Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * *

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * *

Get ready...

Here's a recap with updated, way more detailed info on what needs to be done when performing this specific type of B-series swap..

Please note this is mainly geared for 5-speed vehicle swaps, not so much Auto to 5speed conversions (I don't have much experience with auto to 5spd conversions!).

Familiarize yourself with these acronyms I will use to help cut back on long windyness:

OBD2a - 96-98 civic / 96-99 integra
OBD2b - 99-00 civic / 00-01 integra
EWH - engine wire harness
VTS - vtec solenoid
VTPS - vtec pressure switch
KS - knock sensor
IACV - idle air control valve
dizzy - distributor
PnP - plug n' play

<U>96-98 Civic:</U>

Engine Install:
Whether you are swapping in a B16/B18/B20vtec etc, make sure you get the correct engine mounts/shift linkage/axles!

Mounts/Brackets:
For 96-98 civics, look into getting these 99-00 Si engine brackets:
- front tranny bracket
- rear engine "T" bracket - Note: Integra "T" bracket pushes the motor forward a little too much, thats why a 99-00 Si or JDM EK4/9 "T" bracket is best to use.
- A/C bracket
- left side (driver side) dual-post engine block mount (only needed if going B18 - all B18 engines come with a 3-post right side mount). You can actually stick with a B18 3-post mount if you purchase a Hasport EK right-side driver replacement mount. Hasport offers 2 and 3 hole driver side mounts if you'd like to completely eliminate the OEM liquid filled mount that usually tears and leaks at some point or another in its life.

Or from a 94-01 integra use these brackets:
- front tranny bracket
- A/C bracket
If you want to retain your A/C compressor, pick up a "P54" 94-97 Delsol DOHC VTEC a/c bracket or a CRV a/c bracket. Both support the smaller civic a/c compressor.

From your stock civic you'll need to reuse these brackets which are compatible with a B-series engine:
- top tranny mount
- left side (driver side) dual-post bracket

Shift Linkage: For 96-00 EK the chassis, I highly recommend to use a 99-00 Si or JDM EK4/9 shift linkage. I recently found out 94-01 integra shift linkage will not center the shift lever in the center of the shift boot area. Shifting to 2nd/4th gears the shift lever sits too far back hitting the inner edge of the shift boot console border.

Axles: You can use any axles from these vehicles: 94-01 integra (JDM or US) all 5spd models, 99-00 Si, 94-97 DOHC delsol.

Once you get the motor in, wiring is your next feat...

Wiring: Part 1
Depending if you own a non-VTEC or VTEC model EK civic you can and should reuse your existing EWH (or run a 96-98 EX 5spd EWH). You cannot use an OBD1 EWH in an OBD2 civic. OBD1 EWH's are totally incompatible because of their 2-piece design. All EK civics use a 1-piece EWH design.

2-piece means the harness has a break off point somewhere (usually at the shock tower);
1-piece means the harness has NO break off points; wiring starts from the ecu plugs, leads through the firewall, and out to the engine seamlessly.

NOTE that you cannot use an OBD2b 99-00 civic wire harness in your 96-98 civic or vice versa. Don't be fooled! they look simliar but are very different as shown here:
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/w...e.jpg

If you have a non-vtec civic you will have to perform these mods to your EWH in order to be compatible with an OBD1 VTEC engine: (1) add VTEC wiring (2) wire in the KS (3) *perform the IACV mod.

*The IACV mod consists of converting a 3-wire IACV plug to a 2-wire IACV plug, as explained in my diagrams below. All OBD1 engines use a 2-wire IACV as do 96-00 5spd EX civic/99-00 Si:
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/w...8.jpg
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/w...g.jpg

If you own a VTEC civic such as a 5-speed EX model you're lucky...almost. Using this EWH is way handy because all of the mods mentioned above are already embedded into this harness from the factory. The only downside is that 2nd 02 sensor wiring is not part of this harness, but part of the cabin harness in an EX. So, if you plan to run a US OBD2 ecu to power the OBD1 engine, you will need to manually wire in the 2nd 02 sensor. Fun fun. Now, if you plan to use an OBD1 ecu, no need to wire in the 2nd 02 as OBD1 ecu's do not look for a 2nd 02.

For those non-VTEC civic owners who are weary of wiring, I suggest locating and using a 96-98 5spd EX EWH in your non-VTEC civic. It's totally compatible with non-VTEC 96-98 EK chassis's. Make sure you pick up a 5-SPEED EX harness and not an AUTO EX harness. Auto EX harnesses are wired slightly different and will not allow your car to start. I have yet to figure out why.

