Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to build a N/A G22/3 build, help !

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 04:55 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to build a N/A G22/3 build, help !

Hey everyone, "new member" here. I write it that way cause I cannot count the number of times I've researched something and found the answer in these forums ☺️!
Now, I am on a very tight budget to build a weekend/track day CD7 accord. Was a f22b1 auto but the trans failed and engine was leaking. So I wrecked those and picked up a H23av with unknown lsd manual trans at the junkyard. Took the H apart to find it had crank walked. I.e. crank+block done for.
Now I hate everything conventional and for some reason, I love torturing myself with complicated s***. So absolutely not interested in dropping a very basic and easy f22/3 turbo build in there.
Did a lot of research in G22/3 swaps since I have most of the H23av internals+head+intake.
But I want to build a N/A setup and this is where I lack info and/or ended up on missing info.
from what I understand I can go for a f23 block+crank, H23 rods and k20 pistons. H22 head gasket and timing stuff.
Keep in mind parts have to be found in a junkyard or cheaply available. Also this is my first time building an engine.
So with that what's people's expertise/opinions on this.
If you're going to say "just swap it H22" I will politely ask you to refrain yourself (too simple &#128514
Thanks agead
Old 10-23-2020, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Looking to build a N/A G22/3 build, help !

Just a quick research

how bad is your block? If no holes. Everything else is still good. Just replace below 3 things
u can reuse the whole block minus pistons rods crank

just overbore the block. Brand new pistons
eagle rods. Or if they have stock with arp install since you’re doing basic na only nothing crazy

i ask bc u say buying everything from the junkyard

Re use your block
find h22a4 (95+ YEARS++) Same stroke and main journal. Easy to find all day
find h23a1 rods or buy eagle
H23A1 rod bearing
h22a4 main bearing

go find some 87 or 87.25/87.5 overbore k24 the 09 has 11:1 stock cr while 04-08 has 10.6?pistons??do some research here

go on with your g23 build
along with keeping your auto head
I suggest. Fresh it up and valve springs aftermarket. Along with matching your cam cr to pistons?

Basic zeal calculator you get 11-11.5:1. With only resurfacing head and block to make it true flat (I’ll how much it changes eagle rod on h23a1 with k24a2 pistons but quick copy paste info.)

maybe look into skunk2 pro1/ tuner2. Or something equivalent to that brand specs?

with that I can foresee a 8000-8500 with eagle rods

all my research (bored and was always interested in h23a’s)
ps. Only did a basic lookup. Please go thorough and if someone knows what they’re talking about. Validate if my info from basic research is correct!

(all info here along with crank)
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/official-h-f-piston-rod-crank-block-specs-cr-thread-1232811/

(Reverse k24 pistons? Didn’t do research)

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...stons-2507658/

Old 10-24-2020, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Looking to build a N/A G22/3 build, help !

No replacement for displacement. Why not a J swap? Junk yards are full of them and you can find a manual ECU from a later V6 Accord to run it. If you want a reliable track day car. I'd keep the engine close to stock and untouched. No rebuild will match stock reliability. Nothing worse than spending money for a track day and only being able to get 1/2 a session in before something breaks. I've seen it many times. Mostly turbo builds because something that's street reliable is often not track reliable.