Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Civic SI Minime Swap-lots of pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Civic SI Minime Swap-lots of pictures

I recently got a 1999 Civic SI with a minime swap. The car isn't running and has a d16y7 block with d16z6 head and p2e ecu. The engine sounds like it wants to turn over but doesn't actually ever start up. The main issue I think may be with the wiring because it has some loose wires as well as unconnected wires coming off of the harness. I know that isn't the only issue though as the clutch pedal drops and doesn't return. The ebrake also doesn't function because the car will roll even though it's all the way up. I got the car as a project and to learn more about them along the way so I'm taking any help I can get and that includes coming here and asking you all. I'd really like to get the car running and have included some pictures. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: 1999 Civic SI Minime Swap-lots of pictures

that looks like a nightmare.

I recommend fixing the clutch issue first. check for leaks, flush with fresh fluid and bleed the air out.

then look at the brakes. adjust the parking brake until it works well enough. check the front brakes for safe operation/condition.

engine: I would check cam timing, spark and fuel (fresh? pressure? injectors firing?). in that order. troubleshoot based on your findings.

once those are right it should start at least. then you can find out what other problems are hiding in there.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

OP, you have a wiring nightmare here. First, there is no MAP sensor connected to your car... you have an OBD-0 type throttle body which has no provision for mounting a MAP sensor although it does have a brown/copper colored vacuum port to run a small vacuum line from the throttle body to the firewall where it would meet the firewall mounted MAP sensor normally found on most OBD-0 and a few OBD-1 applications. You can either find an OBD-1 style throttle body and clean up the install or zip tie a newer style MAP sensor to something close to the throttle body and run a vacuum line between the vacuum port and the MAP sensor. Then plug in the round 3-wire plug that you are holding up in the third picture you posted above... assuming that it is the correct wire colors.

Next (assuming the wire colors are original and haven't been moved at the ECU end of the engine harness), your IAT sensor plug is connected to the fan switch on the thermostat housing. You also have the purge/cut solenoid connected to the VTEC pressure switch on the cylinder head. The vacuum line connected to the larger port at the very top of the throttle body is incorrect... disconnect it as it may create some idle problems. The wiring up front near the P/S pump that you have pictured up close is for the A/C system and you don't have A/C, so ignore all of that. Tape/zip tie it up and clear and forget it. The single blue wire near the large single plug connector near the base of the windshield/firewall on the left side is the tach test wire... again, it doesn't go to anything. The original plug was likely cut off to connect an aftermarket tachometer. The single wire round plug (actually a two wire plug with only the upper wire actually pinned) should be for the knock sensor found on the back of a Y8 block but missing from a Y7 block, although I am not sure why you are showing it inside the car near the ECU with no wire color coming out of the back to help identify it.

That should get you started.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I know lol, I'm not too worried though as I have a daily, I had full knowledge of the wiring issue before hand. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!
Old 11-13-2018, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
OP, you have a wiring nightmare here. First, there is no MAP sensor connected to your car... you have an OBD-0 type throttle body which has no provision for mounting a MAP sensor although it does have a brown/copper colored vacuum port to run a small vacuum line from the throttle body to the firewall where it would meet the firewall mounted MAP sensor normally found on most OBD-0 and a few OBD-1 applications. You can either find an OBD-1 style throttle body and clean up the install or zip tie a newer style MAP sensor to something close to the throttle body and run a vacuum line between the vacuum port and the MAP sensor. Then plug in the round 3-wire plug that you are holding up in the third picture you posted above... assuming that it is the correct wire colors.

Next (assuming the wire colors are original and haven't been moved at the ECU end of the engine harness), your IAT sensor plug is connected to the fan switch on the thermostat housing. You also have the purge/cut solenoid connected to the VTEC pressure switch on the cylinder head. The vacuum line connected to the larger port at the very top of the throttle body is incorrect... disconnect it as it may create some idle problems. The wiring up front near the P/S pump that you have pictured up close is for the A/C system and you don't have A/C, so ignore all of that. Tape/zip tie it up and clear and forget it. The single blue wire near the large single plug connector near the base of the windshield/firewall on the left side is the tach test wire... again, it doesn't go to anything. The original plug was likely cut off to connect an aftermarket tachometer. The single wire round plug (actually a two wire plug with only the upper wire actually pinned) should be for the knock sensor found on the back of a Y8 block but missing from a Y7 block, although I am not sure why you are showing it inside the car near the ECU with no wire color coming out of the back to help identify it.

That should get you started.
Thank you so much, this is going to help out a lot. The reason I took that picture in the car is because that plug was cut off and sitting down near the ECU. It's pretty clear the guy that did this had absolutely no idea what he was doing and I'm suspecting other issues. I have a guy offering a Y8 head and block sans some valves for like 150, you think it might be easier to salvage what I can from that? Not sure how much parts compatibility they will have. I was thinking of taking the head and then going to the junkyard to find an unmodified harness and just building it as a Y8 rather than a minime. Or do you think I should just proceed with the minime setup? Trying to go for the easiest route to get it running.

Last edited by civicsi-1999; 11-13-2018 at 06:50 AM.