Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 honda ex upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 honda ex upgrades

ok no one laugh or insult because this might sound stupid but i want to know if there is any way i could get at least 300 whp in my d16y8 and what would it be and if it is not possible anyone know a good place to have an engine custom build for me. not really wanting to get a h22 more or less not wanting to change the mounting because i heard it makes the car rattle a lot more and makes it drive kinda shitty. anyone?
Old 06-27-2014, 01:38 AM
Anti-GDD White Knight Simp

Default Re: 2000 honda ex upgrades

H22 shakes the car cuz it's a monster. Though I assure you, it does not make your drive "shitty". As for your question, have you heard of a turbocharger? Scroll down on the homepage a lil' bit and you'll see a forum dealing specifically with these. I infer this is a daily driver, in which case going turbocharged is your only feasible solution. If you don't want to go turbo, then you need to look into a J, K or H series swap for that kind of power

Edit: And even with one of those swaps, you're looking at spending a huge amount of money to get to 300whp without going turbo
Old 06-27-2014, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks man
Old 06-27-2014, 02:09 AM

GL
Old 06-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

swap out the pistons for some vitaras, turbo, tune... something along those line along with a lot of cash! or swap it lol the most common answer.

by the way vitaras are about $150 compared to their expensive counterparts aries

honestly the bottom block rebuild kit goes for around 699 from rc racing with comes with their custom length rods to up the compression with the vitaras. This a common set up thats been proved to get high hp numbers.

If you really want to stay d series this is my reccomendation all the way. just do a lot of research before you get into anything. its a lot of work but, satisfiying in the end and im talking about them 60 - 130 pulls

If you state dosnt care about emissions and legal swaps don't over think that h22, get that Ina heartbeat haha nothing but torque and its just a beast *** setup. straight from a lude and you'll be pulling on any average joe at the "track". plus theirs a lot more room available for growth eventually with an h22 and if turboed with a larger turbo you'll be flying eventually.

Whatever you do good luck!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:26 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chriskemp
swap out the pistons for some vitaras, turbo, tune
Like it's as simple as snapping together some Legos or something. OP needs to do a ton more reading before thinking about doing anything to his car. That much is obvious. Start with every FAQ on H-T.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be done with a turbo setup, but as Grumbles said, its not as cut and dry as it sounds. Time to do your research
Old 06-27-2014, 11:44 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why is 300hp the magic number for you?
Old 06-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you to all who have posted something so far i am concidering the h22 thanks to ya'll and 300 is the magic number because that is the max recommended hp push on a d16y8
Old 06-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Idk that the H22 is the solution, but to each their own i guess. Personally, i'd find an LS bottom end, VTEC head and a GSR/B16 tranny. That combo has a much better aftermarket following and when the boost bug bites, they're less expensive to build. The H series has goofy FRM sleeves which require re-sleeving if you plan to build it. The D series isn't a bad platform...it just doesn't handle much power (~240whp max) in stock form before the rods fold in half. If nothing else, its a cheap platform to learn on
Old 06-27-2014, 12:37 PM
The Grumpiest

H2B. Look it up.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
H2B. Look it up.
Hell yeah boss
Old 06-27-2014, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
H2B. Look it up.
yeah i looked it up and sounds pretty sweet just wondering how hard and expensive the conversion would be. and for thoughs asking about emissions i live in texas so we are not super strict but not really super lax either but can get away with alot in the city i live in
Old 06-27-2014, 03:35 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by Nick's ex
yeah i looked it up and sounds pretty sweet just wondering how hard and expensive the conversion would be. and for thoughs asking about emissions i live in texas so we are not super strict but not really super lax either but can get away with alot in the city i live in
If you're asking these questions then you really didn't look it up.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:44 PM