That said, lets move onto injector, distributor, alternator, and IAT plug changes...

Wiring: Part 2

In order to make an OBD1 engine work in an OBD2 civic a few more wiring mods are required which consist of the distributor, injectors, alternator, IAT, and CKF sensor:

(1- Distributor plug)
Convert to OBD1 dizzy plugs by cut/splicing OBD1 dizzy plugs and mating them to your OBD2 EWH, color matching the wires - or - find yourself an OBD2 B-series VTEC distributor (any 96-00 B-series VTEC dizzy) which will PnP to your 96-98 EWH (easiest option).

(2 - Injector clips)
Convert to OBD1 injector plugs by cut/splicing OBD1 injector plugs to your OBD2 EWH, color matching the wires - or - find yourself a set of OBD2 injectors (any 96-00 injectors, B-series to be specific, but D-series will work too) which will PnP to your 96-98 EWH (easiest option).

Another option you can do is by removing the blue cap inside your OBD2 injector clip and then wiggle the clip onto the OBD1 injector as shown here:
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/w...p.jpg
You'll wanna use a zip tie to secure the clip onto the OBD1 injector so that engine vibrations won't allow the clip to slip off the injector. You'll know what I mean if you try this mod

(3 - Alternator plug)
OBD1 alternators use a round style plug whereas OBD2 alternators use a squarish plug; here's an image to help understand:
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/a...s.jpg

You have a few options here.
1) you can either cut and splice an OBD1 alternator plug and mate it to your OBD2 EWH or...
2) find an OBD2 B-series alternator (any 96-01 B-series alternator will do) which makes it PnP to your EWH....(easiest option) or...
3) disassemble the OBD1 alternator and swap in an OBD2 alternator's inner plug as shown in this thread:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=461376
I believe you can use your D-series alternator plug in the OBD1 B-series alternator, but don't quote me on this as I haven't quite tried this mod yet.

(4 - IAT)
Your OBD2 IAT sensor plug is different than that of an OBD1 IAT. So, you can either keep your existing IAT sensor and make it work by making a hole in the intake arm. Or you can cut/splice the OBD1 IAT plug and mate it to your EWH so you can use the OBD1 IAT sensor thats located on the intake manifold runner.

(5 - CKF sensor)
If you're planning to use a US OBD2 ecu to power the OBD1 engine, you'll need a work around for the CKF sensor. This is the crank sensor that's integrated on the oil pump found on all US OBD2 engines. Only US OBD2 ecu's look for this sensor whereas OBD1 and JDM OBD2 ecu's do not...which means OBD1 & JDM OBD2 engines do not have a CKF sensor on the oil pump. In the old days (a coule years ago) one would have to upgrade their oil pump to that of a US OBD2 oil pump w/CKF sensor. This is probably the biggest problem when performing this kind of swap because of the $$$ & time you have to spend -- but behold the CKF BYPASS TRICK IS HERE

Once you perform this mod, you'll be glad to know that you can actually pass smog checks if your civic is B-series BAR'd or if you're running an OBD1 engine in an OBD2 integra for instance!

ECU

You have 3 options in this department.
Starting from easiest to hardest..

(option 1)
Run a JDM OBD2 ecu.

PROS: This by far is the easiest solution as this ecu plugs directly into your EK and doesn't look for a VTPS

CONS: OBD2 ecu upgrades are scarce; will not pass smog with a JDM OBD2 ecu as they do not communicate with US OBD2 scanner tools; 115-120mph speed limiter.

(option 2)
Convert to OBD1 ECU via OBD2a&gt;OBD1 jumper harness and simply use an OBD1 ecu (JDM or US) to power the engine, such as a reprogrammed P28.

PROS: OBD1 ecu's rule in general as they are easily reprogrammable and do not look for additional sensors (2nd 02 & CKF for instance). OBD1 ecu's are very forgiving and not as sensitive as US OBD2 ecu's are.

CONS: cannot pass smog, VTPS required to be wired in.

(option 3a)
Stay US OBD2 spec by using a 96-97 DOHC VTEC Delsol P30 ecu; 96-99 Integra P72/GSR ECU; or 96-98 P73/ITR ECU.

(option 3b)
Convert to OBD2b spec via OBD2a&gt;OBD2b jumper harness and use a 99-00 Civic Si ECU.

