the si harness and used my dx ecu. We don't have either o2 sensors plugged in yet because we havent had time to extend them, and we just havent hooked up the vtec wires because i wont be needing it breaking in my motor. So the only thing wrong was the idle, it felt pretty quick, evn though i would only go to about 4.5krpm, but the idle would fluctuate around 1.5krpm??? So we get a 97 GSR ecu and plug that in, ahhhh nice idle, flat and consistent just a little low but we can adjust the idle control valve, no biggy. So i start driving it and it feels like **** very boggy going into gear and feels slower than my stock d16y7. So im askin what the hell you think it is?? Need to plug in the o2 sensors, GSR ecu wrong? Need to check wiring or just use a different harness like 98 ex? Please help me out cause im tired of the bullshit
Old 11-28-2002, 11:39 AM

Default Re: 96 hatch w/ LSVTEC q's...PLEASE READ!!! (driftinHatch)

hook up the o2 sensors to help the ecu optimize the power curves. then go from there.
Old 11-29-2002, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 hatch w/ LSVTEC q's...PLEASE READ!!! (tnbigdawg)

check wiring plug in o2's and make sure you have no check engine lights.
then go from there.
Old 11-29-2002, 11:25 PM

Default Re: 96 hatch w/ LSVTEC q's... UPDATED PLEASE READ!!! (djhatch)

Ok, so we hooked up the primary o2 sensor, hooked up vtec, still dont have secondary o2 or knock. The car still felt kinda boggy, so we advanced the timing a little bit a couple times, the car felt alot better but still doesnt pull quite like it should, when vtec kicks in it seems to just make a noise, but not really any power, anyone have any ideas?

[Modified by driftinHatch, 12:34 AM 11/30/2002]
Old 11-29-2002, 11:52 PM

Default Re: 96 hatch w/ LSVTEC q's... UPDATED PLEASE READ!!! (driftinHatch)

hook up the remaining sensors. im not sure if the b18b blocks used knock sensors, what i did to my b18a block to incorporate a knock sensor was by drilling and tapping into the block.

i'm also using the 99-00 si harness and ecu to power my LS/VTEC in my 98 civic ex. it didnt work at first until i repinned some wires to the proper location.
Old 11-30-2002, 02:44 AM

Default Re: 96 hatch w/ LSVTEC q's... UPDATED PLEASE READ!!! (tnbigdawg)

it didnt work at first until i repinned some wires to the proper location.
this is what you gotta do. get the pinouts from both and repin as necessary.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:38 AM

Default Re: 96 hatch w/ LSVTEC q's... UPDATED PLEASE READ!!! (ahcjar103)

Im not using the si harness or ecu, i used my dx harness and added the wires i needed from the si, and i have a 97 gsr ecu, i was told that the 99-00 si harness would'nt work in the 96-98 but i guess i got some wrong information, could there be a problem with the harness or some kind of wiring that we didn't do? When i had the dx ecu in with the harness the car seemed to pull pretty hard, should i just go buy a new harness and start over, which would be the easiest to use, i still have the 99-00 si ecu so please help me out
Old 11-30-2002, 11:04 AM

do you still have the si harness? by the looks of it, it seems that you took it apart right? if you can, try puting it back together and use that. just get the Honda Electrical Manual and compare the two harnesses of the SI and DX, they're both in there. just repin the wires as neccessary.

if you decide to use keep the dx harness on with a gsr ecu, get an electrical manual as well. and compare the gsr with the dx and repin and add wires as neccessary. Make sure all sensors are hooked up.....then everything should work.
Old 11-30-2002, 02:33 PM

Yea, i think i just need to redo all the wiring, the car still idles funny, it doesnt jump like it used to, but when i start it up and idles at 2krpm, then drops to about 1.3krpm, but when i rev up to 2, the rpm seems to come down really slowly, and after it warms up when i drive, ill come to a stoplight with the clutch in and the rpm will drop to like 500, really weird, and it just doesnt seem to be making the power it should, i heard it could be because of the Intake manifold, i have 00 si and the ecu is used to the dual-butterfly gsr, so id have to repin those wires, im not sure but thanks for the advice everyone, if you have any more ideas or suggestions, just let me know, keep posting
Old 11-30-2002, 03:09 PM

yeah keep us posted, i always check my recent threads that i reply to.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

um the butterfly's arent really goin to hamper your car. i suggest lookin into your harness and making sure all the pins are in the right location. like the others have said. check this site it could help http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/6gtech/index.html
Old 11-30-2002, 06:11 PM

Default Re: 96 hatch w/ LSVTEC q's... UPDATED PLEASE READ!!! (djhatch)

Ok i have a couple of questions... again, can i use a primary o2 sensor from my dx as a secondary o2 sensor on my new motor (95b18b/99si)?? Cause the idle is still kinda funky and i wanna see if that helps anything. Also, how hard it is to put a knock sensor on a 95 b18b?? Because i know that will throw a code and of course i dont want a CEL. Thanks for the help
Old 11-30-2002, 06:24 PM

as far as putting a knock sensor on your block, it would we easier if you can have the motor out of the car cause you have to drill into the block. www.c-speedracing.com also has a neat way to install a knock sensor to thier blocks. check out their LS-CRV/VTEC techs pages.
Old 11-30-2002, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't bother reading the above stuff, but using an GSR ecu with a B16a/ ITR intake manifold is a bad idea. You will bog like crazy below 4400 rpms. Get a B16a/ ITR ecu and you will be happier.

