Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 questions before I start buying stuff plz.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 questions before I start buying stuff plz.

First off, I have a 94 civic ex with an older b18b motor/tranny in it. It has about 200K miles or so and my compression is at the very bottom of its suggested range. Because of the engines condition wouldnt ordering a new b18b alone be much faster just because it would be newer and have a higher compression? The reason I ask this is because I'm trying to get a basic idea of just how much faster a new engine would be by being able to compare specs to something. I am not in the market for a new LS I just want to know how much faster a new ls would be.

After doing some research on getting a b16 or a b20 I ran across this post.

Originally Posted by StorminMatt

One more thing to consider. PLENTY of people trash the B20Z because of its low HP ratings. But that's the rating that Honda gives for a B20 used stock in a CR-V. If you run it in typical swap configuration, with 1994-1995 LS intake manifold, LS exhaust manifold or header, and 1992-1995 LS ECU (OBDI PR4 or P75), you will see HP figures that are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH higher than Honda's figures. In fact, they will NOT be MUCH lower than B16A numbers with the same mods. And this is NON-VTEC. In other words, power output that is roughly the same as a B16A represents the WORST CASE SCENARIO with a B20. Go VTEC and there is no competition.

Modified by StorminMatt at 4:42 AM 3/29/2008
So basically I can just use all my LS stuff on a new b20b with pr8 head from hmotorsonline and it would be quite a bit faster then just stock? Would my ls parts make that much of a difference? This sounds very exciting for me since this is my first serious build and I have a pretty low budget right now.

Also, just how fast would a build like that be (like actually driving it). I dont have any friends that are into hondas and I really have no clue how fast 142hp and 132tq would be in my civic. All I really want is a car thats fast and fun to drive and may be able to beat a mustang or two when the chance comes. Btw would swap a b16 or gsr tranny in it too and maybe put a vtec head on later.

Thanks guys. I would be totally lost without yall.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3 questions before I start buying stuff plz.

bump

I know these may seem like stupid questions but I am still very new to the car game in general and have nobody else to ask this stuff.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3 questions before I start buying stuff plz.

well i'm fairly new but from what i understand completely stock...

B18b1 (ls) - Power: 142 hp @ 6300 rpm & 130 lb·ft @ 5200 rpm

B20b (99-01 spec) - Power: 147 hp @ 6200 rpm & 133 lb·ft @ 4800 rpm

clearly this will change when you swap head's and block's just a reference, some things you need to note are...

B20's have more displacement, remember there is no replacement for displacement.

B20's also have weaker cylinder walls, due to more displacement, which can cause very major issues.

you will get more torque out of a B20 build.

i wouldn't recommend building B20 build inless your experience and know what your doing.

their is a reason the ls/vtec is used by so many people, its more reliable and arguably the best B-series setup.

there is a blue teg in the feb/march issue of honda tuning that has 525whp on a ls build