Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5G Civic Coupe + B16A SiR-II engine mount question

Old 09-20-2003, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5G Civic Coupe + B16A SiR-II engine mount + axle question

So I've got my B16A in my 94 EX Coupe... yay... from the first day I had it in, I noticed that the axles are on a wicked angle coming out of the transmission. The axles lean back toward the firewall to meet the hubs at a considerable angle, like the engine is mounted too far forward? The other day, my right side axle refused to plunge anymore, and it pulled itself out of the transmission. I had to replace it. I am wondering if this bad angle is killing my axles? There is also a considerable vibration under low-speed high-torque acceleration, could this be the axle bearings binding and un-binding due to the poor angle? My car is also lowered, so that dosen't help any. I've heard that cable B16's in 4G Civics mount too far forward in USDM civics which kills axles. With my setup I'm using a variety of mounts, and to tell you the truth I don't even know what a lot of them are from, but they are all there and they all line up fine with the chassis. Is this what a mount kit is for (like from Hasport)? To move the engine back in the bay so the axles line up better? There's not a lot of room between the firewall and intake manifold, but from the axle situation, it looks like the engine needs to be pushed back.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me, you always have good ideas

-zelif
Old 09-20-2003, 11:55 AM

Default Re: 5G Civic Coupe + B16A SiR-II engine mount + axle question (zelifcam)

I am finding out that this is the case. I can't afford an expensive mount kit... is there any way to fabricate a solution from washers and drilling out bolt holes in my OE mounts? Anyone have experience with this?
Old 09-20-2003, 02:31 PM

Default Re: 5G Civic Coupe + B16A SiR-II engine mount + axle question (zelifcam)

bump
Old 09-28-2003, 08:09 PM

BUMP!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2003, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would suggest that you start saving, and get a hasport mount kit. I know they have a kit to let the engine sit where it is suppose to
Old 09-29-2003, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

save up and get the hasport mounts
Old 09-29-2003, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the b16 should fit like a glove with no axle issues... it sounds to me like you have some motor mount issues. you should post pics if you don't know which you have. it should be obvious... placement on 5g cars are the exact same as jdm cars. as for having the car to low this will cause the inside of the axle to wear really bad on the inner cup causing premature failure not pulling out of trans... also which axles are you running?
Old 10-04-2003, 10:36 AM

Default Re: 5G Civic Coupe + B16A SiR-II engine mount + axle question (cavakilla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cavakilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the b16 should fit like a glove with no axle issues... it sounds to me like you have some motor mount issues. you should post pics if you don't know which you have. it should be obvious... placement on 5g cars are the exact same as jdm cars. as for having the car to low this will cause the inside of the axle to wear really bad on the inner cup causing premature failure not pulling out of trans... also which axles are you running?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here is my setup:

REAR MOUNT: OEM Honda mount-brace for Integra with OEM D16Z6 rear mount
TOP TRANS: OEM D16Z6 mount
FRONT TRANS: JDM B16 mount
FRONT ENGINE (A/C): JDM B16 mount
TOP ENGINE (timing side): some rusted random mount I stole from a junkyard that works

I have an Integra LS intermediate axle shaft with 1997 Del Sol VTEC axles.

The engine dosen't look like it can go much further back in the engine bay! For reference, there is about 1.5" between the intake manifold and the firewall, and 0.5" between the radiator fan housing and the clutch slave cylinder. This is with a thicker DelSol VTEC radiator and an OE Civic EX fan however.

Thanks for your help, does anyone have any idea if it is mounted right?
Old 10-04-2003, 07:00 PM

okay in order to fit the b-series engine into your car you can use stock d-series tower mount and top transmission mount and front transmission mount but the rear tranny mount has to be from a integra 94-2001 or from a delsol vtec 94-97. another thing is that there is a difference in the intermediate shaft and the axels as hasport.com will tell you if you search through it my suggestion to you would be to fix the rear mount with the correct one which is only 40 dollers and take the tower mount off your stock d-series engine and replace it with the one that you have on there just to be sure. if that doesnt work then look at your intermediate shaft for the correct one. i know my friend had the same car with a h22 swap in it and the vibration was the axels we never did really fix it but we were told that it was the fact that the frame was bent. just to let you know the only difference between the delsol vtec radiator and the stock dx radiator is the hose fittings are bigger on the delsol vtec.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:07 PM

Default Re: 5G Civic Coupe + B16A SiR-II engine mount + axle question (driftspeedsr20det)

my bad on the mounts i got them mixed up you need to use the tower mount from a 3rd gen integra and use the stock rear mount
Old 10-04-2003, 10:23 PM

Default Re: 5G Civic Coupe + B16A SiR-II engine mount + axle question (driftspeedsr20det)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by driftspeedsr20det &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okay in order to fit the b-series engine into your car you can use stock d-series tower mount and top transmission mount and front transmission mount but the rear tranny mount has to be from a integra 94-2001 or from a delsol vtec 94-97. another thing is that there is a difference in the intermediate shaft and the axels as hasport.com will tell you if you search through it my suggestion to you would be to fix the rear mount with the correct one which is only 40 dollers and take the tower mount off your stock d-series engine and replace it with the one that you have on there just to be sure. if that doesnt work then look at your intermediate shaft for the correct one. i know my friend had the same car with a h22 swap in it and the vibration was the axels we never did really fix it but we were told that it was the fact that the frame was bent. just to let you know the only difference between the delsol vtec radiator and the stock dx radiator is the hose fittings are bigger on the delsol vtec.</TD></TR></TABLE>

by shock tower mount, i assume you mean the driver's side top engine mount (by the timing belt)?

also, the DelSol VTEC radiator that I got, made by Modyne is twice as thick as any 92-95 Civic radiator.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zelifcam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

REAR MOUNT: OEM Honda mount-brace for Integra with OEM D16Z6 rear mount
TOP TRANS: OEM D16Z6 mount
FRONT TRANS: JDM B16 mount
FRONT ENGINE (A/C): JDM B16 mount
TOP ENGINE (timing side): some rusted random mount I stole from a junkyard that works

</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is correct. Your engine should be in the correct location, you might just be a little paranoid BTW, this is what my engine looks like and i'm using the same mounts basicly as you.