I also didn't see you mention a crank fluctuation sensor. You need that too with an OBDII ecu.

Until you clear your ecu codes, you will have issues and not be happy.....
Old 12-01-2002, 01:11 AM

Default Re: 96 hatch w/ LSVTEC q's... UPDATED PLEASE READ!!! (Trey)

Yes! Thats exactly what my car does, i mentioned it in a post above, but someone said that it would'nt be a factor. As far as a crank fluctuation sensor im pretty sure that we plugged on in, but ill check again to make sure. Thanks alot Trey and everyone else for posting , hopefully ill get this bitch runnin right soon
Old 12-02-2002, 08:02 PM

Ok, so i thought it was the gsr ecu w/ the pr3 i.m, but ive heard from a few people that it doesnt matter and that it should work. They said the real problem is cause have a 99si head (obd2 1/2) on a 95 b18b block which is obd1. I was told i need to get an obd1 ecu now??? So, if anyone knows what the problem really is or that have hard information, please let me know, because i need to get my car running
Old 12-02-2002, 10:39 PM

i'm using a 99-00 SI head with a 92 LS block......using obd2 ecu and harness. everything runs perfect after adding all the sensors and wires..... so i dont know what they're saying.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:14 AM

i would just get a chipped p28 with an obd2 to obd1 jumper harness. sohc vtec motors dont run a knock sensor so your motor should work great with that ecu.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i used my dx harness and added the wires i needed from the si, and i have a 97 gsr ecu, could there be a problem with the harness or some kind of wiring that we didn't do? When i had the dx ecu in with the harness the car seemed to pull pretty hard,
When you switched ecu's did you repin a14 and a12. You must repin these as the dx wiring harness has 3 wires and the gsr ecu needs only two of them for the IACV. I think you need to eliminate the orange wire and tape it off.
Old 12-04-2002, 03:11 PM

Default Re: 96 hatch w/ LSVTEC q's... UPDATED PLEASE READ!!! (97hb)

Ok, the a12 and 14 repinning we did and we cut the orange wire off, im thinkin that i should just get a obd2-->obd1 harness and a chipped p28, but im still wondering why this won't work? We have everything repinned and everything is in place, i even tried to check for codes a couple times, but it didn't work, all i need to use is a paperclip in the blue plug right??? I know there should be a knock sensor code and secondary o2, but those shouldn't effect the performance as much as im bogging. So if i can ill get the codes and post em up and see if it's easier to help from there
Old 12-04-2002, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure the Map and tps sensors are not switched. Your not throwin any cels???
Old 12-04-2002, 08:02 PM

Default Re: 96 hatch w/ LSVTEC q's... UPDATED PLEASE READ!!! (97hb)

Yea, i know the secondary o2 and knock ill be throwin, but i tried to check for codes with a paper clip and i couldnt get it to work, i want to though, i dont know what i didnt do though.
It's really weird i just drove it again for the first time in a while, the damn thing idles at 2krpm, then i step on the brake and the rpm jumps a tiny bit, then i let it go and it jumps like 3-400 rpm. I think the wiring is just totally screwed.
For checkin the codes though all i need is a paperclip and stick it in the blue plug inside the green cover right? I did that and turned the car off and turned it to position 2 and the CEL just blinks once quick like it always does, paperclip or not. So I don't know if thats a wrong way to do it but i did a search and went to cspeedracing.com and thats what i got out of it so if there is a better way please enlighten me so i can find out what CEL's i have goin on
Old 12-09-2002, 08:34 PM

Ok, i checked the codes, i got 91=fuel tank pressure sensor low input???, 3= map sensor, 23=knock sensor cause i dont have one,cause its obd1 block, and 65=secondary o2 cause it's not hooked up. I think i might just have a bad map, but what the hell would cause the CEL 91??? Maybe since the map is fudged it causes unproper fuel delivery? I don't know, but would someone help me out?!!!!?!?
Old 12-09-2002, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Code 91 is there because they did not put a fuel tank pressure sensor in 96-98 hatches. You cannot get rid of it unless you get a jdm ecu. I also heard the 96 ecu's don't check for this sensor but am not for sure.