Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Megan Racing S2000??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megan Racing S2000??

Okay so i need the valued opinions of you guys on this one... I was thinking about doing a pretty extensive Megan Racing build on my s2k.. That would include coil overs, test pipe, drift spec exhaust, header (eventually), strut bar. Now i know Megan isn't J's racing or Amuse but the price is right for me and i think the build quality is reliable. I've heard good things about the exhaust, what do you all think?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Megan Racing S2000??

i just looked up videos of the exhaust and its not bad.i dont know if it would be too loud in person though.its cheap as hell too!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id research a little more before stopping on megan...you do get what you pay for and i almost made a mistake buying their coilovers...
Old 03-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just for show and street or track time?
Old 03-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had two freinds use the coilovers and they sucked. Buy buddy club
Old 03-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay thanks guys.. Def needing the first hand opinions such as the coilover thing. I liked the price, <$900, and ya the exhaust is <$400 but i'm still looking. And the mods are just for me, i doubt ill track it anytime soon, i'd rather hit the auto x s/ced turboed or bored out 2.2L. So the moding im gonna do is just to show off to friends and for my enjoyment. I like how the Drift Spec Megan single looked, and i could couple it with the Megan resonated test pipe.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:14 PM
bky
Honda-Tech Member

If you are just showing off for friends, ask them what impresses them. Buy that. :D
Old 03-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's clear to me from all your posts that you're not a jdm fanatic like the many other s2k owners. i'll warn you right now that the spring rates for the megan street and track are up there (12f&r or 12f 14r) so if you're the type of person who needs a soft ride, then pass on this megan route. on the other hand, if you're like me and actually like feeling every bump on the road then the megan coils sound good (the price of 815 on s2ki sounds great too)

but, i frequent the local road course so i'm not sure if you want to go that stiff. and if you are going to go with a lower end brand, then going with a megan theme actually sounds pretty interesting.

note: everything i said is opinion if you didn't notice.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i LOVE JDM, its just out of my price range and pretty much out of my moral range to spend THAT much dough on JDM products. I know they are much better, i just can't bring myself to that sort of price. I paid $11,000 for my car, with a full line up of good JDM parts i could match the car's value. My thought and questions is, bang for the buck.. I def like a stiff ride, im just curios as to quality, my Megan header on a Spec V seemed well built. P.S. that ebay intake is crap, its posted on craigslist now.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very true, who doesn't love jdm lol

well the only complaint about the megans i've personally read online is that they're too stiff. you may want to ask hondakyle for more detail since he said that his buddies have had it.

why don't you try a new filter on the intake first?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:09 PM
...still your worst nightmare squared

if you're trying to go cheap then sell that thing and buy a Civic. S2k = pricey parts. If you actually think Megan racing makes great quality parts that will withstand track abuse or even numerous Auto-Xing, than I have some beach front property in Alaska you can buy. Sunny all day and temp never exceeds 90 degrees. I will be awaiting your call
Old 03-11-2010, 06:05 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They make junk... Keep your car stock and enjoy it that way!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay okay, as much as i'd like to ignore your guys's opinions and live in denial about cheap parts i can't. I trust ya'll and i'll just start saving for better quality stuff..
Old 03-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

u get what u pay for. It is very hard to find quality products that r not over priced. Megan is not one of these compnies only good thing I have heard is their track coilovers are ok, dont know how long they will last but they r not bad.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Price isn't necessarily indictive of quality per se. For example; the private label header shows great gains and even better is only 500$. Just do some research. S2Ki is another good resource for aftermarket information
Old 03-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ Agree with this statement it is about what works not so much the price. Get what you want if you like it keep it if you don't get rid of it, there is no shortage of people looking for cheap used parts on S2KI now a days with younger and younger drivers of S2000 their budget is different. Pretty soon APC will be making stuff for the S2000 since they will have become cheap enough that highschool kids everywhere will be driving them.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess my point is this, don't assume a 69.99$ intake made by falken is bad, and the 1500$ ARC intake is good based purely on price, since it's actually the opposite. Unless you start really changing up air flow that thing gets heatsoak like nuts.