PROS: Can pass smog if CKF bypass trick is successfully performed in an integra or Civic Si chassis. If your Civic cx/dx is B-series BAR'd you should be able to pass smog too.

CONS: 2nd 02 needs to be wired in and working.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<U>99-00 Civic:</U>

Engine info for 96-98 civic can be applied.

Wiring: Part 1

Wiring info is simliar to that of 96-98 civic but slightly different.

If you have a non-vtec civic you will have to perform these mods to your EWH in order to be compatible with an OBD1 VTEC engine: (1) add the respective wiring for VTEC (2) wire in the KS (unless you plan to use a P28 ecu) (3) *perform the IACV mod (4) change your dizzy plug to that of a 99-00 Si, 96-98 civic, or 96-01 integra large sized dizzy plug.

*The IACV mod consists of converting a 3-wire IACV plug to a 2-wire IACV plug, as explained in my diagrams below. All OBD1 engines use a 2-wire IACV:
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/w...0.jpg
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/w...g.jpg

For whatever reasons, Honda switched to a smaller style dizzy plug on all 99-00 SOHC civic's. This plug has to be changed if you plan to reuse your SOHC EWH on the OBD1 engine. You'll need a 99-00 Si dizzy plug or a 96-98 dizzy plug that you'll need to depin and mate to your 99-00 CX/DX EWH.

As an optional choice its highly suggested to fully switch over to a 99-00 Si EWH which in contrast is simliar to using an EX harness in a 96-98 civic. But again, the 2nd 02 sensor is part of the Si's cabin harness. So you will have to manually wire in the 2nd 02 if you ultimately plan to use a US OBD2 ecu.

Wiring: Part 2

Wiring info from 96-98 civic can be applied.

ECU

You have 3 options in this department.
Starting from easiest to hardest..

(option 1)
Use a 99-00 Si ecu

PROS: This is the easiest solution as this ecu plugs directly into your 99-00 EK, but you will need to perform the CKF bypass trick. Will be able to pass smog depending on certain variables. 99-00 Si ecu is compatible with US OBD2 scanner tools.

CONS: CFK bypass trick is required; OBD2 ecu reprogramming is very scarce; 2nd 02 sensor required.

ROS: This by far is the easiest solution as this ecu plugs directly into your EK and doesn't look for a VTPS

CONS: OBD2b&gt;OBD2a jumper harness is required ecu upgrades are scarce; will not pass smog with a JDM OBD2 ecu as they do not communicate with US OBD2 scanner tools; 115-120mph speed limiter.

(option 2)
Convert to OBD1 ECU via OBD2b&gt;OBD1 jumper harness and simply use an OBD1 ecu (JDM or US) to power the engine, such as a reprogrammed P28.

PROS: OBD1 ecu's rule in general as they are easily reprogrammable and do not look for additional sensors (2nd 02 & CKF for instance). OBD1 ecu's are very forgiving and not as sensitive as US OBD2 ecu's are.

CONS: cannot pass smog, VTPS required to be wired in.

(option 3a)
Stay US OBD2b spec by using a 99-00 Si ecu; 00-01 Integra GSR or ITR ECU (requires Immobilizer removal!)

(option 3b)
Convert to OBD2b spec via OBD2a&gt;OBD2b jumper harness and use a 99-00 Civic Si ECU.

PROS: Can pass smog if CKF bypass trick is successfully performed in an integra or Civic Si chassis. If your Civic cx/dx is B-series BAR'd you should be able to pass smog too.

CONS: 2nd 02 needs to be wired in and working.

(option 4)
Run a JDM OBD2 ecu via OBD2b&gt;OBD2a jumper harness.
Or run a JDM CTR (PCT) ecu which is OBD2b spec and will PnP.

PROS: CKF bypass trick is noCan pass smog if CKF bypass trick is successfully performed in an integra or Civic Si chassis. If your Civic cx/dx is B-series BAR'd you should be able to pass smog too.

CONS: Requires OBD2b&gt;OBD2a jumper harness; Cannot pass smog; speed limiter at 115-120mph.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<U>OBD2a/OBD2b Integra:</U>

Engine Installation:
reuse all existing engine brackets/mounts/axles/shift linkage

Wiring:
Reuse existing EWH and follow wiring info for 96-98 civic for 96-99 Integra's or 99-00 Civic for 00-01 Integra's.

