Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda-Tech News (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-tech-news-166/)
-   -   EVs Provide a Catch 22 for the Auto Industry (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-tech-news-166/evs-provide-catch-22-auto-industry-3332219/)

Curated Content Editor 01-04-2019 10:44 AM

EVs Provide a Catch 22 for the Auto Industry

EVs Create a Catch 22 for the Industry

Slideshow: Despite a growing worldwide effort to switch to electric vehicles, there are numerous impacts on the automotive industry that must be considered. For one, the automotive manufacturing and production jobs.

By Joseph Coelho - January 4, 2019

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...08cfabadca.jpg

mistersparco 01-04-2019 10:44 AM

Re: EVs Provide a Catch 22 for the Auto Industry

I like Teslas.

It Wasn't Me 01-04-2019 11:04 AM

Twenty minutes and only one reply?

Has this been in GDD the whole time?

.Grimace 01-04-2019 11:11 AM

Dumbest thread of 2019 calling it now. Manufacturing jobs will change from combustion engine vehicles to EV it's not like they suddenly build themselves with an electric motor.

Caoboy 01-04-2019 11:13 AM

They're gonna impact the auto manufacturing industry how?

The gas tank installer is gonna lose his job to the battery installer?

5SpdH22 01-04-2019 11:20 AM

moopmoop 01-04-2019 11:22 AM

I think the biggest flaw with EV is the lack of infrastructure for renters to own them.

BUT maybe that's good as it could cut private car ownership in urban areas.

Which would require less parking.

Encouraging more cities to do away with parking minimums for new construction.

Allowing for more green space, affordable housing & sidewalks.

THE WORLD COULD BE GOOD.

Caoboy 01-04-2019 12:18 PM

Daz is willing to put in a supercharger for his tenants.

ShaunRR 01-04-2019 12:26 PM

You guys should have had me write this article.

shamoo 01-04-2019 02:11 PM

People, including current employees, need to adapt. Just like any job.

If the world keeps moving, but you stay in the same place, you are going to let natural selection make you jobless. I tell my guys the same thing. There's always going to be more work coming. Everyone around you is adapting and learning. If you can't do it...well, better brush up that resume. Obviously don't say it exactly like that. :P

slowman 01-04-2019 02:24 PM

my dad recently got a bolt ev as just a lol type of car to try it out. obamanotbad.jpg interesting drive i say.

shamoo 01-04-2019 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by slowman (Post 51822447)
my dad recently got a bolt ev as just a lol type of car to try it out. obamanotbad.jpg interesting drive i say.

Nothing wrong with the Bolt. Only thing I'm not a fan of is its looks, but that's totally subjective.

It is currently the cheapest EV car you can get that has the highest range. It is around $40K or so after discounts/rebates I believe. My sister-in-law got one last year.

In terms of best bang for the buck, it is probably going to be a Prius Hybrid. It used to be a base Civic, but they rose in price over the years from $15K to almost $24K now, which is the price of a Prius IV.

Ex-Eg-Driver 01-04-2019 02:37 PM

Workers will adapt or leave. I work for Tesla and many of the OGs of the company are from the previous company NUMMI that existed in the factory location before Tesla bought the factory. The processes will just change and there will probably be an adjustment to manpower count throughout the factory.

slowman 01-04-2019 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by shamoo (Post 51822459)
Nothing wrong with the Bolt. Only thing I'm not a fan of is its looks, but that's totally subjective.

It is currently the cheapest EV car you can get that has the highest range. It is around $40K or so after discounts/rebates I believe. My sister-in-law got one last year.

yeah for sure. he has a plethora of cars and this was just a "fun to try it out" kinda car. he's definitely not the "EV type of dude". they're neat/interesting, but definitely not gonna win any "good looks" awards lol.

ShaunRR 01-04-2019 02:45 PM

Bolt starts at 37k before incentives or rebates. Although many of the ones in dealer inventory are the higher trim level at something like 43k.

slowman 01-04-2019 02:49 PM

i think chevy bolt EV tech is some of the best out there today. but a lot of folks get wrapped up in brand name recognition of course and Tesla owns that market.

