Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****need help, vtec not engaging****

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ****need help, vtec not engaging****

car: '99 civic DX
engine: '96 JDM B16A OBD2A
wiring harness: '99 civic Si engine harness OBD2B
ecu: '99 Si P2T OBD2B
Ok here's the deal I had to use a usdm oil pressure switch so vtec would engage b/c the JDM engines don't come with one and I'm using the usdm wiring harness. I was running w/o the oil pressure switch for a couple of days until I bought a used one. Before I had it, the engine would redline at 6,500 and of course there was no vtec. Now that I bought the oil pressure switch and put it on, the engine will go all the way to redline but vtec will not engage all the time. Vtec only engages as soon as I turn on the car and it's only engaging in first and second gear. I haven't heard it crossover in third, fourth or fifth yet. Now when vtec does engage in first gear it will go all the way to redline but when I shift to second it will still be engaged until about 7,500 and it stops but I can shift at 8,000 with out it. I will try to change to vtec solenoid tomorrow or on friday and I bought a brand new oil pressure switch fom already and I will try to replace it as well. I don't know if this matters but the wiring harness I'm using had been spliced before b/c the car it came off of had a v-afc hooked up and the the person who put the harness back together didn't do a good job and it looks kind of sloppy, could it be an electric problem? Also the check engine light is on, 1) due to not having the O2 sensor hooked up on the cat and 2) I was told by the person who did my swap that there's a sensor called the crank angle sensor (I'm not totally sure it that's the correct name) that jdm engines don't come with and that the usdm wiring harness reads for. I will also try to read the codes it's throwing to see what I come up with. Even with out vtec the car feels a lot faster than before, but when it does crossover it feels really strong. I know this engine has some potential, but not if I can't figure out what's wrong with it. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

thanx in advance