Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92-95 H22A in 96 Accord LX Issues, mostly idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92-95 H22A in 96 Accord LX Issues, mostly idle

I want to give you a history of my issues so someone can better help. I have swapped an H22A Auto into an Automatic Accord LX, be advised that this was all done by myself in a garage in two days on leave with no experience just what I read online. so here's what I did.... I purchased a Boomslang wire harness to convert it from OBD2 down to OBD1. I bought the Skunk2 Intake manifold and 68mm throttle together. This came with various block off plates and removed several various systems that Skunk2 found unnecessary, but are they? I am having surging issues, always have since the install (Kinda wish that I installed the engine and tested before modding anything on it.) I have two check engine lights code 36 and code 41, the first one is from Japan's four wheel steering thing and the 41 is O2 sensor. I dont know if the O2 sensor is related to this problem. I hooked up the vacuum lines and blocked off the rest of the nipples on the manifold. I drove this car from Ohio to California without problems, other then it was retarded slow. Found out upon arriving and tinkering with it, because it didnt make sense, that the TPS sensor was not calibrated. fixed that and then WOOAAHHH VTEC. The thing screamed down the road. Tranny couldn't handle it and tore up the gears. Sent out to IPT transmissions to beef it up and high stall convertor installed. But from time to time it would idle at around 900 in park and neutral and then surge up to 1500 and just bounce like it was breathing heavily. It would only stop if put in a gear. Also, occasionally it would and still does go into a "limp mode" where it wont go and doesnt go above like 3K RPM unless I reset the battery. I actually installed a battery cut off inside so I could reset at a light if it did it. So back in October my wife drove the thing to the store and the MAP sensor quit and it ran like crap and would barely run. MAP sensor CEL as well, I let it sit over the winter because now I am stationed in Buffalo, NY. Last week replaced the MAP sensor with one I found on Ebay, used MAP sensor... started the car and the thing started right up to my surprize, but now the idle surges in park and neutral at around 1200-1800RPM and in gear 100-600RPM all the time... it is embarrassing while driving, sitting at a light, or parking. I look like a retard revving their engine over and over and I can't figure it out and make it stop. I can't think of any vacuum leak, or possible sensor that is still on the car that could be bad... I feel the Manifold and Throttle from Skunk2 and systems/sensors it bypass's or removes are prolly to blame, but need to figure this thing out. I could trial and error it but dont feel like blowing money and time if someone on here could save me the hassle....
Old 04-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92-95 H22A in 96 Accord LX Issues, mostly idle

I would take off your IACV and clean the **** out of it, including the ports on the manifold with some carb cleaner. but allow it to completely dry before installing it.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so I replaced the PCV valve, kinda gummed up... Bled the coolant and topped it off, took off my IACV but it is the old style that you can't open so I just spray the **** out of it with carb cleaner, tightened it back down. Then I started it up and adjusted the throttle cable and got the idle to 750-800RPM sounded good.... went around and sprayed carb clean around the various vacuum lines and gaskets on egr/manifold/throttle... nothing no increase in idle. So no vacuum leak... seemed to run good until about 3-5 minutes of running and it warmed up... blipped the throttle to see if it was going to be okay, and surging....
Surge Surge SURGE!!! F my life.... I dont want to shell out 170-250 for a new IACV but thats where I am at next. O2 sensor still throwing code 41 for heater.. going to run a wire from it to A6 on the ECU and see it that works.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so found the issue with the Idle, apparently when I put the H22 in and swapped out the manifolds, the clearance to the firewall was like 1/2 inch... hiding a little solenoid valve that had a hanging open vac line. plug it in and walla... no surge. everything running smooth.
Just needed to get in there and poke around to figure it out. Thanks for the help.