Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4g63 in honda

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4g63 in honda

what would you say if I told you that I am going to put a 4g63 into my honda civic. I currently have a 1992 civic si with a 96 gsr b18c. I spun the bearings and did some damage to the crank with a 75 shot of NOS. So I was planning on rebuilding the engine over the winter properly so I could run a turbo set up. But then i thought I can easily make a 4g63 400 hp with the same amount of money as I could rebuild my b18c and turbo it. I would like to hear some input.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2003, 12:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 4g63 in honda (4g63honda)

Let me see, swap out your bullet proof Honda engine and attempt to swap int the super unreliable engine from the Eclipse.

Bad idea. I have never seen and older Eclipse (90,000K miles+) that has it's original engine. They can make power, but they aren't worth it.

Old 09-21-2003, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4g63honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what would you say if I told you that I am going to put a 4g63 into my honda civic. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Don't do it.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4g63 in honda (UpstateCivic)

waste of time and money....it would take too much fab and a whole lot of money...rebuild the gsr and boost it and smoke them 4g63's!
Old 09-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4g63honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what would you say if I told you that I am going to put a 4g63 into my honda civic. I currently have a 1992 civic si with a 96 gsr b18c. I spun the bearings and did some damage to the crank with a 75 shot of NOS. So I was planning on rebuilding the engine over the winter properly so I could run a turbo set up. But then i thought I can easily make a 4g63 400 hp with the same amount of money as I could rebuild my b18c and turbo it. I would like to hear some input.

Thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>
HAHAHAHAHA thats the greatest thing ive ever heard

yea go ahead and put that ******* unreliable POS motor in your civic.

lol bad idea dude, bad idea.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4g63honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what would you say if I told you that I am going to put a 4g63 into my honda civic</TD></TR></TABLE>

To be honest. I'd probably laugh my *** off and ask where the altezzas are.

That's just me though.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:35 PM

Default Re: 4g63 in honda (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

To be honest. I'd probably laugh my *** off and ask where the altezzas are.

That's just me though.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Hahahahahaha, lmfao!!! That's great dude.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4g63 in honda (UpstateCivic)

The money that you would spend to get that motor in there and then running correctly would cost FAR more that it would to make the same (if not more) power with the B18C1. Stay with the motor! Good luck
Old 09-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you have to be joking, right?
Old 09-22-2003, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4g63 in honda (ZRD OWNS ME)

well i actually know of somebody undergoing the swap... fabricated custom mounts and everything.. and since turbo dsm motors are only like 1G's... i see easy replacements in the future

cost effective (YES)

better than our overpriced engines!
Old 09-22-2003, 09:50 AM
Banned

Default Re: 4g63 in honda (JDMDA9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMDA9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let me see, swap out your bullet proof Honda engine and attempt to swap int the super unreliable engine from the Eclipse.

Bad idea. I have never seen and older Eclipse (90,000K miles+) that has it's original engine. They can make power, but they aren't worth it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

123,000 miles on origional motor made in 1989. Origional transmission as well. It seen over 25 psi when racing, 22 psi for the street on pump gas. F*** your uneducated ***.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:35 AM

Default Re: 4g63 in honda (danl)

no
Old 09-22-2003, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4g63 in honda (danl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

123,000 miles on origional motor made in 1989. Origional transmission as well. It seen over 25 psi when racing, 22 psi for the street on pump gas. F*** your uneducated ***.</TD></TR></TABLE>

word~

The 4g63 is still one of the best motors ever built. Even though my Subaru love won't allow me to ever touch a 4g63, I have respect for what they're capable of.

I'd do it for ***** and giggles, but don't expect any of these H-T sheep to give you any props for doing so.

Let's all repeat the Honda-Tech mantra "B series goooooood, anything else baaaaad!, B series goooooood ,anything else baaaaaaad"

read a certain George Orwell book if you don't get the humor
Old 09-22-2003, 01:36 PM

I own a shop in Vegas and have had several people ask me how much to do that swap. I work on DSMs and Hondas so I have love for both. The 4G63 is accually a pretty incredable motor. On my stage 1 motor, which only includes removal of the balance shafts and freshening up the bearings, crank and rings Ive had guys putting down 450 HP @25 PSI to the wheels and Reving to over 9000 RPMs. And thats on stock Valve springs and retainers, just HKS cams. Most of the reliability problems come from the Drivetrain and ECU. Now weve said all that, trying to justify putting on ein a Honda? Maybe a good Idea only becuase you would have to spend several thousand dollars to make a Honda Motor take 25 PSI. I just dont like mix matching motors from Make to Make, try picking up a Mirage HB. They bolt right in and are pretty light too. Cant really give them much style points but neither can I for 1st Gen DSMs but I still rock my 92 Talon once in a while.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMDA9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let me see, swap out your bullet proof Honda engine and attempt to swap int the super unreliable engine from the Eclipse.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

before you get pissed I do own 2 hondas and absolutley love them but I have a huge repect for dsms

hahaha I dunno what your definition of bulletproof is but if it is in terms of holding power then please....
the 4g63 is one of the most bulletproof mass produced factory motors ever, I don't see hondas putting down 400+hp on stock internals. Ive seen plenty go way over 100,000mi.

People forget about how old the 1gs are and thats where most of their reliability issues come from. If you ever even decide to go with a swap like this which in my opinion is a waste of money, I'd rather just buy a dsm, make sure you get the 6-bolt 4g63.

Buschur Racing had a purple rwd 4g63 powered crx that was fast as hell so I'm sure if you can find any information on that car it should help you out.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4g63 in honda (AztecEJ)

I say GO FOR IT!!

Then post your times and most everyone here will eat crow.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:35 AM

Default Re: 4g63 in honda (Trey)

Damn folks......Poeple are misinformed like a motherfuck.....4g63 is a GREAT motor...just because it isnt a honda doesnt mean it isnt worth ****....and lets see a honda be reliable over 20psi....i personally wouldnt do the swap,but the motor is a great performer
Old 09-23-2003, 06:03 PM

Default Re: 4g63 in honda (hypa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hypa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let's all repeat the Honda-Tech mantra "B series goooooood, anything else baaaaad!, B series goooooood ,anything else baaaaaaad"

read a certain George Orwell book if you don't get the humor </TD></TR></TABLE>

Animal Farm?

Not true, what about the H-series lub?

-PHiZ
Old 09-23-2003, 07:00 PM

</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH..
your nuts...
how many hondas do you see running around with 450 hp on a completly stock motor?
how many hondas you see running around running 12's on stock turbos, oh wait hondas dont come with turbos?
how many hondas you see running around with a stock iron block?
how many hondas do you see running around running over 20 psi on a stock fuel system?
wait, how Many honda do you see running around running over 20 psi on a stock motor?

I like hondas and all, but i have had my fair share of DSM's as well..
Old 09-23-2003, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4g63 in honda (tHIS oNE)

4g63 DSM motors ARE the ****!! pound for pound and mod for mod they will outperform ANY honda.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 4g63 in honda (tHIS oNE)

How can you compare a motor that came with a turbo to a factory NA motor with an aftermarket turbo kit slapped on? Of course the 4G63 is going to handle more boost, it was built for it to begin with. But is does have it's fair share of SERIOUS ailments.

Stock for stock, just about any Honda motor is gonna outlast a 4G63. I have never seen a modern Japanese car with as many problems as the 1G Laser/Talon/Eclipse and 2g Talon/Eclipse. From the computer problems to the timing belts that seem to snap for no reason to the turbos that give up after 90,000K miles, these motors are generally far higher in maintainence than most Honda, Toyota or Nissan engines.

Find me a 4G63 with 300,000 miles on it that is still making good power, has good compression and gets good gas mileage and I'll retract my statement. I've driven several Honda's with well over 250,000 miles when I worked at Honda. They were in for an oil change, not an engine replacement.

If you are gonna go through the trouble of custom fabricating mounts and sorting out tremendous wiring issues and driveshaft placement, then it better be for an engine that far exceeds a B-series in every respect.

Granted, the B-series does have it's flaws, but in terms of maintainence and reliability, it really shines above the 4G63. It's ultimate power may not exceed the 4G63, however.

If you are going to custom fab for a new motor, do it for a Toyota V8 or a Nissan V6.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:08 AM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMDA9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How can you compare a motor that came with a turbo to a factory NA motor with an aftermarket turbo kit slapped on? Of course the 4G63 is going to handle more boost, it was built for it to begin with. But is does have it's fair share of SERIOUS ailments.

Stock for stock, just about any Honda motor is gonna outlast a 4G63. I have never seen a modern Japanese car with as many problems as the 1G Laser/Talon/Eclipse and 2g Talon/Eclipse. From the computer problems to the timing belts that seem to snap for no reason to the turbos that give up after 90,000K miles, these motors are generally far higher in maintainence than most Honda, Toyota or Nissan engines.

Find me a 4G63 with 300,000 miles on it that is still making good power, has good compression and gets good gas mileage and I'll retract my statement. I've driven several Honda's with well over 250,000 miles when I worked at Honda. They were in for an oil change, not an engine replacement.

If you are gonna go through the trouble of custom fabricating mounts and sorting out tremendous wiring issues and driveshaft placement, then it better be for an engine that far exceeds a B-series in every respect.

Granted, the B-series does have it's flaws, but in terms of maintainence and reliability, it really shines above the 4G63. It's ultimate power may not exceed the 4G63, however.

If you are going to custom fab for a new motor, do it for a Toyota V8 or a Nissan V6. </TD></TR></TABLE>

1.Its not Mitsubishi's fault that Honda won't put a turbocharger on their cars. You don't hear DSM people whining about VTEC.

2. Stock for stock a honda motor will typically last longer than a turbocharged 4g63 given similar maintenance. Their is a price to performance, and making almost twice the torque takes its tool on motor and driveline. Turbocharged engines also require more frequent maintenance. You have to pay to play.

3. DSM timing belts DO NOT jump or break for no apparent reason. They have both a mechanical tensioner and a hydraulic tensioner to take up belt slack when the motor is rotating. This provides much tighter cam timing than a system without the hydrolic tensioner. The downside is that the tensioner MUST be replaced every 8 years or 120,000 miles. The tensioner is also difficult to properly set up. If everything is set up properly and maintenance is done by the book you will not jump time or tear a timing belt. Don't blame the car because of incompetent mechanics.

4. Show me a honda motor that has turned sub 12 second slips on a virgin block that has been turbocharged for 150,000 miles. Thats exactly what a few of my friends have done.

I'm not here to bitch about the superiority of a motor, but their are some common misconceptions that people have about these cars/motors.

Modified by danl at 5:19 AM 9/24/2003
Old 10-06-2003, 02:59 AM

don't listen to dylan(jdmda9). he is an ignorant tool who is a hardcore b series owner who cannot pull his head from his ***. on top of that. he is also a scammer who screwed me out of a d15z1.

as far as the 4g63 goes. hell yes it's impressive. the 1g dsm motors tend to be much more reliable than the 2g's which are prone to crankwalk. i say go for it. it's definately a change.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlude92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlude92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as far as the 4g63 goes. hell yes it's impressive. the 1g dsm motors tend to be much more reliable than the 2g's which are prone to crankwalk. i say go for it. it's definately a change.</TD></TR></TABLE>

EDITED: I should've re-read before I posted

re-word as 7-bolt 4g63s are more prone to crankwalk then 6-bolt 4g63's. Very late first gens had the 7-bolt motor and those have walked as well, although it is much less occuring in the 7-bolt 1g's as opposed to the 2gs.

Also I always got a kick out of this chop even though I love dsms, I'd always show it to my dsm buddies.

Modified by AztecEJ at 2:19 PM 10/6/2003
Old 10-06-2003, 08:56 AM
Banned

Default Re: (AztecEJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AztecEJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

re-word as 6-bolt 4g63s are more prone to crankwalk then 7-bolt 4g63's. Very late first gens had the 7-bolt motor and those have walked as well, although it is much less occuring in the 1g's.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, 6 bolts are NOT more prone. 7 bolt first gens have been rumored to walk, i've never seen it. The 2g 7 bolts walking is blown way out of proportion. In 4 years in the dsm community, i've seen one real case of crankwalk. Even at its ugliest, a 1g swap is under a grand if you're a DIY guy.

Quick Reply: 4g63 in honda