Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7th gen transmission swap questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7th gen transmission swap questions?

hey guys, sorry for the noobness here. searched around a bit and couldn't really find anything applicable, and 7thgencivic.com is ***** useless.

so, here goes.

i've got an '04 civic ex, 5-speed (D17, not sure of the rest of the designations). it's mostly a commuter car and weekend autocrosser. i'm not doing any engine swaps, but what i WOULD like is more traction... so, to that end, i started researching LSDs. the *only* LSD i've been able to find for my application specifically is the phantom grip, and we all know what a piece that thing is. however, there seem to be LSDs a-plenty for the 92-00 'EX.

my question:
is it unfeasible to simply throw an '00 EX transmission +LSD onto my '04 EX and it's stock engine? from what i've been able to determine, the gear ratios should be pretty much the same, and in fact the engines themselves are more or less the same (except for this i-vtec business). EX transmissions are a dime a dozen, so the only significant cost here would be in the LSD itself and the blood/sweat/tears of installation -- but even that, I don't think, would be all too onerous a task.

so, i submit to you, my esteemed honda-techers: should i simply grab stickier tires and make do, or are my dreams of front-wheel-positraction just a tranny-swap away?

thanks a ton guys.

--dan
Old 11-26-2005, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 7th gen transmission swap questions? (danowar)

I don't think the old d series tranny is compatable with the new d series. Why are you not interested in a motor swap. Thats the only way you will ever get any kind of power outta that thing. My 7thgen was weak .
Old 11-26-2005, 11:26 AM

mostly because the only engine i can really bother swapping into it is the K20A, and those things are like $5000. i'm not going to bother dropping that much money on a 200hp engine (i can buy a DSM and a 16G for half that, and those are all-wheel-drive). i've got my motorcycle to go fast, i just want more traction out of yon civic.