Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Hybrid / Engine Swaps
Reload this Page >

89 CRX H swap with Innovative mounts and pro traction bar, experience? Fit?

Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 CRX H swap with Innovative mounts and pro traction bar, experience? Fit?

Old 08-21-2018, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default 89 CRX H swap with Innovative mounts and pro traction bar, experience? Fit?

So I've emailed Innovative and some how they don't know how their H swap mounts and Pro traction bars will work in a CRX??? Kind of blows my mind with all the good things I hear about them. Does anyone have experience swapping in an H engine and trans into a CRX using their mounts and traction bar?

I know the H2B stuff will stick out of the hood, reason I want to stick with an H trans. ESP's kit leaves the hood in tact, but I like Innovative's traction bars better, want to stick with the same mfg for mounts and traction bar. No idea about Innovative's setup and David at Innovative doesn't know either LOL. I've got my donor 94 prelude ready this is the only issue holding me back. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 89 CRX H swap with Innovative mounts and pro traction bar, experience? Fit?

Bump..
Old 08-27-2018, 04:24 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 89 CRX H swap with Innovative mounts and pro traction bar, experience? Fit?

What exactly are you asking? What makes you think they will not work?

If something doesn’t fit then I would send it back.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They're very vague in their description. They say their pro series traction bars will work with an H swap but requires modification. I email twice and their response is they don't know. I ask them how does their swap kit sit the H engine and trans in the CRX and still no helpful answers. Do I need to cut the webbing of the hood or completely space it up? Are these swap mounts only made for h2b? What knuckles do I need to swap to since it's an HF to use your custom axles in your swap kit that's almost $1,000? What do I need to cut/weld/modify to the vehicle? Some are able to keep their passenger mount, is this the case with your swap mounts? Etc.

I'm a mechanic with access to a shop, so I can't just leave the car sitting for months waiting on Innovative if it doesn't fit right or whatever. I'm asking some basic stuff here..

I know most just go h2b but I'm totally happy with the H trans and don't want my hood sticking up 3 inches or have a huge hole cut out. Fine for a race car but no go for a street car IMO. ESP was super helpful I just want a traction bar with a single heim instead. And to play it safe I'd rather have mounts and traction bar from the same company so I won't have any surprise issues.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:01 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

I would think that if you want a complete bolt-on solution, Hasport would be your better bet. They are always very helpful, and provide some pretty detailed instructions for their swap kits...

EFH1? - H-Series (EF) - 88-91 Civic/CRX (EF) - Civic/CRX - Mounts

Even then, reading through the instructions it sounds like some cutting and grinding will be required. It also has details about hood fitment.

There are some H series CRX out there, and the ones I have seen have to completely cut out the hood to fit around the engine
Old 08-28-2018, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the link. Yeah I heard the Hasport kit needs the hood raised. The ones you see with the hood totally cut open are mostly h2b swaps with a plate. Was looking into the Brogh plateless kit but I'd have to get an LSD ITR tranny and it still won't be that great with the cable anyway and full hydro swap is over $400. So ITR trans and full hydro is almost 2k, not worth it to me. I know the ESP kit leaves the hood in tact. I may just go with esp mounts and innovative pro traction bars since innovative is totally unhelpful. Trying to find a 90-93 accord intermediate shaft is a pain too. I think with hasport I could use my prelude one.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I'm going to go with the innovative kit and pro traction bars and hope they don't give me too much hell. From what I've been able to find, the stock hood clears usually. Was hoping I could use my 94 prelude half shaft, no luck finding a cheap 90-93 accord one.

EDIT: Swapshop is the best, so I can use my donor 94 prelude vtec intermediate shaft with their axles!

Last edited by THEhomelessONE; 08-28-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I heard back from Innovative and the bar hits the crank pulley. Any smaller crank pulleys you guys could recommend? Why not just mount the bars to the bottom of the LCA's? Surprised I haven't read more about these issues. Only found two threads, one guy mounted his stock radius rods to the bottom and another guy had a custom driver side bar made.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:12 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by THEhomelessONE View Post
So I heard back from Innovative and the bar hits the crank pulley. Any smaller crank pulleys you guys could recommend? Why not just mount the bars to the bottom of the LCA's? Surprised I haven't read more about these issues. Only found two threads, one guy mounted his stock radius rods to the bottom and another guy had a custom driver side bar made.
Maybe hit up YoungStatic on youtube and see what he is running in his turbo H CRX. He has a wealth of knowledge on just about every swap you can put in an EF chassis.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: