Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 puck sprung vs. 6 puck unsprung, clutchmasters vs act tell me what u think

Old 03-11-2006, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 puck sprung vs. 6 puck unsprung, clutchmasters vs act tell me what u think

ok so i am putting a clutch in my b16 and the question arose?

4 puck sprung disc? clutchmasters
6 puck unsprung disc? act
absorb more heat?
absorb less heat?
long life?
short life?
easy driving harsh driving?
so on and so fourth

ok so there are alot of questions that come up when choosing a clutch , esp when modding a car

my car isnt intended for EVERYDAY DRIVING. here and there yes but not EVERYDAY

my motor as of now is stock, but is being prepped for boost, around 300whp. for that power the organic was pretty much thrown out the window as its not fully aggressive enough to put the power down as a puck clutch would be.

but what would be better for a turbo setup?

the pressure plate i am going with is a act xtreme pp and a act prolite flywheel

ps has anyone had any bad expierence with clutchmasters? i know they make pretty good clutches, act is more popular or more of a out there brand, just let me know what you think
Old 03-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4 puck sprung vs. 6 puck unsprung, clutchmasters vs act tell me what u think (b18sihatch)

I would go with an ACT unsprung 4 puck clutch.... I had the same clutch When my car was making 350hp and it lasted for a long time with daily driving and some track time.... When the clutch finaly gave I switched to a Clutchmasters 4 puck no spring clutch and I broke it in 1000 miles as recomended and after all that It gave the very first time I took it to the track right off of the launch?I preloaded and drove the clutch just like the ACT but the clutch masters didint hang..... Just my own personal experience.... I am now useing a Competion twin disc clutch and it is worth the $1200 I paid..... And to rebuild it only cost $200 and he gurantees them to last at least 20,000 driving it hard everyday.... Hope this helps
Old 03-12-2006, 12:48 PM

Default Re: 4 puck sprung vs. 6 puck unsprung, clutchmasters vs act tell me what u think (b18sihatch)

did the 4 puck wear into the pressure plate and the flywheel? i heard that they do that
Old 03-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18sihatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did the 4 puck wear into the pressure plate and the flywheel? i heard that they do that</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes,but that is like in any clutch used for race purpose's...... U'd be better off buying a twin disc clutch if its in your budget..... It'll be way better in the long run,the one I bought can hold up to 800hp and was the best investment I ever made..... Its going on 1year with the same clutch and it still looks new....
Old 03-12-2006, 06:29 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

in 9 months my ACT unsprung 6 puck wore a nice deep groove into my Chromoly flywheel.
I dont see why an ACT street disc and extreme plate would not hold somethign as little as 300whp.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (v4lu3s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v4lu3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I dont see why an ACT street disc and extreme plate would not hold somethign as little as 300whp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no ever said that it wouldnt,A tein disc clutch is just a better investment......