94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question. - Page 3 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #51
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Okay so there is definatly some great information being put out on this thread and it's greatly appreciated. So let me clarify on some things, I just bought a jdm B18C1 95 I believe gsr motor with jdm harness attached which I will resource some wires for this swap. Also the ecu I have is the p75 for a automatic not manual, but as far as the company I got the motor from and hasport confirmed that I can use it for this swap but I will get a cel for the automatic lockout solenoid or something like that. But hasport said just plug in your p75 when doing emissions and I should be good. Also they told me that the pin outs are the same as the p72 a01 so I should be fine. So I need to run some wire from a17 to the IAB as long as there is a metal connector in a17 then run the 12v+ to yello/black and I should have a functioning IAB? Also I will have to wire in vtec and knock sensor as well for this build witch I understand how that needs to be done. Hope I cleared some things up on this.
Hybridguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #52
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sorry I ment the p72 for an automatic!!!
Old 12-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #53
yippee-ki-yay

There is no such thing as a JDM B18C1.

JDM engines only come with four alphanumeric stamp. B16B or B18C

USDM engines have five alphanumeric stamps, e.g. B18C1 or B18C5

You need to identify whether you have a USDM or JDM engine first.

Look here. It would be best for us if you posted a clear picture of your engine.

eH.
eHMxhACk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #54
Honda-Tech Member

I'm at work at the moment but I will get a picture of that as soon as I can. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:31 PM   #55
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so the engine is an hour away from me at my friends property because I live in an apartment and can't do this kind of work were I live and I'm not able to drive there tonight. So I'm going to try and get my friend to snap a picture of it tomorrow to clairify this.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:20 AM   #56
yippee-ki-yay

Have you buddy take a photo of the block ID and of the intake manifold. Clear pictures, not the kind people take when they're selling things on Craigslist.

eH.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:57 AM   #57
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybridguitarist View Post
Okay so there is definatly some great information being put out on this thread and it's greatly appreciated. So let me clarify on some things, I just bought a jdm B18C1 95 I believe gsr motor with jdm harness attached which I will resource some wires for this swap. Also the ecu I have is the p75 for a automatic not manual, but as far as the company I got the motor from and hasport confirmed that I can use it for this swap but I will get a cel for the automatic lockout solenoid or something like that. But hasport said just plug in your p75 when doing emissions and I should be good. Also they told me that the pin outs are the same as the p72 a01 so I should be fine. So I need to run some wire from a17 to the IAB as long as there is a metal connector in a17 then run the 12v+ to yello/black and I should have a functioning IAB? Also I will have to wire in vtec and knock sensor as well for this build witch I understand how that needs to be done. Hope I cleared some things up on this.
Right, you will need to deal with IAB, VTEC, and Knock.

Since this whole business started with you asking about IAB, I ASSume you are putting the US B18C1 intake on your JDM B18C, yes? If yes, you will have the ability to add Evap Purge. This should be wired in your LS body harness, if the body was manufactured for US market, but I do not think the JDM engine harness is wired for Evap Purge? Something to think about...
94 Civic Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:57 AM   #58
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eHMxhACk View Post
There is no such thing as a JDM B18C1.

JDM engines only come with four alphanumeric stamp. B16B or B18C

USDM engines have five alphanumeric stamps, e.g. B18C1 or B18C5

eH.
I did not know that! Cool, thanks...
Old 12-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #59
yippee-ki-yay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si View Post
I did not know that! Cool, thanks...
Just to be clear, there is a JDM GSR B18C engine. It just doesn't have a 1 at the end. The JDM ITR engine code is also B18C.

The JDM GSR B18C will have a P72 head stamp as well as the GSR intake manifold.

The JDM ITR B18C will have a PR3 head stamp and usual intake manifold.

The GSR intake manifold is unusual in that it's "upside-down" when compared to the other B-series manifolds.

eH.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #60
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so I'm still waiting for some pictures of the stamp that's on the block but I'm almost 99% positive that it's B18C jdm gsr motor. I got the motor from a company that sells jdm motors and they have a pretty good rep. I do know that the valve cover is black, the stamp on the head does say p72 I can confirm that. Also the IM is the the gsr because it does look sorta upside down compared to the Ls IM. I can confirm that it does have the IAB located under the IM. I have a complete sorta running Acura Ls and so I will be useing the harness off the Ls for this swap. There was the gsr harness that came with the motor that I will resource some wires for the build. I am new to the honda world so thanks for being patient with me. Like I said before I only have the p72-901 automatic ecu that I got with the motor. I was told that it will work for this swap. is there anything that I could have trouble with or will this be a pretty straight forward swap?
Old 12-06-2016, 02:58 PM   #61
Honda-Tech Member

If all else fails and I can't get pictures of the things requested than I will be going down to we're the car is on Thursday so I can pull the Ls motor and drop in the gsr motor. I will get pictures Thursday if all else fails.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #62
yippee-ki-yay

No need for pictures. You sound confident about what you have. It's really the intake manifold that affects what you'll need to do.

