Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[SEARCHED] Who has a BAR sticker for their h22 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [SEARCHED] Who has a BAR sticker for their h22 swap?

I got popped by the cops the other day and their sending me to the state ref. I remember awhile back a guy had a green civic with an h22 and it had a BAR sticker. I dont remember his username though. I know someone knows. I need to know what it takes to get my JDM h22 bar'd.

EDIT: Anyone know who's car this is?

Old 07-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [SEARCHED] Who has a BAR sticker for their h22 swap? (teameracer3)

All usdm smog related equipment with all the vacuum running to the correct spot, cat, if you have any carb legal parts on your make sure you have a sticker for it or a plack on the part, usdm ecu and your motor needs to be the same year or newer then your car.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know many people with BAR'd cars and a few with H22's BAR'd!

Its simple! here is some free info...

-Motor must be bone stock-motor must be new than the vehicle.
-may use CAARB legal products (i.e. DC header, AEM intake, Greddy exhaust)
-motor may be JDM if there is a usdm counterpart (i.e. B18c type-r is is JDM and B18C5 is usdm)
-Must have all USDM smog equipment hooked up and working

then you made a ref appointment and hope you pass! Then you get a cool lil sticker that will keep you out of trouble
Old 07-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [SEARCHED] Who has a BAR sticker for their h22 swap? (DxTrix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DxTrix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All usdm smog related equipment with all the vacuum running to the correct spot, cat, if you have any carb legal parts on your make sure you have a sticker for it or a plack on the part, usdm ecu and your motor needs to be the same year or newer then your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You beat me to this post, he he

You are the master at getting BAR stickers!
Old 07-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [SEARCHED] Who has a BAR sticker for their h22 swap? (AMS MIKE)

and a for a h22 BAR pink hatch.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DxTrix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All usdm smog related equipment with all the vacuum running to the correct spot, cat, if you have any carb legal parts on your make sure you have a sticker for it or a plack on the part, usdm ecu and your motor needs to be the same year or newer then your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Re: Smog Legal + Bar Sticker in Cali for Hybrids! (b20_EK) 6:45 PM 9/26/2003 Reply Edit

Quote, originally posted by b20_EK »
older motor+newer car= screwed if attempting BAR &lt;https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...thdown.gif&gt;

Not true. Certain circumstances that most people don't know about, oviously, allow an older motor to be swapped into the car and it CAN be legal. I have a 92 GSR motor in my 93 hatch and have been to the ref twice. He knows for SURE its a 92, even told me. Said its fine as well. Has listed it on the papers as a "93 Integra" motor. Said that because the B17 was made in 92 and 93 and is identical in both years, its a legal swap. Good info that people should know.

And whatever you do, don't try to smog the LS/Vtec.. That won't go over very well.

-hybrid93eg
Old 07-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teameracer3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Re: Smog Legal + Bar Sticker in Cali for Hybrids! (b20_EK) 6:45 PM 9/26/2003 Reply Edit

older motor+newer car= screwed if attempting BAR &lt;https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...thdown.gif&gt;

Not true. Certain circumstances that most people don't know about, oviously, allow an older motor to be swapped into the car and it CAN be legal. I have a 92 GSR motor in my 93 hatch and have been to the ref twice. He knows for SURE its a 92, even told me. Said its fine as well. Has listed it on the papers as a "93 Integra" motor. Said that because the B17 was made in 92 and 93 and is identical in both years, its a legal swap. Good info that people should know.

And whatever you do, don't try to smog the LS/Vtec.. That won't go over very well.

-hybrid93eg</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dont know about that one, as far as I know that would never pass visual unless it true.

Old 07-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by teameracer3

AGAIN...Free Info on trying to get a "BAR" STICKER!!!

Bureau of Automive Repair 'BAR' California Code of Regulations

Overview
Engine changes continue to present problems and challenges to car owners and technicians. Here are some tips to keep you and your customers on the straight and narrow.

Our recommendation is to rebuild and reinstall the original engine, transmission, and emission control configuration.

When rebuilding an engine, it must be rebuilt to the original equipment specifications. However, if you do decide to change the engine, these guidelines must be observed to ensure that the vehicle will be eligible for smog certification or registration.

Remember, these are guidelines for performing engine changes -- not certification procedures. All exhaust emission controlled vehicles with engine changes must be inspected by an official referee station and must have a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Vehicle Identification Label affixed to the doorpost.

Remember also, state and federal anti-tampering laws generally prohibit any modification to the vehicle's original emission control system configuration as certified by the manufacturer. And, Section 3362.1 of the California Code of Regulations prohibits any engine change that degrades the effectiveness of a vehicle's emission control system.

California Certification
A federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certified (federal or 49-state) engine cannot be used in a vehicle that was originally certified for California.

Certification Standards
Make sure the engine and emission control configuration on exhaust - controlled vehicles are certified to the year of the vehicle or newer, and to the same or a more stringent new vehicle certification standard.

