Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 crx dx auto -> b20/vtec manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 crx dx auto -> b20/vtec manual

ok guys, couple questions, first off lemme give a rundown of parts used..

obd2 b20 block
88-91 b16 cable manual transmission
92-95 b16 vtec head
92-95 b16 intake manifold
88-91 b16 pw0 ecu

anyone put a b20vtec in their ef before?

i've wired up around 10 ef/eg's for mpfi/vtec/dohc swaps, and this one's all done except for a few things..

first off, the water coolant temp sensor is relocated to the waterneck on the 92+ blocks, which of course is the 2 prong sensor on the back of 88-91 blocks, can i just splice a sensor connector to those wires and plug it into the neck or do i have to take the water coolant temp sensor out of an 88-91 block and put it in the b20 block..

second this is auto to manual and there's only one wire that plugs into an at transmission, two on the manual, i realize i could hardwire that to the ecu, but if theres any easy fixes that anyone knows please help...

lastly, i read in honda tuning that if you put b20 injectors in the vtec manifold you gain a few horsepower.. but i know i saw somewhere that 92+ fuel injectors
won't function correctly when using an 88-91 ecu.. anyone know either way on this?

thanks in advance guys..

any wiring questions.. for 88-95 swaps drop me a line and i'll do my best to help you out...
Old 04-29-2003, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 88 crx dx auto -> b20/vtec manual (truent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by truent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first off, the water coolant temp sensor is relocated to the waterneck on the 92+ blocks, which of course is the 2 prong sensor on the back of 88-91 blocks, can i just splice a sensor connector to those wires and plug it into the neck or do i have to take the water coolant temp sensor out of an 88-91 block and put it in the b20 block..</TD></TR></TABLE>

You will need to rewire the EF harness plug to a 2 spring and extend it up to the sensor on the thermosat.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">second this is auto to manual and there's only one wire that plugs into an at transmission, two on the manual, i realize i could hardwire that to the ecu, but if theres any easy fixes that anyone knows please help...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure what you are referring to but if it's reverse lights then both have 2 wires but the manual is on the tranny, the auto is at the shifter. You need to run the wires from the shifter out to the manual tranny. To get around the shift interlock, the best way is to locate the park wire and the contact wire on the other side and wire them permanently together.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lastly, i read in honda tuning that if you put b20 injectors in the vtec manifold you gain a few horsepower.. but i know i saw somewhere that 92+ fuel injectors won't function correctly when using an 88-91 ecu.. anyone know either way on this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

OBD0 and low impedance injectors require a resistor box to be used inline with them. If you put 92+ high impedance OBDI or OBDII injectors in with the resistor box then you can possibly ruin them and the ECU as well.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:20 PM

Default Re: 88 crx dx auto -> b20/vtec manual (VTECVillain)

good call, didnt even think about the reverse light indicator wires being near the gear shift on autos.. as for the coolant temp sensor, thats what i figured, but i just wanted to make sure..

thank ya very much sir
Old 04-29-2003, 03:06 PM

Default Re: 88 crx dx auto -> b20/vtec manual (truent)

bizump