Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 3 GEN PRELUDE JDM H22A PROJECT.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1991 3 GEN PRELUDE JDM H22A PROJECT.

A LOT OF THINKS ARE CHANGED AND IMPROVED DURING THIS PROJECT.

REED ALL PAGES OR ASK FOR HELP OVER THE POSTS!

This page will be edited for final write up!

So, where do I begin!

GET HONDA PRELUDE 88-91 MANUAL BEFORE ANYTHING TO START!

This is JDM H22A engine installation with inner coil ignition system in 3 generation Prelude!

1) The car and electronics's.

If you have 90-91 lude it will be lees job with electric installation. Other wise from mechanical point of view no differences between 88-89 gen Preludes.

The 90-91 pgmfi ludes have OBD-1 type ECU international system. That mean, you can use any OBD-1 Honda wiring diagram, all functions of sensors will be similar and addresses of pins in ECU will be the SAME!!!

For example:
You can connect to your 1990-91 Prelude 1994 year P13 ECU without any connector swaps or mods.
Must be like that:

1.a) If you have 88-89 Prelude with older OBD-0 system and carburetor.

In pgmfi case get the OBD-0 to OBD-1 wiring harness swap connectors or any HONDA OBD-1 92-95 ECU connectors from junk yard. Just did solder job switching connectors using wiring diagram.

In carburetor lude you must to change all car fuel electric wiring system with fuel tank and fuel pump in it. That's not difficult job if you have Honda manual.

2) Engine wiring.

During the swap find out that the are most difficult stuff with coil and igniter unit proper connections. That's why I will put more attention on those thinks.

Do not have any experience with US market H22 engines and as I understand there are popular outside coil ignition systems. Till now, have deal only with JDM H22A engines with inner coils.

Any way, all 3 gen Euro ludes with outside coil ignition systems. That's why there must be done some changes in engine wiring during JDM H22 swap.

Here are H22A OBD-1 92-95 wiring diagram:
http://www.we-todd-did-racing....D.jpg

Here is B20 OBD-1 90-91 year wiring diagram:

Diagrams are very similar. But in reality positions of sensors on engine and car have different locations. Between 3 and 4 gen ludes. The sensors and connectors are different. Helpfully the 95% of them are wired in similar way.

3) How to connect engine with ECU.

I have on H22A engines the JDM type wiring, which is wired to left side for right hand car. The mine connectors are OBD-1 type. Those mine connectors connected with under dash board wiring and goes to ECU, relay box, fuel relay and different other ways.

That's why the best way to go the with original car and engine wiring system. And adapt it for new engine. Not to using new engine wiring and adapt car wiring and connectors for it.

That mean, in this swap will be used the B20A engine wiring harness as base for H22A engine. Install from H22A engine the original wiring. Don't throw it away. It will be like donor for new hybrid wiring.

3.a) The differences!

Up JDM H22A wiring
Down B20A wiring

Numbers mean:
1. The mine connector junction. All wires from sensors goes to that way to ECU on JDM H22A car.

2. The mine connector junction. Almost all wires from sensors goes to that way to ECU on 3 gen prelude car.

3. To relay box (+ power) cable from alternator

This is closer view of number 2 and 4 connectors of B20A wiring.

4. To relay box (+ power) cable from alternator

5. The injector connector assembly with idle valve connector.
Here I will put pic of injector connectors, they are the same as idle valve connector. And B20A connectors will fit perfectly on H22A injectors:

6. The injector connector assembly with idle valve connector.

7. Alternator + cable and control connector.
The same with alternator connectors:

8. Alternator + cable and control connector.

9. Distributor connectors

10. Distributor connectors
Here you can see how different distributor connectors, grey are H22A connectors:

11. Oil pressure sensor connector. It's plug type connector.

12. Oil pressure sensor connector. It's connected with sensor using the bolt.

13. Knock sensor

14. Resistor box connector. It could stay in that position. If use OBD-1 type resistor box, then you must to change to OBD-1 type connector.

In this pic you can see the mine differences in those wiring's.

MAP SENSOR

The H22A and B20A wiring don't have MAP sensor connector, it's separately wired from ECU to MAP sensor.

I'm using stock MAP from 3 gen. Just pick it out from big black vacum box where are other EGR solenoids. So, I just use from the vacum box only Map sensor. Get some small mount to fix it in engine room, there are all ready good connection with ECU and most important it's correct with OBD-1. Same pins to ECU by different generations of ECU's. Connect it with vacum line to intake manifold. No any erros on P13 ECU, work fine. No wiring mods.