Classification
Don't mix engine and vehicle classifications which will degrade the emissions certification standards. For example, a heavy-duty engine cannot be installed in a light-duty exhaust-controlled chassis even if they have the same displacement. Non-emissions controlled power plants such as industrial or off-road-use-only engines may not be placed in any exhaust-controlled vehicle.

Computer Controls
If a computer-controlled engine is installed in a non-computerized vehicle, the "CHECK ENGINE" light, the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) diagnostic link, and all sensors, switches, and wiring harnesses needed to make the system fully functional must also be installed.

Emission Control Configuration
Mixing and matching emission control system components could cause problems and is generally not allowed. Engine and emission control systems must be in an engine-chassis configuration certified by the California Air Resources Board (ARB) or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The engine must meet or exceed the requirements for the year and class of vehicle in which it is installed.

Emission Warranty
Voiding the vehicle manufacturer's emission warranty is not allowed.

Engine Modifications
No internal or external engine modifications (cams, pistons, intakes, etc.) may be performed unless the parts are ARB-exempted or EPA-certified for use in the installed engine. Use the database on this site to search for aftermarket parts covered by ARB Executive Orders.

Original Equipment
The installed engine and host chassis must retain all of their original emission control equipment. Diesel-to-gasoline conversions must have all gasoline engine and chassis emission control systems installed (such as fillpipe restrictor, catalytic converter and evaporative emission system).

Smog Inspection
These vehicles must pass a complete smog inspection (visual, functional, and tailpipe).
Old 07-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I might as well toss this question out since I personally don't know anyone with a BAR'd H22, a BAR'd H22 Accord, or BAR'ing knowledge to begin with...

I have a OBD II 96 Accord with a JDM H22A motor going in soon, computer wise would I have to stick with a USDM 96 H22 OBD II ECU OR can I get the conversion harness and use a USDM/ JDM OBD I H22 ECU OR even a Pxx + Hondata set-up when finally gearing up for the BAR?
Old 07-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [SEARCHED] Who has a BAR sticker for their h22 swap? (CD5 Sedan)

Stock usdm
Old 07-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DxTrix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stock usdm </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks D. just wondering...while you're @ the BAR do they actually remove your kick panel and take a look @ what ECU is there?
Old 07-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes they do. They even look for the mark on your flywheel and if they cant see it then you have to marke it with paint so it is visable to them. Hu Ams Mike

Modified by DxTrix at 5:09 PM 7/7/2004
Old 07-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DxTrix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes they do. They even look for the mark on your flywheel and if they cant see it then you have to marke it with paint so it is visable to them. Hun Ams Mike </TD></TR></TABLE>

what's the purpose of the marking on the flywheel D?
Old 07-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DxTrix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes they do. They even look for the mark on your flywheel and if they cant see it then you have to marke it with paint so it is visable to them. Hun Ams Mike </TD></TR></TABLE>

YES THAT IS TRUE!!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CD5 Sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what's the purpose of the marking on the flywheel D?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I took a H22 in a eg hatch and BAR'd it. The mark on the flywheel was very faint and hard to see, so I had to take day-glow orange nail polish and go over the mark. Now you can see it! Simple as that.

if the car is OBDII....ECU must be OBDII and USDM.....Everything on the car must be OBDII
Old 07-06-2004, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where'd you guys take the cars to get BAR'd in so cali...i saw the other thread but mostly consisted of greater LA area to Nor Cal.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CD5 Sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where'd you guys take the cars to get BAR'd in so cali...i saw the other thread but mostly consisted of greater LA area to Nor Cal. </TD></TR></TABLE>

http://smogcheck.ca.gov/stdhome.asp

Referee Scheduling Center

(800) 622-7733
Old 07-09-2004, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AMS MIKE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I took a H22 in a eg hatch and BAR'd it. The mark on the flywheel was very faint and hard to see, so I had to take day-glow orange nail polish and go over the mark. Now you can see it! Simple as that.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

just for clarification, what is this mark on the fly wheel and what does it signify? sorry for the noob question!
Old 07-09-2004, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [SEARCHED] Who has a BAR sticker for their h22 swap? (DaStyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaStyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

just for clarification, what is this mark on the fly wheel and what does it signify? sorry for the noob question!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its the timing mark on the flywheel and you use it to set your timing with a timing light.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can you visit the BAR as many times until you pass or is it a one shot deal? how much are you guys shelling out per visit or until you got the job done?
Old 07-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cost is like $40 for visit and the sticker and you have like 2 or 3 chances if I remember corectly.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$30 for the visit and and if the guy is cool he will give you 1 free time to go back. Then another $30 for the next visit. The sticker is a grip! $8.75
Old 07-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AMS MIKE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$30 for the visit and and if the guy is cool he will give you 1 free time to go back. Then another $30 for the next visit. The sticker is a grip! $8.75
</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's highway robbery!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 02:19 PM

Damn, it feels good to live in wisconsin, the one advantage...
Old 07-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [SEARCHED] Who has a BAR sticker for their h22 swap? (92CivicSiR2)

Smog sucks
Old 07-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CD5 Sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that's highway robbery!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>yea but what you gona do go to the other bar place?

Quick Reply: [SEARCHED] Who has a BAR sticker for their h22 swap?