Honda-Tech News Main page blog post discussions and the News Archive

EVs Provide a Catch 22 for the Auto Industry

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 06:35 AM
put title here

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EVs Provide a Catch 22 for the Auto Industry

Originally Posted by rochesterricer
Not enough surface area on a car to contribute a worthwhile amount of electricity.
Correct, cost for surface area isn’t worth it at the moment. Maybe in the future if the costs of a solar panel got cheaper we could add them to cars but you’ll probably only get 1-3 miles after sitting out for 24 hours. Not much but maybe it would help getting a car home.

I know the fisker karma had a solar sunroof as an option for like 3-5k, not worth it.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:37 AM
put title here

Originally Posted by natedawg500
The article makes sense, far less parts to engineer from the company level. I don't get how we'll ever get the demand for these type of cars in the US. If they were the same price as gas version and you don't drive far, It would make sense but it's not even close to the same price. I personally think gas prices will stay low for a long time. Government needs to find a way to tax these cars for road use since they don't use gas. A Telsas tears the roads far more than the average car, since it weighs as much as half ton truck.
But that Tesla doesn’t require a semi to drive on all types of roads to fill up gas stations every few days or week.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Article talks about projections a decade out that will displace SOME powertrain jobs. The auto industry is constantly evolving and a decade is a long ******* time. Outside of some small towns that depend on a plant that may close, the effects of this will be negligible.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:45 PM
The Science Guy

Originally Posted by shamoo
People, including current employees, need to adapt. Just like any job.

If the world keeps moving, but you stay in the same place, you are going to let natural selection make you jobless. I tell my guys the same thing. There's always going to be more work coming. Everyone around you is adapting and learning. If you can't do it...well, better brush up that resume. Obviously don't say it exactly like that.
This x 2000000001
Old 01-05-2019, 09:51 PM
The Science Guy

Originally Posted by kidcool1977
Sorry for the noob questions. So there's no way to capture all that energy the sun is emitting?
Sun power is 1380 watts per square meter at its peak. assuming your car has a surface area of 10 square meters, and a solar power conversion efficiency of 20%, that adds up to an upper limit of roughly 4 HP.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:16 PM
I really don't know

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 5SpdH22

This just popped up on my drive home from the gym! you, me, and pandora = :heart:
Old 01-06-2019, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy

they already do.

In California we already pay a registration fee if we drive an EV only vehicle since we aren’t paying gas taxes.

average price for a new car in the States is what, 32k? ~40 gets you into a Bolt.
one of 50 states. Progress right?? My concern is states that don't raise fees is it will just continue to trickle into gas/ diesel prices over time with Tax raises. pretty soon gas will be 33% in taxes.

Did you just compare a bolt to a loaded accord? A bolt is a Chevy spark. thats a 13k car new. thats 2.5x times the price for the EV version. you think over a 10 year ownership period you are going to save 22k on gas to pay for that EV? Never mind think about owning a 10 year old electrical/ technology product. Who still uses a 10 year old iPhone? Yea it might work but it's so out of date.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:58 AM
rookn00b

o_0

Old 01-06-2019, 12:28 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by natedawg500
one of 50 states. Progress right?? My concern is states that don't raise fees is it will just continue to trickle into gas/ diesel prices over time with Tax raises. pretty soon gas will be 33% in taxes.
Actually, quite a few states do this: https://insideevs.com/a-look-at-whic...tric-car-fees/

In reality, your concern is a good reason to not impose such a fee, if your goal is to transition away from ICE vehicles. This will increasingly disincentivise the use of these fuels. Although it is important to note that net effect on the price of fuel is not as much as you would think, since increased adoption of EVs will lower the price of fuel by lowering demand, partially cancelling out the increased gas taxes.

Did you just compare a bolt to a loaded accord? A bolt is a Chevy spark. thats a 13k car new. thats 2.5x times the price for the EV version. you think over a 10 year ownership period you are going to save 22k on gas to pay for that EV? Never mind think about owning a 10 year old electrical/ technology product. Who still uses a 10 year old iPhone? Yea it might work but it's so out of date.
I'm afraid you are incorrect. The Bolt rides on a dedicated platform and is not on the Gamma platform that cars like the Sonic or Spark are on. Although those cars will eventually adopt the Bolt's platform as the next generation Gamma. However, even if they were on identical platforms, the Bolt is not simply an electrified Spark or Sonic. It is far more than that. Although such a perception is likely part of the reason why the Bolt isn't selling in huge numbers. One could argue that was deliberate on the part of GM.

In any case, your comparison is not very apt or relevant, since the vehicles you mention cannot be directly compared.