2.b) The same connector types both wiring's have:

Speed sensor
Lambda (O2) sensor
Injector's
TP - Throttle position sensor
IAT - Intake air temperature
Idle valve sensor
Water temperature sensor to ECU
Water coolant fan sensor
Water temperature sensor to dash board
Starter signal sensor
Shift position sensor
Alternator sensor

2.c) Different connectors are:

EGR valve lift sensor
Distributor connectors
Oil pressure
Mine connectors to ECU

2.d) B20A wiring don't have connectors to:

VTEC oil pressure sensor
VTEC oil pressure switch sensor
Knock sensor
ECT sensor near thermostat on H22A

Using the wiring diagram and this information must be made the hybrid wiring harness for H22A engine and base wiring will be from B20A engine. The skeleton must look like that after mods for H22A engine:

Put that wiring on engine and check that all wires have right length and all connectors connected properly in right pistons. All cable must soldered an isolated very good. Especially distributor and Knock sensor cables.

Final wiring after all mods must look like that:

The distributor connection!

Well, there are some important differences.
The connectors:

Change them when making the wiring. Change all the wires in full length till mine connectors. And did solder job there. Near big white mine connectors. Do not change them near distributor. Because there are much higher temperature in engine room. And you will touch the distributor connectors many times before finish the swap. That could damage the soldered connections.

The JDM H22A distributor fitted with 3 important sensors, ignition coil and igniter unit. See wiring diagrams for:

CYL - Cylinder sensor
TDC - Piston up point sensor
CKP - Crankshaft position sensor
ICM - IGNITER UNIT

In this pic you can see distributor connector, I'm holding that igniter unit cable Yellow/Green which must be connected to ECU A21 pin:

So, you can see on wiring diagram that ignition unit built in distributor on h22 engines. This is only one cable which don't have 3 gen lude original B20 engine wiring. That's if talking about ignition.

Coil connection:

On 3 gen ludes coil mounted in engine room near mine connectors, red circle indicate old place of outside coil:

It have 1 pink and 1 grey smaller connector. Both connectors have similar cables. Blue and Black/Yellow. Remove those connectors. So, will going to be need only bigger cables. And small pare cables just isolate them, you don't need them anymore.

Here are pic how it must look like:

Then did nice connector in wiring for safe connection:

I don't think that it will be the problem to get that kind connector in junk jards from any 4 gen lude or Accord.

OK, I guess this could be the final write up about the electronics and connections.

Tehnical write up soon.

Fell free to ask any question!

Modified by Root79 at 4:47 PM 8/14/2005

Modified by Root79 at 9:45 PM 9/14/2005

Modified by Root79 at 10:14 AM 3/17/2006
The following users liked this post:
Old 03-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 1991 3 GEN PRELUDE JDM H22A PROJECT. (Root79)

Very cool project! Keep us updated on the progress. There are a handful of 3rd gen Preludes state side with H series swaps, but it's very rare. You might be the first and only one in your country to do this...
A project like this deserves a good documented write-up with detailed pics and info. If you have the time, I would try and document everything to help and inspire other's.
The following users liked this post:
Old 03-01-2005, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Good to see you are attacking this project. I would turn my head and say no. j/k keep us updated.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: (crxtreme89h)

MECHANIC STUFF

During the project our mine idea was to build it with less modified parts. Any way it's not possible to do that. Mounts must costume made. And we did them. There must be done some small changes during final mount kit making. Because find out problems with power steering pump belt. That's why I can't post any picks, measures of mounts.

The H22 Engine is wider and longer that's why there are lot of differences in engine position in car body.

One of important question is what kind of axles to use.

AXLES

Well, there are did many tests and we get right one. Combination with OEM stock parts. There are possibility to order costume fabricated axle kit. For European Guy's this will be too expensive to order axle kit from US. And I don't see the reason why to order them, if it's possible go with stock parts.

Explaining:

1 and 6 on pic:
They must be from 3 gen. The 4 gen lude and Accords outside joins are with longer fingers, but the same diameter and groove number.

2 and 5.
The most important parts. Those two beams must be from 92-95 Accord's or Rover 620. Only passenger side beam fit correct in both sides on 3 gen H22A swap.
The each beam could not be longer than 410 mm. Thats the measure of beam without inner and outer join.

3 and 4

Inner joins fit from
92-2000 Prelude F, H series.
92-2000 Accord F series.
92-2000 Civic B series.
92-2000 Integra B series.

When buy the inner joins in junk jard, check for movement. Not <> this way, but up and down (rotation way). It's important because with that movement inner join will live short. Driving will be uncomfortable, there will be strange noises from suspension side. Or just buy the new parts.

Here are support pic. How to change outside join.

Sustain the axle beam in vice. About 45 degrees, join outside and down.

Find some ~2 kg hammer. Watch your own hands, try to do some sharp hit followed by red row. Hit to join non moved part which actually sits on beam. Do not hit to move part (outside shell of join). The red line in join is stopper ring, it fix the join to beam. When will install back the join, try to not over pushed the join to much. The stopper ring must sit in special grove in join.

