Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 GSR motor into 97 civic EX 5spd - pretty easy right? Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 GSR motor into 97 civic EX 5spd - pretty easy right? Tips?

I am going to be swapping in a 96 GSR motor into my 97 civic EX coupe soon. Here's the motor (currently in buddy's 97 hatch):

As far as wiring, according to Katman there shouldn't be ANY extra wiring to be done, other than extending wires because I have a 5-speed VTEC harness already. What wires need to be extended?

With mounts, I read that my stock driver's side upper mount will work. We have a 96 Integra LS parts car that we can use for any other mounts we need. Do I need a 99-00 Si rear lower mount/bracket, or rear tranny mount/bracket, or both? I don't know the difference.

What about the front lower tranny mount? Use my stock D16 one, or do I need one with the GSR tranny I'll be running? It doesn't have one, but I'm wondering which one I should use.

What are all of the mounts I need? The guides I have seen are VERY general IMO.

Finally, I'm running a chipped P28 with Crome. Can I get the GSR running with a P72 map just fine, or do I have to do some wiring for the butterflies on the stock GSR IM? I know nothing about them, other than I want to disable them right?

Forgive me, I'm new to swaps. I'm a D-series turbo ninja (not for long)!

Anything else I need to know about this swap before I get to work on it next week? Tips? Pointers?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 GSR motor into 97 civic EX 5spd - pretty easy right? Tips? (boostincoupe)

Mounts you'll need (reuse the others):
-Si Rear tranny/main bracket (huge T-shaped bracket in the rear)
-CRV/Del Sol vtec lower A/C bracket(if you want to use your civic compressor)
-Si upper driver's side bracket (the piece that bolts to the motor behind the t/b cover...GSR piece will not line up)
-Si/Integra/Del Sol vtec lower front tranny bracket

The ECU route is up to you, you can just use a Skunk/blox/etc. manifold w/o butterflies, or you can just remove 'em and bolt the factory GSR manifold back together without them (some people claim this helps, I have no personal experience with it.)

Hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 GSR motor into 97 civic EX 5spd - pretty easy right? Tips? (Coyote1800cc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Coyote1800cc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mounts you'll need (reuse the others):
-Si Rear tranny/main bracket (huge T-shaped bracket in the rear)
-CRV/Del Sol vtec lower A/C bracket(if you want to use your civic compressor)
-Si upper driver's side bracket (the piece that bolts to the motor behind the t/b cover...GSR piece will not line up)
-Si/Integra/Del Sol vtec lower front tranny bracket

The ECU route is up to you, you can just use a Skunk/blox/etc. manifold w/o butterflies, or you can just remove 'em and bolt the factory GSR manifold back together without them (some people claim this helps, I have no personal experience with it.)

Hope this helps. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good info! What about the driver's side upper mount? Can a 96 integra LS mount work instead of the 99-00 Si? I only ask because I have it available.

Also, I won't be running A/C, P/S, cruise control or any of that jazz. Straight motor.

Question though, what's the best way to remove power steering from my car when I swap the motor? When it was pulled from my buddy's hatch it didn't have P/S, but will I have to swap out my steering rack to run no P/S? I know there's a way to do it without swapping racks, but I don't know how.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 GSR motor into 97 civic EX 5spd - pretty easy right? Tips? (boostincoupe)

bump
Old 05-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good info! What about the driver's side upper mount? Can a 96 integra LS mount work instead of the 99-00 Si? I only ask because I have it available.

Also, I won't be running A/C, P/S, cruise control or any of that jazz. Straight motor.

Question though, what's the best way to remove power steering from my car when I swap the motor? When it was pulled from my buddy's hatch it didn't have P/S, but will I have to swap out my steering rack to run no P/S? I know there's a way to do it without swapping racks, but I don't know how.</TD></TR></TABLE>

All integra mounts are identical, so the LS mount = GSR mount...no, the LS bracket will not work, you'll have to get the Si bracket.

If you're not going to use your a/c, then either integra or si/crv/delsol vtec a/c bracket will work (the civic compressor won't line up with the integra bracket).

I've seen people seal the system off with fluid inside (it also acts as a lubricant), but ultimately the 'proper' way to do it is replace it with a non-assisted rack.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.phear7imports.net/trey/6gen

Old 05-06-2006, 08:35 PM

Default Re: 96 GSR motor into 97 civic EX 5spd - pretty easy right? Tips? (Trey)

sorry for hijacking i just did the same swap into my 96 civic. but wanted to retain the power steering.

does anyone know what pump and brackets i can use for this.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 96 GSR motor into 97 civic EX 5spd - pretty easy right? Tips? (zulued)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zulued &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry for hijacking i just did the same swap into my 96 civic. but wanted to retain the power steering.

does anyone know what pump and brackets i can use for this.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Use the pump and bracket that came with the swap.