**OR**

You can actually use a US OBD1 engine wire harness in a 96-01 integra. You heard me right. 96-01 Integra's all retain a 2-piece wire harness design. Honda thankfully made the break off plugs backwards compatible with OBD1 EWH's.

So, if you can get your hands on any one of these OBD1 VTEC EWH:
94-95 integra GSR
92-95 civic Si/EX
93-95 DOHC Delsol

...you're all set..
Just make sure that if you own a non-VTEC integra that you have VTPS, VTS, and the KS wired in from the ecu plugs out to the shock tower plug and you'll be golden.

ECU:
Note: 96-01 OBD2 integra's all have the 2nd 02 sensor integrated into the cabin harness, so there's no need to wire in a 2nd 02 sensor at all for 96-01 integra's.
00-01 Integra ecu's are immobilizer equipped and cannot be swapped around unless the IMM is removed.

- (96-99 Integra) JDM OBD2 ecu (direct PnP). Same PRO/CONS as 96-98 civic w/JDM ecu.

- (00-01 Integra) JDM OBD2 ecu (OBD2b&gt;OBD2a jumper harness required). Same PRO/CONS as 96-98 civic w/JDM ecu.

- (96-01 Integra) OBD1 ECU conversion; same PROS/CONS as 96-00 civic OBD1 conversion.

- (96-99 Integra) OBD2a US ECU; PnP; same PROS/CONS as 96-98 Civic.

- (00-01 Integra) OBD2a US ECU; same PROS/CONS as 99-00 Civic.

- (96-99 Integra) OBD2b US ECU; OBD2a&gt;OBD2b jumper harness required; 00-01 integra ecu will need to have the immobilizer removed in order for 96-98 Integra to run.

- (00-01 Integra) OBD2b US ECU; 99-00 Si ECU will be PnP; pin A15 needs to be moved to A16 for fuel pump operaton if using 00-01 Integra ECU; 00-01 integra ecu will also need to have the immobilizer removed or bypass chip installed in order for car to run. IMMO bypass chip will alleviate the constant check engine light normally associated when the factory IMMO chip is removed and nothing is put in its place. Hit me up for IMMO Bypass chip services

------------
the end.
------------

Wow. this was extremely exhausting to write up.
Hope people find this informative and not too confusing! Although I think the whole optional ecu part of the swap may be a bit confusing for some.
If I find errors in this post I will fix them!

thanks for reading.

[update 3/08]

I'm in cahoots with Rywire and we have a new harness that might be hitting the market soon. This harness will allow the adaptation of an OBD2b civic engine wire harness (ie: 99-00 Si coupe) into an OBD2a 96-98 civic. This will be probably be the holy shrines of jumper harness adapters, but in due time (after testing) it should be available....

Last edited by Katman; 02-22-2011 at 08:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 05-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (Katman)

96 DX OBD2A EWH converted to work on OBD1 motors in this case a 94 LS

i am doing this for a buyer on the HT for sale board. also i am going to add the obd1 ecu plugs directly to the harness. saving the guy some $$$ from having to buy it. the buyer is not worried about being able to sell it later or having an uncut harness.

digital camera video of injector wires, iat, and iacv wires. i still have to change the alternator plug. had to change the plugs because i nor does the buyer have the oem parts needed to keep from changing the plugs.
http://s133.photobucket.com/al...r.flv
completed 96 dx obd2a EWH
http://s133.photobucket.com/al...o.flv
alternator wires
first pic is obd2a wires on the left and obd 1 wires on the right
http://i133.photobucket.com/al...1.jpg
obd1 alternator plug

dizzy conversion harness
http://i133.photobucket.com/al...y.jpg

i'll update when i am done with diagrams.
also i will be making diagrams for making a race car harness using obd2a engine harness. so you can use a switch panel if you want.

Modified by SCR ZC-T at 5:02 PM 5/7/2007

Modified by SCR ZC-T at 5:05 PM 5/7/2007
Old 11-22-2007, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (Katman)

so if i use all OBD2 sensors or injectors will the OBD1 ecu run it all ? like instead of splicing in all OBD1 plugs or all the sensors, alternator and such
Old 11-22-2007, 08:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (xapathyx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xapathyx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so if i use all OBD2 sensors or injectors will the OBD1 ecu run it all ? like instead of splicing in all OBD1 plugs or all the sensors, alternator and such </TD></TR></TABLE>

what are you talking about? need to know what engine you are putting into what chasis to give you an answer
Old 11-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (chad)

ok i mean can i use OBD2 injectors and distro with an OBD1 ecu .. im going from stock D16Y8 (OBD2) to B18B1 (which is OBD1) like what im saying is instead of cutting and splicing in the OBD1 injector clips and obd1 distro connectors can i just use obd2 parts like the injectors and distro and still run an OBD1 ECU , i plan to use the conversion harness obd2 to obd1
Old 11-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (xapathyx)

its in a 97 civic EX sorry forgot to add that
Old 11-22-2007, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yes you can use an OBD1/2 ecu and interchange OBD1/2, dizzy, tbody, injectors.

