Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000
View Poll Results: Best fluid to help cold shifting notchy feel?
Honda MTF
57.02%
GM Syncro w/ FM
33.06%
Other (please post below)
9.92%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission fluid: GM Syncro or Honda?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid: GM Syncro or Honda?

Hey everyone-

Just picked up my S2000 a few days ago and its pretty notchy shifting from 1st --> 2nd when cold. It goes away when warmed up. I've read that this is (somewhat) normal, but that a fluid change can help. It has just shy of ~29k miles on it and I'm sure it's the original fluid still inside.

What fluid helps the problem the most? Honda MTF, GM Synco w/ FM or other (please list)?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2010, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission fluid: GM Syncro or Honda?

I have only used Honda MTF, I have heard of others using stuff like redline and Amsoil with pretty good results. I have heard both good and bad with GM Syncro mesh. If you have an early AP2 that does the second gear pop out, you can use a 50/50 Honda MTF and Amsoil syncromesh to stop this from happening. As for the shifting being notchy, the transmissions are kinda of notchy as they are pretty tight fitting and precise (more so that your daily driven civic), so you will get a more direct feel when shifting. So don't be surpirsed when you change the fluid and it still feels the same.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you. I'm leaning towards trying the Honda MTF, as I've heard the "new" fluid that came out somewhere in 06/07 is supposed to take some of the notch out.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to let you know I just changed my fluid last week and my transmission is still the same as it was from day one. There is not a lot of play in them so you will feel it as it shifts from gear to gear. Now don't get me wrong do change your tranny fluid in fact change them all as you don't know when it was done last. Just don't think something is wrong if you change it and it still feels the same
Old 02-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got it. It doesn't really worry me if it doesn't go away as I've read it's fairly normal. It doesn't grind or anything, just notchy when cold. If it helps, great. If not, it needed a fluid change anyway.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh and forgot to mention this in case you didn't already know. When changing your diff and transmission fluid. Always take off your fill plug first to make sure you can get it off, you don't want to drain your fluid only to find that you can't get the fill one off.

If you do decide to do your diff fluid as well I would just use Mobile 1 gear lube 75w-90, as there is a high possibility that if you went to the dealer and asked for the diff fluid for an S2000 they don't stock it. And since many dealers don't service many of these cars, will just sell you what they put into CR-Vs. You put that stuff in there and your diff will be finished in no time. If you really must use Honda diff fluid I can look around and see if I have the TSB, that tells what type it is. I know that you most likely will need to get it from a Honda motorcycle place. You are also going to need these two tools a 23mm box wrench for the fill bolt (not enough room for a socket) and a 24 mm socket for the drain bolt (it is recessed so a wrench will not be able to get on it. Hope this helps
Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is slightly notchy in the cold as well, never worried me as it is a roadster and wasnt built for cold weather or to be driven lightly. If the tranny starts to get notchy it just means you need to push it a little more.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine was notchy when i first got it. new Honda fluid fixed the problem for a couple thousand miles, then it was back to notchy. I switched to torco rtf it fixed the notchiness and 10k miles later all was still good.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There's this obscure stuff called BG Syncro Shift II. I've been using it in my FWD Hondas for years. Best tranny fluid I've found. Turned my '07 S2K's notchy 1-2 shift into butter and the rest of the gears from amazing to pure ecstasy. EVO owners swear by it too. Expensive though. My '08 transmission is flawless but I still can't wait to put Syncro Shift II in it 'cause the stuff just makes shifting so much smoother.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda MTF has always been reliable for any of my transmissions over the years, as well as friends.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hardtopguy has both the diff fluid you want to use which is NOT regular gear oil as someone earlier mentioned, and tranny fluid.

I personally use GM Syncro and I love it.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its not a civic bro.. put honda MTF in it...im not going to lie though, i had synchromesh in my ITR tranny when i had my integra
Old 02-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought 2 quarts of Honda MTF and changed it out yesterday. What a breeze of a job. It took me longer to get the car fully in the air then it did to actually change the fluid itself.

