Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

00MY AP1 The new daily

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00MY AP1 The new daily

Disclaimer: This thread will highlight a list of issues I have identified with my particular S2000. I'll upload any documented repairs that might help other members... And maybe provide an interesting read. Having built and tuned engines, I am no longer a mechanic (no one should pay me either), but I am very good at finding things that are wrong or about to go wrong.

Twenty years ago I bought my first Honda. A virgin 1997 Acura LS sedan that blossomed into a built, vtec turbocharged green beastie from the perversion of my newly awakened frankenstein hand. Home built from a factory manual, near 300hp and subtly riced just right for the time, I would've boldly driven across to the Fast and Furious 2 casting call.... but we went to the beach instead. Since then, a slew of cars, from Mercurys to Maximas have passed through my hands. Twenty years later, 2 Hondas still live in my stable, one is a hard tested track EG and the other, a mild mannered EK being re-assembled for street duty. I must have a soft spot for Hondas, having owned at least 4 in the past years; I might even trade my Subaru for another EK... but by no means am I a fanatical Honda owner or out of control in any way.

So last week... I bought a 16 year old AP1 S2000....and plan to daily drive it.

Not nervous... it's the only way to describe my approach to the purchase, maybe nerve racking, but not nervous. Where I live at the moment may be a JDM parts buyer's dream, but there are likely fewer than 5 examples of S2000's in the country. This particular car is a Singapore model in fairly good condition, very low mileage, given the age and 3 previous owners, I expected some wear and buggy parts. Upon looking her over with owner's eyes, I found a laundry list of small things to fix, tighten, tuck, repair or replace. A problem with the electronic steering trying to ghost drive the car is the major concern right now after a proper alignment and all new shoes were bolted up to the stock 16" rims. 2 rims are dented significantly and 16" tyres have the worst selection. 17" upgraded sizing may be in the near future. Brake pads and rotors are next as far as major replacement and a full fluid flush and refill is in order for the weekend. My buddy found a good japanese breaker site that has some RHD interior bits but I am always looking for a solid supplier of quality parts. This car will cover at least 100Km per day while it's kept in it's stock format. The only mods are a mystery coilover suspension and an aftermarket stage 1 clutch. One of my civics will bully a stock S2000 in a straight line (and probably on the track too), but the point of this car is solid, reliably, crazy-cool, razor sharp transport. Thankfully this car already has an excellent condition replacement top with a rear window made of glass (early model AP1). Surprisingly it does not have an OBD scan port so I assume there's a service connector somewhere under the column that I need to find. The first wash at it's new home will be tomorrow when maybe the effect of this new addition to the fleet will kick in... and I'm going to have to name it, because...

Holy rum ***** Batman, I bought an S2000 !
I'm not excited at all...
Did I mention that it's red ?
Attached Images  

Last edited by X2BOARD; 12-16-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00MY AP1 The new daily

So the first and most important issue is the GHOST STEERING, wandering wheel, whatever you like. When the car is at a standstill, or about to move forward, the wheel wanders to the right, even on an uneven surface. On straight flat road, slowly (or at any speed), moving forward, the wheel turns itself to the right, as much as a half turn. Hands off the wheel will let it turn the whole half turn. If you let go of the wheel at any level of speed, the steering will pull the car to the right significantly. Some searching results in blaming the torque sensor (a huge pita to change on the steering column), some say the ecu control or reset at the dealer. I have a scan tool, but this car has no OBD port that I could find after a search under the dash. I haven't found a service connector, but I need to check in the depth of the dash again under the steering column.

I have read about a 'calibration procedure' that someone posted on another forum that has gone around, but no one ever seems to chime back in as to if the procedure worked.

What sets off a problem with steering calibration ?
Old 12-18-2016, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I attempted this EPS Torque sensor memorization/calibration or reset type procedure that has been re-posted on a couple sites:

(I can't be held liable for damage to any car, etc... the following info was compiled or posted from other websites... I am not a Honda mechanic and am generally as ingeniously stupid as the other guy, just hopefully not everyday)

*****************************>
With the car off, and the wheel straight do the following

1. Align your wheels so they're facing straight.
2. Short the SCS circuit/plug OR
2a. Using a paper clip or backprobes, connect PIN 9 to PIN 4 on the ODBII connector.
3. Turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left from the straight ahead position, and hold it in that position.
4. Turn the ignition switch ON (III). The EPS indicator comes on, then it goes off after 4 seconds.
5. Within 4 seconds after the EPS indicator goes off, return the steering wheel to the straight ahead driving position and release the steering wheel. The EPS indicator will come on again 4 seconds after releasing the steering wheel.
5. Within 4 seconds after the EPS indicator comes on, turn the steering wheel to the left45 degree position and hold the steering wheel. The EPS indicator will turn off again after 4 seconds.
6. Within 4 seconds after the EPS indicator goes off, return the steering wheel to the straight ahead driving position and release the steering wheel. Do not move the steering wheel before turning the ignition switch OFF.
NOTE: If the steering wheel is moved, the torque sensor neutral position cannot be written to memory.
7. The EPS indicator blinks twice 4 seconds after releasing the steering wheel, then it blinks three times 5 seconds after. Then, the indicator goes off. The torque sensor neutral position is memorized.
NOTE: If the EPS indicator stays on, there was an error in wrting the torque sensor neutral position to memory. Repeat the procedure from the start.
8. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
9. Disconnect the SCS short.

If the EPS light stays on, you will have to do this process again.

********************<
You need to have the Service Connector plug connected/grounded to initiate the procedure if your car does not have an OBD port (early AP1 ?)... and I tried the method above multiple times and although I was able to get the system into it's mode to execute the procedure (steering wheel left 45 deg, ignition on at position II)... I was not able to complete the procedure before the EPS light defaulted to flashing a code (2 long flashes, 3 short).

So I then found this procedure which is slightly different:
*********************>
Memorize Torque Sensor Neutral Position:

With the wheels on the ground:
-Ignition off: Short the DTC connector. Set the steering wheel 45deg to the left.
-Turn the ignition switch to ON. DO NOT start the engine.
-The EPS indicator will go on and then off.
-When the indicator goes off, within 4 seconds, turn the wheel back to straight ahead and release it.
-The indicator will come back on.
-Within 4 seconds turn the wheel back 45deg left and release it.
-The indicator will turn off.
-Within 4 seconds turn the wheel to straight ahead and release it.
-The indicator will blink twice 4 seconds later, and then three times 5 seconds later and the turn off.
-Turn off the ignition.
-Done.

If the indicator is just blinking over and over when you turn the ignition on, the steering wheel is not in the neutral position. You have to try and find it, and when the sequence starts, turn the wheel back to straight ahead within the first 4 second interval, and then continue with the sequence like the NP was straight ahead to begin with.

*****************<

Notice that the two procedures are slightly different. Going to try the second one listed above and see if it works. BRB

Last edited by X2BOARD; 12-20-2016 at 06:46 PM. Reason: corrected typo error
Old 12-19-2016, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have done the second procedure and everything was great, except I never get the 2 blinks and 3 blinks... it only blinks 2 times and stops. NOTE the second procedure is only slightly different in that it tells you to release the wheel when turning left.

The wandering wheel problem has not been solved with either of these methods and I have tried them multiple times. The search continues... maybe I'm still doing the procedure wrong ? But I haven't seen anyone actually confirm these procedures actually ever worked.

Last edited by X2BOARD; 12-20-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loved my red s2000 untill it started fading. Miss it from time to time.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

STill looking for a replacement torque sensor and it's tough cookies.

I decided to pull the plug on the current torque sensor so the car is 100% manual steering which sucks... feels like a truck at parking lot speeds. I hope it isn't putting too much stress on the upper steering components... but I'd rather not have a steering pull suddenly while at highway speeds.

Either way.... just had some back surgery so the S2k is sitting pretty under cover for a couple months... time to start ordering some maintenance parts.