Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 CRX SI, OBD-0 USDM P30-A00, wierd VTEC problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Is Partying at your House

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 CRX SI, OBD-1 USDM P30-A00, wierd VTEC problem?

Sorry for the long post...

I've searched, but couldn't find anything? Since this is the hybrid forum, maybe I can find the solution here.

Taken from this thread:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2361668

Ok, I have a 88 CRX SI that has a 1st gen B16. I converted everything to OBD-1 to pass California BAR, which I passed. I have the S1 Cable transmission, with realy short gearing.(4200rpm 5th gear at 70mph) I have no CEL's, Runs strong.
Mods are AEM CAI, S2 IM, DC header, S2 Catback, and stock cat.
Well I went WOT on an open road for a 4th gear pull(2k rpm to 6k rpm) and vtec didn't kick in? It kicks in 1st-3rd, but didn't in 4th. Its a stock computer, USDM P30-A00, vtec at 5200. I have never tried 5th gear because I like my license.

I also have a P05 chipped with a Type-R basemap with bolt-on's, but heard its not good to run it on a engine its not made for.(To see if vtec kicks in at 4th gear)
Tried this, still the same thing, and code 1 popped up.

Anyone with a DelSol vtec have this problem? I searched the archive and didn't find much. I don't understand why it works 1st-3rd but not 4th?

Originally Posted by Relic1
electronic VSS in the trans, or feeding the ECU off the signal from the cluster?
Originally Posted by Dc4iNtEgRa
VSS Signal is in the cluster, I didn't convert to VSS in transmission...
Originally Posted by STREETWERKZ
oil pressure with RPM load?

What do you mean by that? Im sure the oil pressure is good because the light has never come on except before start-up. It doesn't burn, or leak oil at all, and its full.

Im thinking it has somthing to do with the TPS maybe? When the car is fully warmed up, the rpms bounce from 750 to 1250 for 10 seconds then idles at 700rpm. Also, when it does this, I can push on the pully for the butterfly on the TB and it stops bouncing.
Well I swapped out my ECU with the chipped P05 I have.(Disconected the battery, Removed the main fuse, Plugged it in, installed main fuse, connected the battery, let it idle for 20 minutes, then went for a drive.) Same thing, 1st-3rd Vtec at 5000, 4th nothing... Im confused, what else could it be?
[quote=Relic1]I'm far from an EF guy, but I seem to recall something about the pulser unit in the cluster causing something like this. (signal gets muddy over a certain speed and the ECU sees the wrong signal)
It was fixable, fairly easy, but my lack of searching skills isn't turning up anything.
A post in the EF forum may help you get your problem solved. (if that's the problem)

Originally Posted by Crx Jimmy
I can think of 2a couple things to check off the top of my head. if you have an aftermarket distributor, like a distributor king, I have heard of them going wonky, try to borrow someones stock dizzy. ALso it could be a TPS problem check continuity and to make sure the voltages are reading properly. Also check the map, there could be a problem where it thinks the motor isnt under load so vtec doesnt engage. why it would happen only in 4th gear is a mystery
I have a stock 95 GSR Dizzy... I haven't checked the TPS because I don't have a voltmeter... MAP sensor, IDK? Should be fine since I have had no CEL'S for 1000 miles... Im confused and need help... Thanks Alex
Again, sorry for the long post, just need to figure this out. Thanks, Alex.

Modified by Dc4iNtEgRa at 6:06 PM 8/17/2008
Old 08-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Is Partying at your House

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 88 CRX SI, OBD-0 USDM P30-A00, wierd VTEC problem? (Dc4iNtEgRa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Capo De Payne &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">TIme for a new computer...</TD></TR></TABLE>

ECU's are good, tested both in friends Delsol with B16, VTEC worked 1st-5th.

I tried my chipped P05, same thing, no VTEC in 3rd-5th...

I will test my TPS tomarrow, but if it wasn't getting the right voltage, then I would get a CEL right???