Shifts are a bit more smooth and the "notchy" feel when cold from 1st to 2nd is reduced a bit (and definitely goes away faster).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Old 02-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amsoil MTF- have it in my integra. Superior product over Honda MTF and Pennzoil Synchromesh
Old 02-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used Pennzoil Syncromesh in all my honda trannys and it works wonders.
I actually run it straight, no mixing with other fluids.

It got rid of a 3rd gear grind in my daily driver EF.

The longer you keep it in, the better it works. It actually need a break in time.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by alscrx
I have used Pennzoil Syncromesh in all my honda trannys and it works wonders.
I actually run it straight, no mixing with other fluids.

It got rid of a 3rd gear grind in my daily driver EF.

The longer you keep it in, the better it works. It actually need a break in time.
it's not an $800 civic bro....you don't to that **** to an s2000...its a totally different type of transmission
Old 02-14-2010, 09:01 PM
bky
Honda-Tech Member

I use Synchromesh. It works better than the Honda fluids I've had, and is much easier to get that Amsoil.

I put Amsoil in the diff though.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boots
it's not an $800 civic bro....you don't to that **** to an s2000...its a totally different type of transmission
So our s2000's don't use Syncro's? Lol....
Its like using a synthetic oil, some people do, some people are afraid.

Its not gonna do damage, in my opinion and 11 years as a certified auto tech.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by alscrx
So our s2000's don't use Syncro's? Lol....
Its like using a synthetic oil, some people do, some people are afraid.

Its not gonna do damage, in my opinion and 11 years as a certified auto tech.
ok, since you want to try and turn this into a pissing contest, let me ask you a question...can you tell me if synchromesh damages a direct drive transmission or not? you cant give me any proof the **** works or doesn't, so for me, and ive "been an auto technician" for 7 years myself, ill go with what the manufacturer recommends..because they built the car..im not sticking anything in my honda that goes in a GM...i mean ****, they can't even build cars with any kind of quality or integrity...and further more, you of all people should know your EF uses linkage to shift, the s2000 does not, so you cant even compare the two
Old 02-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a Honda use Honda MTF
Old 02-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BeenBLOWN
Its a Honda use Honda MTF
I get that, but I always ask for suggestions. My integra transmission looooooved when I swapped from Honda fluid to GM syncro (non-fm).

Figured I'd ask for the S2000 as I'd seen GM syncro show up in threads on fluid.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally find that opinions on the internet are pretty worthless....plus, from what I've seen, fluids are fluids. I've used a ton of different oils/fluids and I've never had an engine fail and had very few issues out of a transmission (minus my current one that has a few issues due to poor assembly by a previous owner). I've tried multiple different tranny fluids, all did the same exact thing from what I could tell. Who knows, maybe going from 100k old tranny fluid to GM Syncromesh helped, but replacing it with fresh Honda MTF would've done the same thing as well.....who will ever know and I find its just best to try it for yourself and take the e-pinions out.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fivespeedintegra
I get that, but I always ask for suggestions. My integra transmission looooooved when I swapped from Honda fluid to GM syncro (non-fm).

Figured I'd ask for the S2000 as I'd seen GM syncro show up in threads on fluid.

Always used Honda MTF in my 99 Si.

Although it never really shifted as smooth as I though, still "felt" it go into each gear, especially 3rd.

Swapped to GM and it was butta.

I was sold from that point forward.

Yes the tolerances on an s2k tranny are alot tighter, which is more of a reason to have something that is that much better.

If course at the end of the day, its your opinion and your transmission.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boots
ok, since you want to try and turn this into a pissing contest, let me ask you a question...can you tell me if synchromesh damages a direct drive transmission or not? you cant give me any proof the **** works or doesn't, so for me, and ive "been an auto technician" for 7 years myself, ill go with what the manufacturer recommends..because they built the car..im not sticking anything in my honda that goes in a GM...i mean ****, they can't even build cars with any kind of quality or integrity...and further more, you of all people should know your EF uses linkage to shift, the s2000 does not, so you cant even compare the two
I am not debating....simply giving my opinion. And i didn't recommend GM......i said pennzoil.
I agree with your statement about GM...they build and sell crap!

And it doesn't matter if its gearbox or linkage.....its the syncros we are talking about.
Just my opinion anyways......
Old 02-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would recommend AMSOIL hands down.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid: GM Syncro or Honda?