Modified by Root79 at 9:53 PM 9/14/2005

Modified by Root79 at 9:54 PM 9/14/2005

Modified by Root79 at 9:55 PM 9/14/2005
Old 03-03-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: (Root79)

SHIFTERS

The 3 gen lude shifter and shifter cables don't work with H or F series transmission.

Must to replace the shifter and shifting cables from:

Accord 92-97
Prelude 92-96

You can easy install the shifter plate in same location where older was. Remove the small plate in body tunnel under original shifter plate. It holds from factory with silicone glue. Must to drill the 4 new hols, they are not bolt on.

Modified by Root79 at 10:29 AM 3/17/2006
Old 03-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when installing the shifter to the car, I would suggest removing the rubber bushings from the top and the bottom of the plate, and just mount the shifter metal-to-metal.

the shifter feels MUCH more solid this way, and the side effects are little-to-none.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: (Greyout)

Well, tomorow will be pics. How the sfihter plate fit.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:58 PM

as far as i know, that tranny is not lsd. that's the m2b4
Old 03-04-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: (monalisa overdrive)

Today was nice day.

Powder coated frames:

Modified by Root79 at 4:59 PM 8/14/2005
Old 03-05-2005, 12:11 PM

Did spell check!
Old 03-05-2005, 04:38 PM

Sweet man! Pretty good progress. I cant wait til the motor is in. Thats the part Im excited about. I want to see how its all mounted up. But keep up the good work
Old 03-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you do great work that was a lot of fun to read.

the lude guys are gonna love you.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:24 PM

Nice job

Old 03-07-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Re: 1991 3 GEN PRELUDE JDM H22A PROJECT. (Cipans)

More info on other pages.....

Modified by Root79 at 5:00 PM 8/14/2005
Old 03-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, thats cool man. good job
Old 03-08-2005, 11:11 PM

Default Re: 1991 3 GEN PRELUDE JDM H22A PROJECT. (hondaZvic)

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2005, 09:30 AM

Soon more info.

Modified by Root79 at 4:58 PM 8/14/2005
Old 03-09-2005, 10:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Always liked the 3gen body style.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1991 3 GEN PRELUDE JDM H22A PROJECT. (xthephilx)

nice work
Old 03-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1991 3 GEN PRELUDE JDM H22A PROJECT. (CharlesInTurbocharge)

good right up
Old 03-09-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: 1991 3 GEN PRELUDE JDM H22A PROJECT. (SUB-0 H23)

With this car nothing will be done. Another two 3 gen ludes waiting for JDM. Another one will be mega HARDCORE because it's Carburettor B20A3 car. No electric fuel injection. Why to build that kind car....it have very beautiful body kit. It's not like rice style but have very good ground effect and it's RED. And ovner of car is HER!!!!! The pics will be of course!

Some kind of 3 gen REVOLUTION we have here!

Modified by Root79 at 5:01 PM 8/14/2005
Old 03-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Many owners of B20A3 here are impatiently awaiting this swap
Old 03-14-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: 1991 3 GEN PRELUDE JDM H22A PROJECT. (pentaq)

Hello everybody!!!!

We are working on wiring and mounts now. Wiring will be finished in two days. I'm doing now in AutoCad the mount drawings. 2D and 3D drawings with measures I will going to give metalwork's company, which specialize in no-standard works. I'm by profession metalwork engineer. I can make the professional drawings for production.

Old 03-17-2005, 05:45 PM

This is the first, documented from start to finish, example of this project I have come across. Keep on doing what you are doing in Latvia, I will be doing the same in the next few months in Canada. I am a former parts and service manager at a Honda dealer here on this side of the lake and have swapped out the b21 and the b20 from my 91 si (american spec) after blowing them both up.
I swore this swap was possible from day one and knew I should have embarked on this adventure in fabrication when I blew up the b21. Please include your cad designs of the motor mounts. I wish you the best of luck with this project, and would be happy to add any insights I come to during my own swap to you and your records. Finally, a decent looking honda with a worthy power plant.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: 1991 3 GEN PRELUDE JDM H22A PROJECT. (docbones)

We have in May 19-22 tuning exhibition. So, I need to finish 4 cars. I must to finish three 3gen ludes. They all will be with H22A, and one of them will be turbo. Now I rebuild the nonVTEC CRX 90 for all motor B20VTEC engine. I'm not making new mounts. I'm just drill in spot welds of mine body mount, relocate and totaly rebuild them. Very important was to get stock look after all mods.

As we talk about H22A engine and trany in 3 gen. There can be use 2 stock mounts. Front 4 gen engine mount on block and 3 gen rubber mount on frame. The same with back big mount. Mods must be done some mods too. They are not direct plug.

Only passenger and driver side mounts must be custom made. I will post cad files. If someone could explain how to get from dxf or dwg some normal file for upload, that could be great.

Quick Reply: 1991 3 GEN PRELUDE JDM H22A PROJECT.