Why not use the GSR engine harness? Has it been cut?

eH.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #63
Honda-Tech Member

i will need to examine the harness and see, but it did look like some things were cut. I was under the impression that I couldn't use the jdm harness for the swap. At least that's what I was told. and also with the gsr IM will I not be able to hook up the evap?
Old 12-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #64
Honda-Tech Member

Or I guess what I ment to ask is what sort of problems am I going to have useing the gsr IM?
Old 12-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #65
yippee-ki-yay

The GSR intake manifold and evap have nothing to do with each other. I have a USDM GSR engine so I'm not sure exactly what does and doesn't work.

You're going to have to wire up for either the evap or the IABs.

I also have a Civic that has VTEC, but with the LS Integra inwould imagine you need to wire for VTEC as well.

You've reached the end of my knowledge, sorry.

eH.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:09 PM   #66
Honda-Tech Member

as far as the company I got the motor from, the guy running it has been in the business of Honda Acura engine swaps for almost 30 years and he told me it should be mostly plug and play. I was aware that I have to wire vtec and KS but the IAB I really wasn't understanding. Thanks for all your input in this thread. I hope it will help others out as it has helped me. thanks again!!
Old 12-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #67
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
What gauge are these wires?
It looks like the engine harness wires are 18 gauge.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:47 PM   #68
Honda-Tech Member

So a little update on this topic regarding my setup. The Ls 5 speed that I'm pulling out of a 94 teg has the obd1 p75 ecu and I found a local tune shop that will convert it to vtec chipped and socketed with the gsr basemap for 100$ it will have the ks deleted and won't be able to run the IAB. I assume that I can have them make this work somehow or I can bypass this in someway. Im not sure how to make the IAB that will not be hooked up, work in a way that will be benifishal to my setup. Open all the time or closed all the time? Can I wire it up to the evap? I know earlier on in this thread I talked about no evap vs IAB, can I switch this around because it has the same plug?is the IAB not even worth it? Stock jdm gsr B18C 1995 with the dual butterflies IM. No current mods, not planning to go turbo. Any info or advise would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-18-2016, 11:54 PM   #69
Honda-Tech Member

I'm ok with no knock sensor, I will always be running the 92 octane gas with all schedualed maintenance up to date. Useing the best oil, plugs and dizzy etc to make sure engine runs at its best.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:18 AM   #70
yippee-ki-yay

Why not just spend the additional $60 and run the engine with the proper ECU?

eH.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #71
Honda-Tech Member

I could by from eBay, but your not sure what your really getting. I've heard of ppl getting burned, and not receiving the right ecu that was in the picture. I don't mind going this route of chipping my p75 with the gsr basemap, because I will eventually get the aftermarket intake. But I will always be keeping in eye out for the right ecu from the right source.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #72
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eHMxhACk View Post
Why not just spend the additional $60 and run the engine with the proper ECU?

eH.

This ^^^

I don't like the idea of taking away functionality (knock). If you don't need IAB, that is one thing, but the B18C is set up to use a knock sensor as a dependent variable to its management, I would think twice before deleting.

Just my $0.02...
Old 12-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #73
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
This ^^^

I don't like the idea of taking away functionality (knock). If you don't need IAB, that is one thing, but the B18C is set up to use a knock sensor as a dependent variable to its management, I would think twice before deleting.

Just my $0.02...
i would agree with your statement but this the only option I have until I can find a p72 ao1 used or by a new one. The other option is run the auto jdm p72 with all bells and whistles. But I know as long as I use the 92 octane gas and run it how a gsr should be ran I should be fine as far as the many sources have said regarding this.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #74
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
It looks like the engine harness wires are 18 gauge.
I did some wiring fixes and re-pinning at the ECU connectors, it feels like I could have gone a little skinnier - probably 20 gauge is factory at those ECU connectors: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-.../#post51183210
Old 01-29-2017, 05:00 PM   #75
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero View Post
Maybe I'm thinking too simply but why not run the wire to A17, then the other side to a switched 12V source (I've often just tapped the EVAP plug since its right there. Do a test, start at idle to see if they are closed and then rev it to the switched RPM) and see if it operates as normal. If not just reverse the wires in the connector and see if it does it then.
I did just this. While I was cleaning up the wiring to the Evap Purg I added a YEL/BLK wire that I can use for my switched 12v (+) for the IAB.

Thank you for the idea!