Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A "WIRING HOW TO" on a ITR motor swap into a EK

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A "WIRING HOW TO" on a ITR motor swap into a EK

This is an attempt to straighten out a few minor details when dropping in a ITR motor into an EK. Also keep in mind guys that this is my first time doing this and I'm just trying to help out our hybrid community. The info below is what I believe was the better choice for me as far as motor/ecu/mounts/etc.. others might think otherwise and that is OK. If you have any suggestions and think that something is incorrect PLEASE contact me through Email or through this post.
As far as wiring I chose to use my DX wiring harness on the ITR motor and add the few wires that are missing in order to not get any codes and for VTEC to work properly. I also used a chipped P28 from Jason K. (REAL cool guy) and one of his OBD2-OBD1 ECU harnesses. I then made a sub-harness with the wires that the DX harness doesn't bring which where as follows.
A4 VTEC Solenoid
D3 Knock Sensor
D6 VTEC Oil Pressure Switch (which I had to use one from an older B16A motor I had lying round cause the JDM ITR motor doesn't use this sensor and the P28 ecu needs the signal in order to not get a code 22.)
The other wiring modification I had to do was on the motor side of the harness which was the IACV which is a square plug on EK's and you need to use the round type of plugs that came with the motor. Also keep in mind that the stock harness uses 3 wires for that plug and the one you'll be needing only uses 2 wires. You need to use the blk/blu and yel/blk wires and splice them into the IACV plug that came with the ITR motor. Here you will have to move the wire in pin A14 to A12 (I might have to get back on this one cause right now I'm not 100% sure).

Well this pretty much covers all the wiring that needs to get modified in order to get this swap going in the right direction. If you have any other questions regarding anything else used for the swap just contact me and I'll be glad to help with whatever I can
Old 06-22-2003, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: A "WIRING HOW TO" on a ITR motor swap into a EK (SPOONfdEK)

Good write up. Glad to see that you got it straighted out.

BTW, what part of South Florida you from? (you don't have to give the exactly what city cause of thieves that view this board)
Old 06-22-2003, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What kind of mounts did you use? Are they working alright? How long has the swap been in and is everything running smoothly? Nice wiring write-up---was very useful(i'm fixing to put a itr motor in my EK soon.) THanks.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:12 AM

im in MIAMI, I'm gonna post up tonight all the mounts / shift linkage / A/C Bracket that you use. I'm at work now. later
Old 06-23-2003, 05:40 PM

bump for the guys that havn't seen the post
Old 06-24-2003, 07:04 AM

Default Re: (SPOONfdEK)

cool post.... I'm doing a similar swap and this helps me alot. I am interested in hearing your post later, on the mounting situation....
Old 06-24-2003, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SpyderZEX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here you will have to move the wire in pin A14 to A12 (I might have to get back on this one cause right now I'm not 100% sure). </TD></TR></TABLE>

im lost on this one i am putting a obd1 swap into my ek with conversion harness running obd1 gsr ecu , i know the iacv plug is diff but when you say move pins is that on the ecu side? and if i have the conversion harness is it already done? great thread gonna help me alot
Old 06-24-2003, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know where that info came from but this is the info I use on 96-98 cars.

A8 is vtec solenoid
Move the A14 pin to A12

C15 is vtec pressure switch

D6 is knock sensor

The thing most people forget or avoid is the IACV plug, it goes from a 3 wire on the stock motor to a 2 wire on the b16a. So you have to eliminate one of the wires, the orange one and move that pin from the ecu side of the harness so it goes from a14 to a12.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ASHY-ELBOW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ASHY-ELBOW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

im lost on this one i am putting a obd1 swap into my ek with conversion harness running obd1 gsr ecu , i know the iacv plug is diff but when you say move pins is that on the ecu side? and if i have the conversion harness is it already done? great thread gonna help me alot </TD></TR></TABLE>
Look at the top plug in the post above this one. On the ecu side, the civic uses plugs a13 and a14, the integra only uses a12. A13 isnt used so just move the pin/wire that is in the a14 location to the a12 location. It wont be done the harness you are getting because it will still be plugged into the civic harness which needs to be changed. It sounds a lot harder than it actually is.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:26 PM

what ecu is that diagram for ? the one originally posted is for a P28 or P72
Old 06-24-2003, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That particular one is for 96-98 gsr. It is the same for itr's with a couple extra sensors.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:48 PM

Default Re: (Jackson)

the P28 comes on the VTEC EG's and the pin locations are exact on that specific set up . I did mention that there are other setups out there that might be different but I was explaining mine .
Old 06-24-2003, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SPOONfdEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the P28 comes on the VTEC EG's and the pin locations are exact on that specific set up . I did mention that there are other setups out there that might be different but I was explaining mine . </TD></TR></TABLE>
So you have an ek and you just plugged up the harness to the p28? You would have to modify the stock harness either way, then get an ecu jumper to run the obd1 ecu with obd2 plugs. Unless you just used all obd1 plugs and rewired your whole harness, which it doesnt sound like you did. So what did you do? Your info is just a little confusing, especially for people who are learning this.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is the way i wired up my ITR motor into my EK.. i used my stock ex harness to plug up to the motor, and used the JDM itr ecu.. the way i see it, if u have a dx ek, u can use a ex harness and the stock jdm ecu and not have to wire up the crank sensor or the secondary O2 b/c the jdm ecu doesn't look for these two sensor.. how do i know? b/c this is the way my is set up and i don't have either sensored hooked up on my ..

as for mounts, u have to get the two mounts: one is the mount located under the cam sprockets, u have to get the one from a 99-00 CIVIC SI!.. the other mount is the T bracket on the backside of the motor under the intake mani, this one u also get from the 99-00 CIVIC SI.. bascailly any mount that is attached to the motor u use the ones dat came with the motor (if any) and any mounts that is attached to the car, u can reuse the civic ones

the a/c bracket u do two ways:
first, if ur keepin the civic a/c compressor, u can still use any b-series a/c bracket but only two bolts will bolt up. this also go true if ur not keepin the a/c..
second, u can use the a/c bracket from a DOHC vtec delsol, they used the same style a/c compressors in our EK civic and will bolt up exaclty.

if any information is not correct please let me know, but for the most part this is the way i did my ITR swap in my EK coupe..

just my .02 cents

edit: the wirin applies to 96-98 civic, it maybe alittle different on 99-00 civic but not by much
Old 06-25-2003, 07:07 PM

I dont think its confusing at all. I used my stock DX harness and made a seperate harness for the wires that the dx doesnt bring witch are the vtec wires and the knock sensor. And i did mention that along with the P28 I used a jumper harness from Jason K. The stock harness was only modified when doing the IACV. which was converted from the square type plug to the round type . What is confusing about this .
Old 06-26-2003, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The confusing thing is that you posted obd1 ecu pin outs for an obd2 application. I understand what you are saying now. You just did it a little unusual. Have a good day.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:07 PM

I see your point as well , thanks bro