If you see a part your interested do some research, and of course ask questions like you are. A deadset giveaway to quality are highly available, oddly cheap companies. I.e. Megan, OBX, etc. While they have some diamonds in their rough, it's easy enough to just not look at their products.

You tend to get the best bang for your buck with some of the more, community based products especially ones based here in the U.S.. The reason I say that isn't a JDM vs USDM war or anything of the sort; however people who are developing products here know two things: A) Trustable japanese companies make stellar products, and B) There's the wicked JDM factor.

So the way for these smaller people to compete is a) Make a product that is similar, if not better in terms of quality of materials, quality of finished product, results and price. Once again just using this as an example; Private label header $500, amazing quality, great gains. Spoon header: $1,200+ with worse gains.

If I can give you a hint when your searching around for different mods and what not; read deep into the post. If it's 12 pages long, read every sing post on those 12 pages. You might be pleasantly surprised to find the name of a product that is much lesser known that is ++++. That is how I found the asura exhaust, I weeded through pages and pages and saw one person say 'Asura'. After see'ing the same names pop up everywhere it sparked my interest and what do ya know I've got one of the sexiest notes I've heard on a I-4 (Opinion).
Old 03-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ that exhaust is not cheap
Old 03-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My bank account is well aware :[[[[

I suppose I poorly transitioned into a different point, so I'll cliffnotes

A) Price isn't necessarily indictive of quality
B) If you're looking for a part don't skimp on doing lots of research because you might come across a nice find.

Also to bloodreds2k, I know you recently picked up a shabby intake. You might wanna take a look at this:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Yes they are really made by falken, yes they actually make some power, and they really are discontinued (thus the price tag). I linked u to the generic cause I'm not sure what MY your driving. The other nice part about that is it can be used as a CAI, or shorten it like stock and use a snorkel/plate type combo to simulate a CAI without the worry of hydrolocking. These are just some examples of what a little research does ;D
Old 03-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Falken looks dandy but being up here in Oregon its simply too wet to run a CAI and i'm not a fan of the hydrolock secondary filter. But thanks so much guys... Ive been searching all over the net.. I didn't realize how freakin many parts/producers there were.. Right now i see really nice parts by strong American companies. And i am seeing quality exhausts and coilovers within a few hundred dollars of that cheap crap. I am all for spending a few extra C notes for quality. I guess stuff like $1500 intakes and 3000 Fujitsubo exhausts scared me off the rightouse path of quality.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMF22B
Price isn't necessarily indictive of quality per se. For example; the private label header shows great gains and even better is only 500$. Just do some research. S2Ki is another good resource for aftermarket information
I was just trying to say that with most of the products out there for the S u gotta pay top dollar to get quality and result. This dosent mean u wont find some top dollar parts that are **** or reasonable priced parts that actually perform.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It wasn't directed towards you, more of a tip for the OP. I learned that a while ago
Old 03-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when you find something you want, just wait for the right price, eventually youll come across a crazy good deal. check the sponsor mrketplace on here for deals, s2ki for the same thing, inlinefour.com has decent prices on the higher end stuff, although they dont have alot for the s2k on there.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The Black Pearl
who doesn't love jdm
*raises hand*

Buying JDM stuff just for the sake of it being JDM is the definition of rice.
Originally Posted by JDMF22B
This. Megan Racing has some decent products and some junk. Do your research and you'll save a lot of money on parts that perform just as well as some hardparker JDM bullshit.

I have the drift spec exhaust btw. It wouldn't of been my first choice as it's a lot louder than I like my car but with a silencer in it's not too bad.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:22 PM

Megan Coil overs are not that great first hand on a del sol just doing dailey driving however i do have a megan exhaust on my car for en EG custom fit that is actually really nice so it really depends on what your looking for i guess , i went function and form coil overs type 2 i love them , couldnt ask for better but that is also opinion

Quick Reply: Megan Racing S2000??