Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 civic w 94 JDM GSR idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 civic w 94 JDM GSR idle problem

I read the forms online and thier great, but I still have not fixed my problem. I have a 96 civic DX coupe 5-Speed with a 94 JDM GSR and a Skunk2 intake manifold. The EWH is from another 97 non-vtec civic. The problem I have is the car idles to about 3 1/2 to 4 RPM continuosley (with out driving it). My distribuator is OBD 1, JDM ECU (stock) GSR OBD1, I have the ECU jumper hardness for OBD1 to OBD2a. This is what I have done: I used the original EWH teg distribuator clip and wired it to the 97 EWH; I extended the oxygen sensor wires; ran the v-tec wires (not really concered at this point); the sensor behind the throtle body closest to the fire wall was a 3 wire and I converted to a 2 wire using the integra clip (the thrid wire was orange and it is not conected to anything); out of desperation I checked the distribuator wires again and I switched the blue wires around (thinking I might of mixed them up) Light blue w/ Dark blue and vise versa. (the car did not idle but the RPM guage cluster did not work; i do not know what the car was idling at.) I will take pictures shortly and upload them. Any help is appreciated and thanks to all the honda Fans for the online forms.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: 96 civic w 94 JDM GSR idle problem (EKw94JDMGSR)

check to see if your throttle cable is too tight. It happens. If your unsure just take it loose from the intake manifold bracket all together. Crank car. It should idle, if that's the problem. IT WILL NOT TAKE GAS UNLESS you manually turn the throttle bracket, located on the throttle body by hand. You do not need to touch this...just undo it and see if the idle goes down.

Also go buy some carb cleaner with a nozzle. (skinny, long nozzle). Spray it where the intake manifold meets the cylinder head. Also spray it around the injectors and where the throttle body meets the intake manifold. If the car stumbles , then rpm picks up or dies down when spraying, you have a vacuum leak. Also check all your vacuum hoses for pin holes or leaks.

do this then report back. I'll suggest something else. But you have to rule these types of things out first.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 civic w 94 JDM GSR idle problem (AllMtrRex)

unplug the iacv on the back of the intake manifold and if the idle go down then its wired wrong
Old 11-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 civic w 94 JDM GSR idle problem (LA_HONDAS)

Thank You all for the quick reply. I will try all this on Friday mourning and update the same day immediatley.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 civic w 94 JDM GSR idle problem (LA_HONDAS)

First of all: Props to Sergio H. wiring the car without a complain. We just finished working on my ride all day now (at around 2000). This is what happened: the throtle body gasket was defective because when I sprayed the carb cleaner on it, the engine stopped idling. So I got black gasket maker (slilicone), traced the throtle body, waited five minutes put it back together and it stopped idling. Next Sergio went on to the Vtec wiring; completed the vtec wiring. The start up was good and smooth. I tried the car out for the first time now (parked since memorial day 2008). It was the shitttt! Raced 5 times that night against a B20/Vtec. Sadly lost all 5 times but its all good, I am good sport. On my way back my speedometer was not working, so I replaced the fuse and it was working fine again. I will update the thread with photos by the end of this week. Just got to clean the ride for its photo shoot. I am looking into a NOS setup for christmas, I think I will get the ZEX brand. Any info on DRY or Wet set ups? Thank you all for continued support. ;
Old 11-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 civic w 94 JDM GSR idle problem (AllMtrRex)

My speedometer keeps failing. The fuse that powers the speedometer keeps blowing. I increased the amperage but it still keeps blowing. I also noticed that when this happens the vtec does not engage. I believe this same fuse also powers the alternator/battery current because at night my lights went dim. When I replaced the fuse my gauage cluster and lights got brighter. I will look over the wiring for lose wires. Any advise from the Experts or Fans?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 civic w 94 JDM GSR idle problem (EKw94JDMGSR)

I unpluged the alternator wires, O2 sensor wires, speed sensor wires, unpluged the ECU, unpluged the sensor under the throtle body, and I unpluged the Vtec wires. At this point the fuse still kept blowing when I turned the key. The fuse is under the dash. It is the 4th fuse starting from the left to the right (it is rated at 7.5 amps.) It is in the middle row. Any suggestions or advise?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Vtec was wired wrong to stock EWH. This made the many wires melt together and cause a short. In my case the Fuse kept poping (alternator and speed sensor-fuse) Bought a new EWH and wired it all over. Motor works great now. I did have a faulty throtle body gasket, which lead my engine to idle all the way to 4K rpm and down to 1k rpm. Used gasket maker and still keeps working great. Thank you for the advise on the Carb Cleaner found problem fast. Thank you all for your input. pictures coming up soon...