i have an obd2 dizzy on my obd1 car and visaversa in my obd2 car
Old 11-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (chad)

so i dont have to solder anything unless its just like making a wire longer... correct?, and that is if i use all the OBD2 stuff (ie. injectors, map sensor, dizzy, and mass air sensor)
Old 11-26-2007, 03:34 PM

i'll be putting a full 95 LS swap into a 2000 integra to get it running. I know i need to buy a obd2b to obd1 harness... is there anything else i need?
Old 11-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

KATMAN UR THE BEST~!~ thanks for the write up
Old 01-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xapathyx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i dont have to solder anything unless its just like making a wire longer... correct?, and that is if i use all the OBD2 stuff (ie. injectors, map sensor, dizzy, and mass air sensor)</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is correct.
OBD1 ecu's are compatible with OBD2 sensors, injectors, distrubtors, alternator, starters, etc..
OBD1 ecu's don't look for additional sensors that OBD2 ecu's look for ie. CKF and 2nd 02.

So in your case, you can reuse your EX injectors but you cannot reuse the EX distributor because its D-series. You need 96-01 B18B (b-series) dizzy, and while your at it, go ahead and get a 96-01 B18B alternator as well. If you don't you'll need change the alternator plug to an OBD1 spec Alt. plug.
Perhaps you can trade your OBD1 B18B alt & dizzy for that of OBD2 parts.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by str8drift &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'll be putting a full 95 LS swap into a 2000 integra to get it running. I know i need to buy a obd2b to obd1 harness... is there anything else i need? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm assuming you're reusing the 2000 integra engine wire harness?
If so and to make things easier on yourself, try and source out these parts from a 96-01 integra RS/LS:
- Alternator
- Distributor
- Injectors

Aquiring these parts will make the swap plug n play to your '00 integra engine harness.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmboss &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">KATMAN UR THE BEST~!~ thanks for the write up </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive got an 00 EM1 SI that I am ressurecting (stolen then salvage titled.) As far as the engine goes, from how I am taking this...

If the only engine I can find on my budget is a OBD-1 B16 in this car, all I need to do to make it work is:
-Use the stock EM1 ECU and perform the CFK bypass trick, as well as have a second o2 sensor (which the car has)
-Use the EM1 Harness
-Use an EM1 Dizzy and altenator
-Use EM1 injectors
-Use stock EM1 mounts, linkage, and axles.

As for the IACV, I was wondering if I could just trow on an EM1 Intake manifold with the EM1's IACV, or could I just swap out the OBD-1 IACV for an EM1 IACV?

Am I understanding this correctly? Im having some trouble finding a used EM1 motor, so Im trying to find some alternatives.

Also, being that the OBD-1 motor is an older motor, would I be able to pass my NYS inspections? If the engines are basically the same (visually speaking) and I am using the correct OBD2b EM1 electronics, will they be able to tell that the motor is out of an older car just by looking at it, or from hooking it up even if it has the OBD2b parts on it?

If ya get some free time and could lend me some help, that would be awesome. If not its cool. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (daluv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daluv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive got an 00 EM1 SI that I am ressurecting (stolen then salvage titled.) As far as the engine goes, from how I am taking this...

If the only engine I can find on my budget is a OBD-1 B16 in this car, all I need to do to make it work is:
-Use the stock EM1 ECU and perform the CFK bypass trick, as well as have a second o2 sensor (which the car has)
-Use the EM1 Harness
-Use an EM1 Dizzy and altenator
-Use EM1 injectors
-Use stock EM1 mounts, linkage, and axles.

As for the IACV, I was wondering if I could just trow on an EM1 Intake manifold with the EM1's IACV, or could I just swap out the OBD-1 IACV for an EM1 IACV?