Yeah I see you're from Dallas, I'm south of you
I agree with Schister, if you eventually want to go turbo, stay away from the H22, especially the '97-up that have open decks. They make a heck of a N/A motor though.
As for swapping the motor as most are suggesting, now that I think about it, you could build an awesome high horsepower turbo'd D-series for only a little more than it'd cost to do an engine swap....and have way more power. You've already got the motor, if you chose that route all you'd have to do is go check out the Forced Induction forum

Edit: If you did in fact look it up, you'd know that H2B setups are super expensive, and after doing much research, I myself have come to the conclusion that it is not even close to worth it, given that there are other similar performing transmissions that bolt right up.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:53 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

F20c swap with type s tranny. Done.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:02 PM

H22s are the worst engines ever. They do make nice power though. I'd do a H23 Bluetop. I've done a few bluetop swaps and I always liked the powerband better. Just install the H22 oil squirters if you plan on any track use.

OP...300hp is the max recommended for a D16Y8. Who made this recommendation?

A H22 swap or all the items required for 300hp on a Y8 will cost about the same. The Y8 route would cost less. The H22 won't be making 300hp unless it's turbo'd or SC'd either.

Neither of these situations is actually going to happen, are they?
Old 06-27-2014, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by tony_2018
F20c swap with type s tranny. Done.
?? Why? There are like 60 billion downsides and maybe 1 upside to that swap.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:08 PM
The Grumpiest

I heard those are beasts for boost. But nothing will come of this thread anyway.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:20 PM

Right. I need to choose which threads I share my info on better.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:27 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by TracerAcer2.2L
Right. I need to choose which threads I share my info on better.
Exactly! All these post asking "whats the best swap for xyz" Is just ****** retarded. Do your own research for whats best fitted for YOU.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TracerAcer2.2L
Yeah I see you're from Dallas, I'm south of you
I agree with Schister, if you eventually want to go turbo, stay away from the H22, especially the '97-up that have open decks. They make a heck of a N/A motor though.
As for swapping the motor as most are suggesting, now that I think about it, you could build an awesome high horsepower turbo'd D-series for only a little more than it'd cost to do an engine swap....and have way more power. You've already got the motor, if you chose that route all you'd have to do is go check out the Forced Induction forum

Edit: If you did in fact look it up, you'd know that H2B setups are super expensive, and after doing much research, I myself have come to the conclusion that it is not even close to worth it, given that there are other similar performing transmissions that bolt right up.
I actually have looked it up and was hoping it was cheaper than i saw too around 7-10 grand for conversion and all plus install not worth the pain and money. thanks for all the advice everyone and yes i would prefer to keep the motor as the d series
Old 06-28-2014, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Exactly! All these post asking "whats the best swap for xyz" Is just ****** retarded. Do your own research for whats best fitted for YOU.
first off dick that is the point of forums is to share ideas and ask questions removing the non human factor and getting direct answers to questions versus having to guess and learn on the fly so if you dont want to help **** off and quit being a rude douche
Old 06-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and to alleviate any wonder on if anything will come of this forum yes i will post updates and pictures as the work is done for those that actually car and what not. for the people actually trying to give advise and help me thank you. i am very new to this and dont really get most of what i read by myself having very very little knowledge of cars. the info so far has been really helpful and the answers are pretty informative. now if you dont really care or want to help someone learn then quit posting in this **** is mad rude. all you are doing is making yourself look like an egotistical elitist jerk not cool bra not cool.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:00 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by Nick's ex
first off dick that is the point of forums is to share ideas and ask questions removing the non human factor and getting direct answers to questions versus having to guess and learn on the fly so if you dont want to help **** off and quit being a rude douche
Actually the forum is a resource. Usually you ask questions AFTER you've done some serious research and have some points to clarify (and we can tell if you have or not). NOT to rehash a topic that comes up nearly half a dozen times a week. I've noticed some parts of H-T the mods will lock these type of redundant questions. You aren't the first person to ever ask this question. Trust me.

Also, you might want to chill out with the name calling. You might see someone as being an *** but we might see you as being lazy. Appreciate the perspective.

Quick Reply: 2000 honda ex upgrades