Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Some final mods to make my s2000 complete: Footwell lights, spare tire sub, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some final mods to make my s2000 complete: Footwell lights, spare tire sub, etc...

I have a habit of finding small things that bug me with ANY car. My last fixes involved a mod to let you put the top up and down while moving -- instead of being fully stopped, and a mod to let you open the passenger door and trunk while the car is running, without having to reach over to the passenger door and manually unlock it (pain). See here for those:

a few s2000 gripes/concerns? Passenger door locking, and conv top

Ever since I got my S2000, it always bothered me that it didn't have footwell lights. I've done this mod to all of my cars that didn't have them from the factory and they are great. I added red footwells that come on automatically when a door is opened, or via a hidden push button switch.

A few more pics in my Sebring/all red interior:

To see on how I did this and a full-write, go here:

wiring lights in the footwell

My 2nd project involves adding an Acura RSX-S bose spare tire sub to my stock 2002 system. This fits PERFECT in the S2000 spare tire. If you want bass, and want it prefectly STEALTH, this is a great mod for you. A lot of guys with these RSX-S's are upgrading their systems to aftermarket and you can pick one up cheap.

Some of these photo's taken from other s2ki members:

To learn where to find a used one and how to install it with your factory/aftermarket deck, go here:

bose spare tire sub

My 3rd project was to add an Alpine CD changer to the stock 2002 deck. If you didn't know, the Honda deck is basically ready to work with most ALPINE 6-disc changers. All you need is a special plug made by http://www.blitzsafe.com and it will plug right in. No FM modulation junk, and it works with the factory cd changer controls and audio controls by the start button. If you can find an old used Alpine 6-disc, it will work. I used a Alpine S600 model. I mounted the changer under the front driver seat with velcro on the buttom. This is the best palce for easy access and it doesn't move.

For more info on adding this changer go here:

alpine changer
Old 06-25-2003, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Some final mods to make my s2000 complete: Footwell lights, spare tire sub, etc... (Jason B)

thanks for the info, especially on the spare tire and cd changer deal.

update us on how its going
Old 06-25-2003, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Some final mods to make my s2000 complete: Footwell lights, spare tire sub, etc... (Jason B)

I really like the subwoofer deal from the RSX..I'll be on the lookout for one of those...
Old 06-25-2003, 10:50 PM
Will you make something up for me please?

Default Re: Some final mods to make my s2000 complete: Footwell lights, spare tire sub, etc... (Blue-Civic-H

How does the subwoofer sound? I have spoken to several professional system installers and they have all said that S2000's are very hard to work on (bass clarity).

Having and open top and basically a sealed section between the driver/passenger compartment and trunk make for a bad combination.

I have heard that very few subwoofers work well in this car. Unless you're pushing massive wattage, it's basically worthless to add anything besides interior speakers.

I need a good sounding system....and because of this, I'm trying to do lots of research to find something good....and cheap.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Some final mods to make my s2000 complete: Footwell lights, spare tire sub, etc... (Blue-Civic-H

got rice?
Old 06-25-2003, 11:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VeeAreFour &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got rice?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Got a clue?
Old 06-26-2003, 05:47 AM

how does that sub...sound in your car?
Old 06-26-2003, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After I got it hooked up, I was a little disappointed. I know it's a 6 1/2 sub, but I just thought it should be louder. I then realized I put it in backwards. The sub has an arrow on it for which end is the FRONT. It was a little better after that, but I still wasn't satisfied. I then unscrewed the six screws that hold the plastic cover over the sub and compared the difference. It was a night and day difference! If you have this sub, just remove the whole cover completely like I did in the pics above!!! Since the RSX spate tire just sits at the bottom of the trunk, maybe that wcover is needed. In the S2000 the spare is hidden under the rear deck. Taking that cover off is a must.

If you open the trunk it even sounds better, but you can't drive around like that, hehe.

It definitely sounds good now, and gives a decent punch for what it is. The coolest thing is that hides inside your spare giving you a total stealth look. If you can get one cheap, I recommend it. Check my links above in my first post for the forums you can post on to find one.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:04 AM

Good description. I might actually have to pick one up.

How does it sound while driving with the top down? I know that you can't get much bass when you're cruising on a highway, and I don't even expect it. But if you like the sound for what it is....it's good enough recommendation for me.

From s2ki and here, you seem to know what you're talking about.

But of course I'm still gonna get some crazy interior speakers with some crazy wattage as well.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:56 PM
Eat me

wow very nice, u braver then me cutting all them wires nice car
Old 07-07-2003, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another project I've been planning to do is now done...

Can you tell what's different?

I had the rear valance painted to match the body. I've wanted to so this since I got the car. The stock rear valance was the only black piece on the car and it always bugged me. I can say this, if anyone has this done, there will be no turning back! It looks great and you WILL NOT regret it - totally finished off the car in my opinion. The car flows much better and even the exhaust stands out a little more and looks custom.

I will get more pics in the daylight soon and add them.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:03 AM

Wow, looks awesome Jason. I had wanted to do that to mine, but wasn't sure if it was going to look right.

How does the paint hold up to the heat from the exhaust? Any funny paint rippling or warping? Probably not, right?

Soo.....j00 never answered my other question. How does the RSX sub sound in the S2000? People always said that very few subs sound good in our cars. If you say it's good, I'm probably gonna go pick one up.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:05 PM

does the bose sub work without the cover on? cuz i dont feel like cutting the cover in half....looks kinda uh...ghetto lol
Old 07-09-2003, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

those are some pretty cool mods.
i've never thought of some of them.

nice car and good ideas.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (arcticblursx)

You don't need to cut the cover in half. I used that pic from somone elses car. I just removed the 6 screws on the top of the unit and that's all you have to do. I wouldn't cut it, you don't need to.

It sounds better with the top up of course, but still sounds good with the top down and you can still hear/feel it.

More rear painted valance pics:

Old 08-17-2015, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some final mods to make my s2000 complete: Footwell lights, spare tire sub, etc..

I know this is older, but for those that have the Modifry shift beeper, have any of you had issues with it overtime?

Recently it stops working out of nowhere, and at the same time it does, I have a RSX sub woofer that's connected to the battery with a fuse and that stops working at the exact same time. Eventually or a couple weeks down the road both will start working again. I don't know how this is tied together. Any ideas?
Old 09-01-2015, 12:44 PM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Some final mods to make my s2000 complete: Footwell lights, spare tire sub, etc..

That is very odd, are they tied to the same radio power wire by chance? You may have better luck with a new post.