You don't need to do anything regarding the IACV if you're reusing an Si engine wire harness. All Si's (B16A2/3) use a B-series 2-wire IACV, just like OBD1 B-series engines. SO you're cool as far as teh IACV goes

Am I understanding this correctly? Im having some trouble finding a used EM1 motor, so Im trying to find some alternatives.

Seems like you're comprehending my information correctly

Also, being that the OBD-1 motor is an older motor, would I be able to pass my NYS inspections? If the engines are basically the same (visually speaking) and I am using the correct OBD2b EM1 electronics, will they be able to tell that the motor is out of an older car just by looking at it, or from hooking it up even if it has the OBD2b parts on it?

I'm not sure what NYS inspections consist of (you might want to find out by calling them), but over here in CA, to pass smog with a BAR'd car, the engine has to be either the same year as the vehicle or newer, and if newer you have to carry over all of teh smog equipment as well as the ecu.

I'm going to assume NYS inspections isn't as strict as CA. If all they do is visually inspect the engine bay and not run any numbers from teh block, and you don't have any kind of check engine light on, and your car passes the sniffer, you'll pass. I know for a fact the CKF trick works for passing smog here in CA; I have friends that've passed while have the CKF tricked.

If ya get some free time and could lend me some help, that would be awesome. If not its cool. Thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Katman, thank you! Just what I needed to hear man. I know NY isnt as strict as CA yet, but then again Ive never onwed (atleast never owned and swapped) anything newer than a 95 hatch. This is my first step into the world of OBD-2 systems. Thanks alot for the info buddy!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (daluv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daluv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Katman, thank you! Just what I needed to hear man. I know NY isnt as strict as CA yet, but then again Ive never onwed (atleast never owned and swapped) anything newer than a 95 hatch. This is my first step into the world of OBD-2 systems. Thanks alot for the info buddy! </TD></TR></TABLE>

NP!
Old 03-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi Katman,

Thank you for the useful information. mine is slightly different.

I have a 96 civic dx and I do have a 5 speed ex engine harness from a 97.

I'm planning to drop in a 2000 GSR but I plan to run obd1 (p28).

Is there anything else I need to know?

These are the parts I have now
-chipped p28
-obd2a --&gt; obd1 ecu jumper
-rear L bracket from 99-00 si
-innovative mounts
-2000 gsr swap with blox IM/ITR cams
-DC axles/shift linkage

is everything pretty much plug and play (dizzy and other items)?

really thank you for your help...

Old 03-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (sanjiyan69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sanjiyan69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi Katman,

Thank you for the useful information. mine is slightly different.

I have a 96 civic dx and I do have a 5 speed ex engine harness from a 97.

I'm planning to drop in a 2000 GSR but I plan to run obd1 (p28).

Is there anything else I need to know?

These are the parts I have now
-chipped p28
-obd2a --&gt; obd1 ecu jumper
-rear L bracket from 99-00 si
-innovative mounts
-2000 gsr swap with blox IM/ITR cams
-DC axles/shift linkage

is everything pretty much plug and play (dizzy and other items)?

really thank you for your help...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hi

Make sure you run at the Si coupe left hand side dual-post bracket as well, other wise you won't be able to use the GSR's left hand side 3-post bracket (incompatible with EK chassis).

All electronic components should be plug n' play to the 97 EX harness being that the GSR engine is OBD2 spec.

Other than that, and being that you're coverting to OBD1, you should be set.
OH, you may need to extend your IAT sensor wiring.

PS: I've made an upate to my first post.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so even with these mounts , I still need the dual post bracket?
Old 03-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * * (sanjiyan69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sanjiyan69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so even with these mounts , I still need the dual post bracket?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is correct...you HAVE to run the dual post B16 mount.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's # 006 right?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you mean #6? if so, no, thats your top tranny bracket, which you do need to reuse on the B-series engine.

#E-14-1 is the bracket I am talking about.

this one:

Old 03-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm I just looked at my swap and I notice that the dual post mount has a circular engine mount on it ( it was in a EG/DC) before. I will post a picture when I get my camera. I think I'm set though.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sanjiyan69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmmm I just looked at my swap and I notice that the dual post mount has a circular engine mount on it ( it was in a EG/DC) before. I will post a picture when I get my camera. I think I'm set though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe that's the 3-post mount which all 94-01 integra's run as well as 92-95 Si/EX models.

post up pics to confirm
Old 03-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just a bonus shot of my other car
Old 03-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

YEP....that's a 3-post mount. Can't use that with an EK swap. sorry brah.

Quick Reply: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * *