Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Not your typical AP1 vs AP2 question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not your typical AP1 vs AP2 question

Looking into buying a S2000. I'm fairly set on a 2002 GPW/Red AP1 model but just to maybe sway me into an AP2 and pass the time while I find one, some questions if you please.

So AP1 vs AP2, what are the problems/quirks associated with each model? I know the basics, 2.0l vs 2.2l, AP1 =9000redline vs AP2=8000redline, AP1 = a little more tail happy but what have been the observed problem areas or quirks specific to each? Or maybe categorizing into AP1 vs AP2 is too general as I understand Honda was constantly updating the S2K...What quirks/problems during which model years?

I plan on doing some road trips with this so what about gas mileage? any significant (observed) change in gas mileage between the two models? road noise?

I do plan on modifying the car although it will be kept to a minimum. Only changes I plan to make are lighter driveshaft, lighter flywheel, front sway bar, maybe a drop-in K&N filter and perhaps a tuned ECU upgrade. anybody have any experience with these modifications that would care to report driving impressions? I'm especially interested in how, if, the front sway bar had any impact on the rear end not being so happy.

I think that's all for now. Thank you for reading and I hope to be a "true" member of the club someday. If you know anybody with a 2002 GPW/red S2000 for sale send them my way!

-Chee
Old 10-21-2009, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Not your typical AP1 vs AP2 question

...sorry but this is a typical ap1/ap2 question.

your only bet on a "lighter" driveshaft is the 4" aluminum from the driveshaft shop and its $850. no word on it being lighter.

why swaybar? do you know what they do? if you ask the following question then you dont... and that means dont waste your money.

the only thing you need to consider is glass rear window and f20/f22
Old 10-21-2009, 03:31 PM

I don't think the questions are so typical, the posts I've read typical read "Which ones better" whereas I'm asking for observed mechanical/electrical/whatever problem points. But then again it is what I think and right now I think you're coming off much of an @$$ but I could be wrong on that as well.

As for the sway bar comment, yes I know what one does. On my Evo it certainly made the front end more planted. During steady state cornering it didn't enter an AWD drift nearly as early with the rear end sliding out prior to the front end letting go. Makes the AWD drift not as "eerie" especially if you're used to a RWD slide. Now how it effects the S2000, I don't know, which is why I'm asking.

Thanks for the info on the driveshaft though. I take it the stocker is fairly light (or aftermarket peices just aren't strong enough)?
Old 10-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all of them are pretty awesome - avoid plastic windows and get one that you love the look of. Read heaps on here as there are answers to almost every possible question somewhere on here or s2ki
Whichever year you get, you'll love it.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There's always the big retainer debate between ap1 and ap2 models.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think that the newer ecu can be flashed. If i remember correctly, 06+ can be reflashed for cheaper. Glass windows are a huge plus if you DD the car.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

glass rear windows come on 02+.....
Old 10-22-2009, 05:09 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of those mods you listed are just a waste of money. The DS on the S is already aluminum and pretty light, no need to change it. (It's only like 1.5' long) No need to change the FW either as it will only slow you down since the RPM's will drop faster when you shift. It's not an easy task, changing the clutch/fw on these cars either.

Everything else you have asked has been covered many times.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Yeah IM from Jersey, big wup, wanna fight about, it, USA

sounds like u owned a VW before this...
Old 10-22-2009, 09:24 AM

Sorry, didn't mean for this to turn into a AP1 vs AP2 thread. I've read through the FAQ and know the OEM differences between the two models so this was more of trying to see if there were any ailments that a specific model suffered from. example: Evo 8 six-speed is typically deemed "weaker" than the 5-speed. Rather than trying to sort through hundreds of "problem" posts I figured it'd be more efficient to ask. From the sounds of it though there doesn't appear to be any problems specific to any particular model.

Thansk for the info on the planned mods. It sounds like Honda did an excellent job trying to keep the weight down. Less money for me to spend, LOL.