Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"What if questions" -hybrids look inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "What if questions" -hybrids look inside

I have some "what if" questions concerning engine swaps and insurance. I'll be specific to make this easy. If I had a civic with a type r motor in it and it was stolen, and either a) not recovered at all, or b) stolen and stripped, or c)missing engine parts, damaged parts while removing parts (valve cover, header), and I made a claim to insurance, would they cover the swap? Would they cover my car if I notify them of the swap before I get coverage? If I put the swap in after I insure the car, should I tell them? Will the rates go up ALOT? I'm just worried about buying a $3000 car and putting an $8000 motor in it. Granted there will be about 10 layers of security, but anything is possible. Do any of you have first hand experience with this sort of situation? Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "What if questions" -hybrids look inside (743teg)

As far as I know, most insurance companies will NOT cover the swap unless you specify it under your comprehensive coverage. Even then, you'll need to assess a value to it and have it covered...your premiums will go up according to the extra coverage and value of that coverage. And I believe most insurance companies will have a limit to how much you can cover also...

Save all of your receipts. At the most, I can only see the insurance covering for the value of the stock motor the car came with. So depending on the mileage/condition of your car, that might not even top $1k.

Old 06-17-2002, 09:02 AM

Default Re: "What if questions" -hybrids look inside (Prelude_RCR)

As far as I know, most insurance companies will NOT cover the swap unless you specify it under your comprehensive coverage. Even then, you'll need to assess a value to it and have it covered...your premiums will go up according to the extra coverage and value of that coverage. And I believe most insurance companies will have a limit to how much you can cover also...

Save all of your receipts. At the most, I can only see the insurance covering for the value of the stock motor the car came with. So depending on the mileage/condition of your car, that might not even top $1k.
Right on the nose.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "What if questions" -hybrids look inside (DX Generation)

I had a friend who totaled his car, 92 Accord w/H22a1. Well, after talking to the insurance company, they only cut him a check for $3000. Even though he had receipts for the H22, they said that they weren't notified of the new motor so they couldn't assess a value for that motor. (Meaning: Because we couldn't increase your premiums for having a new motor, we're not paying for it) And he couldn't get the motor back because it was damaged along with the car. And he had to buy back the car if he wanted the motor back. So now he has a $3k credit card debt for the swap, and no motor to show for it.

Most insurance companies =
Old 06-17-2002, 09:21 AM

Default Re: "What if questions" -hybrids look inside (Prelude_RCR)

hmm. . . .have any of you notified your insurer of a swap? I would expect a rate drop going from an integra (number one stolen car in america) to a hatch, which isnt even on the top 20 of most expensive to insure or most stolen. If the rates drop, and they rase my rates to reflect the swap, I wonder how much it would go up. I just want to make sure I dont lose any money if something were to happen.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "What if questions" -hybrids look inside (743teg)

I've been with my insurance company for the past 6 years and I have 3 cars under my policy, so I have a good relationship with my agent. I have comprehensive coverage of $4k for the hatch...so if my car gets stolen/totaled, I get the value of my car +$4k. Remember that a motor can depreciate with mileage, so they'll adjust the value of your motor accordingly. That's why I put it under comprehensive so I get the FULL value of my swap back in case of an accident or theft.

The best thing is to call around and ask the agents these questions. They'll work with you and try to meet your needs on coverage concerning swaps and other "custom" things. Good luck!

[Modified by Prelude_RCR, 10:35 AM 6/17/2002]