Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95head on 90 - intake valve spring/stem #1 wont pop back up, crank stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 95head on 90 - intake valve spring/stem #1 wont pop back up, crank stuck

so i finally got the tensioner and crank loose, put on the belt and everything. went to adjust all the valve clearances when i notice intake valve #1 (closest to belt) is stuck down halfway. i turn the crank a few times and it pops back up. hm strange. i do it a few more times then it doesnt even pop back up anymore.

friend told me to try tapping on the valve stem. i got a screw driver and tapped on it a few times, but now it sunk even lower!
also when i go to turn the crank, it wont let me budge more than two cam teeth in either direction! this is all at TDC.

whats going on?! it couldnt be old cam grease could it? i put on hte cams a few days ago with grease but ended up taking it back off until today. had to wipe off the yellowed grease (white when new). what are the stock springrates? dried up grease cant hold down that much pressure can it?

also i did not change the valve seals. the ones that came with the head are still being used. i bought it off some guy..

Old 07-02-2002, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 95head on 90 - intake valve spring/stem #1 wont pop back up, crank stuck (XDEep)

sounds like you have a stuck valve or a lot of carbon build up. You might be able to take the intake of and look at the valve and see. Also if you can find a compression tester that you can stick in the spark plug hole and put straight air to it to try and blow it out.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:33 AM

Default Re: 95head on 90 - intake valve spring/stem #1 wont pop back up, crank stuck (XDEep)

Reasons why ur valve is getting stuck.
1. Intake valve is bent <-- engine probably went to valve float.
2. Valve guide is rusted <--- If coming from an engine the has not run in a while.
3. Valve is rusted.

Ur gonna have to take the head off to get it fixed right.

Old 07-02-2002, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 95head on 90 - intake valve spring/stem #1 wont pop back up, crank stuck (johnd)

1. i dont think its bent cuz it never did this while the head was off, or before the cams holders were tightened down..

2. it hasnt been run in a while, ya there was some rust on the rocker arms n junk.. and on the actual valves were some crusty residue i had to scrape out, but not completely, but not enough to cause this i dont think.

can rust cause it to actually seize like it is now? i try to pry it up with a screwdriver and it doesnt budge. its still stuck down about 3/4 inch.

ok so the crank isnt stuck anymore.. i can rotate it down more but of course not past tdc. i just got a valve compressor so i guess im gonna be pretty busy again.

is it ok to reuse the new gaskets i put on? thanks for the responses
Old 07-02-2002, 07:30 PM

can rust cause it to actually seize like it is now? i try to pry it up with a screwdriver and it doesnt budge. its still stuck down about 3/4 inch.

ok so the crank isnt stuck anymore.. i can rotate it down more but of course not past tdc. i just got a valve compressor so i guess im gonna be pretty busy again.

is it ok to reuse the new gaskets i put on? thanks for the responses
Valve still stuck and cant be pryed by screwdriver?? I say its bent.
Rust can cause this too because the clearance between valve and valve guide is really small. A small rusted part can jam itself in there and get it stuck.
About reusing the gaskets.... I would not do it. It has already been compressed and might leak later on.