ShaunRR 01-04-2019 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by slowman (Post 51822476)
i think chevy bolt EV tech is some of the best out there today. but a lot of folks get wrapped up in brand name recognition of course and Tesla owns that market.

Meh, there are real reasons the Bolt sells so poorly, and it isn't because of branding. The main reason is looks. Minivan shaped hatches sell poorly in the US to begin with, but the Bolt is especially ugly in person. GM really should have made this a CUV from the start if they wanted it to sell, but I'm not yet convinced that is what they wanted. There are also quite a few complaints about cheap interior materials, along with MANY complaints about how uncomfortable the seats are. There are also more minor things like the lack of available adaptive cruise control in a car this expensive.

Fundamentally though, few people are willing to pay so much for a compact hatchback. GM made a mistake designing a 40k car to compete with cars that start at 17k. This is why Tesla targeted the luxury sport sedan market with the 3.

kidcool1977 01-04-2019 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Caoboy (Post 51822284)
Daz is willing to put in a supercharger for his tenants.

don't know why I find this funny,

How come solar panels aren't added to EVs as an rechargeable energy source?

Caoboy 01-04-2019 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by kidcool1977 (Post 51822651)

they don’t put out enough energy.

prius had an optional solar roof that was intended to do just that. It ended up being some solar vent thing that would circulate air in the cabin while parked to keep the temps lower.

kidcool1977 01-04-2019 08:54 PM

Sorry for the noob questions. So there's no way to capture all that energy the sun is emitting?

Caoboy 01-04-2019 08:59 PM

Not enough to power the car indefinitely.

ShaunRR 01-04-2019 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by kidcool1977 (Post 51822651)

Not enough surface area on a car to contribute a worthwhile amount of electricity.

natedawg500 01-04-2019 09:43 PM

The article makes sense, far less parts to engineer from the company level. I don't get how we'll ever get the demand for these type of cars in the US. If they were the same price as gas version and you don't drive far, It would make sense but it's not even close to the same price. I personally think gas prices will stay low for a long time. Government needs to find a way to tax these cars for road use since they don't use gas. A Telsas tears the roads far more than the average car, since it weighs as much as half ton truck.

Caoboy 01-04-2019 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by natedawg500 (Post 51822683)
The article makes sense, far less parts to engineer from the company level. I don't get how we'll ever get the demand for these type of cars in the US. If they were the same price as gas version and you don't drive far, It would make sense but it's not even close to the same price. I personally think gas prices will stay low for a long time. Government needs to find a way to tax these cars for road use since they don't use gas. A Telsas tears the roads far more than the average car, since it weighs as much as half ton truck.

they already do.

In California we already pay a registration fee if we drive an EV only vehicle since we aren’t paying gas taxes.

average price for a new car in the States is what, 32k? ~40 gets you into a Bolt.

b_ack51 01-05-2019 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by moopmoop (Post 51822233)
I think the biggest flaw with EV is the lack of infrastructure for renters to own them.

BUT maybe that's good as it could cut private car ownership in urban areas.

Which would require less parking.

Encouraging more cities to do away with parking minimums for new construction.

Allowing for more green space, affordable housing & sidewalks.

THE WORLD COULD BE GOOD.

Renters will need to get the apartment complex, parking garage, or other public places to install chargers. My buddy wants to get a Tesla and I told him to wait till he owns a house or gets his apartment to install a couple of chargers because you’ll have idiots who park in front of chargers on purpose or they can’t read a sign.

In Columbus we have public chargers at parks, restaurants, malls, parking garages, even on street parking. It’s great to see and if you’re curious about your city/area, download the PlugShare app and it’ll have a map with locations of all types of chargers including user reviews, costs or free, etc.

Regarding the bolt, there’s lots of things wrong with that car but the main one is the charging cability. Good for only local driving. Seats are cheap and uncomfortable. I won’t even go into the style, it’s ugly. I wanted to like one, but it’s government motors throwing together a 15k hatch and selling for 40k. Plus let’s not even get into the tech part of it.