Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[ To swap or not to Swap ]

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [ To swap or not to Swap ]

I am looking in to purchasing a civic. I am a newbie when dealing with car mods and swaps just to let you know.

Here's what I want to do. I want a car with power, speed and not pay alot. [ doesn't everyone] I am looking into buying a 96 civic coupe then do an engine swap. So would it really matter if I choose a lx, or dx or ex trim? I was wondering becasue lx and dx are cheaper to get and if they are the same why not save money that way and spend money on the engine. Do you guys think this would be a rational idea? what am I missing in engine swapping? I want to spend about 6-7g. I would like to get a decent audio sytem too. Or I can just get an Ex coupe and just get an audio system. Or I can try and get more money for a car loan to get the Si. I am not sure what to do. I really like the Si but it's kinda out of my price range right now unless I go salvaged, Anyone have experience with salvaged Si's? I need answers and YOU guys are the one that can help me. PLEASE. I do not want to make a costly decision. Ultimately I do not intend to drag or street race, but I do wnat to be able to peel out crusing at like 60 -70 mph. I will be adding an audio system which will add to weight, but I love my bass. Anything you can can proved with concerning my questions, ideas will really clearify my way of seeing this purchase and aid me in making the right choice for me at this time in my life.

nasTyneF
Old 04-27-2002, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: [ To swap or not to Swap ] (nasTyneF)

I think you may have a hard time buying a car, doing a swap and putting in a decent system for 6-7g's.

What you might consider is buying a cheap car in good condition and working on it gradually. You should always try to keep a little money in the bank, so don't dump everything you have into anything. Hybrids bring with them a lot of hidden expenses... and when everything's torn apart you have a tendency to upgrade a lot of stuff "becuase now's the best time".
Old 04-30-2002, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SI is not a good choice for performance. It may have the best stock engine. But the problem is that Honda has thrown every conceivable amenity on this car, making it VERY heavy. How does 2650 pounds sound to you? Not too good? I thought so. As far as money, there is no more cost effective way to increase the power output of a Honda Civic than engine swapping. PERIOD! With this in mind, I would DEFINITELY go for a lower trim Civic and do a swap. Not only will the car be cheaper. But the end result will be faster since lower trim cars are lighter. One more thing. You might also consider a 5G or even 4G Civic instead of a 6G Civic. The 5G and 4G Civics are both lighter and cheaper than 6G Civics. Also, the fact that neither is OBDII makes for easier swapping and better response of the engine to modifications. Sometimes, older IS better.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: [ To swap or not to Swap ] (JeffS)

Fast, Reliable, Cheap
choose two.
thats the deal when modding a car.

good luck and swapping is a GOOD idea.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:30 PM

If you are looking at a 96, go DX, cause it's lighter than the EX. And yes, DX's do come with radios... If you like 4 doors, then go for an LX... If you want all the power options, then go for EX, but if you're gonna do a swap, then you might lose some of those power options, like power steering and A/C... I mean, you can keep them, it just takes a little more...

Stay away from the Si, you can build a faster car for cheaper...

Just do me one favor, don't rice your car out...
Old 05-01-2002, 05:55 AM

Default Re: [ To swap or not to Swap ] (KAMiN)

Fast, Reliable, Cheap
choose two.
thats the deal when modding a car.

good luck and swapping is a GOOD idea.
AMEN!
Old 05-01-2002, 10:08 AM

Default Re: [ To swap or not to Swap ] (cspu)

Thanks for the info guys, it is helping out.

StorminMatt:
so something from 1996-1996 is good?

DX Generation:
I am looking for a 2d coupe. SO DX is a good way to go huh. lighter is alwasy good, and what do you mean by ricing? I'm still kinda new to this term. Have you ever had any experience with slavaged cars? [just thought i could save more money taht way]

So SI aren't everything they been raanked up for? so why so many all up its exahust if u know what i mean?

eLnasTyneF