Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Arco gas = bad for s2k

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arco gas = bad for s2k

ever since i've owned my s i've always pumped Chevron, Mobile, or 76. never anything else,

Yesterday i wasn't in my area i couldn't find anything besides arco's so i pump 10 dollars, just to get home. i turn it on, and the bars stayed the same at 1 bar, turned the ignition to the second click, still nothing.

I figured the pump wasn't working so i decied to pump 5 bucks at another pump at the same station, this time i made sure gas was going it by lifting it a bit. I took her home like that, in the 20 minutes that i got home the bars went up to normal slowly every 5 minutes a bar would come up, and the car felt a bit slower

Cliffnotes: dont pump at arco.

Has this happened to any you guys?
Old 07-31-2006, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pretty sure all gas comes from the same place other than Chevron
Old 07-31-2006, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Arco gas = bad for s2k (SilverDc2)

I watched 20/20 a couple weeks ago, and they said, all gas is processed at the same refineries....mobil = everything else.....I still dont buy cheap gas though
Old 07-31-2006, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Arco gas = bad for s2k (DragII)

i also think there are probably 2-3 companies that supple the world, but from the companies add the "fillers", dense it down.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, u never know those little no name places can do who knows what to the gas so they can sell it cheaper. i know for diesels you should always goto a name place for gas, like hess, mobil. my boss took his diesel truck to a no name place and the crap gas clogged his fuel filter. that was 300 buks
Old 07-31-2006, 02:00 PM

all gas are pretty much the same. I actually get better gas milage with arco , plus it's much cheaper than 76, chevron, shell....etc
Old 07-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

its true. the gas from a texaco station may not be straight from a texaco refinery. its because of logistics and infrastructure wouldnt allow that for every company to offer competitive prices at each market location. so they outsource their gas from other "competitor" refineries.

however, it doesnt mean its the same gas!

its made to the spec of the customer, at the cost of the customer.

so its not really the point that gas from "jack's corner gas and garage" is made at the same refinery as the Mobil station across the intersection. the gas you pay for at the Mobil station will probably be better and must have the advertised additives.

now whether your car and engine will benefit from the extra cost of Mobil gas, is up to you. when im told to pump 91 premium gas into my high compression engine that revs up to 9000 rpm, i pay extra for it. as for my crx, which could run on 86 octane if i could find it, i dont care so much. however, ive noticed loss in performance from "Thrifty" gas even in my d16a6 and wont go there again if i can help it.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Arco gas = bad for s2k (DragII)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DragII &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I watched 20/20 a couple weeks ago, and they said, all gas is processed at the same refineries....mobil = everything else.....I still dont buy cheap gas though </TD></TR></TABLE>

I saw that episode too. The only thing that wasn't mentioned was that some gasolines have certain additives/detergents which may help your engine stay cleaner (valves, etc). I meant to email them asking why they didn't mention that, but didn't have a chance to.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Arco gas = bad for s2k (Vitt1)

*** that guys. ARCO Blows. IMO i think its pretty much water because that **** burns too fast. My s2 has never seen a day of ARCO in its life.
Techron and V-Power FTW! lol
Old 08-01-2006, 02:32 AM

I've filled up with Shell V-Power 3 times at different locations on my S2000 and it made it ping at 2 out of 3 locations even with the slightest hint of boost while none of the other stations did.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (kane.s2k)

Chevron and chevron only.

I stop going to Mobile after seeing my friend's bike's carb. took a dump after a month of rebuild, the thing is choked to death by built up's.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would never put arco in a single car that i own, even my 95 accord that takes 87

i've heard far too many horror stories and seen multiple motors ping/knock from PROPER octane arco gas
Old 08-01-2006, 06:32 PM

Default Re: (MrBurner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MrBurner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would never put arco in a single car that i own, even my 95 accord that takes 87

i've heard far too many horror stories and seen multiple motors ping/knock from PROPER octane arco gas</TD></TR></TABLE>

i never heard a single horror story about arco gas. Im not going to be one of those people who pay high prices just for the brand name. It's like buying a pair of faded jeans from Kenneth Cole for $100 and up when i can get a normal pair of jeans for about $35.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:36 PM

Default Re: (Honda600RR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda600RR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i never heard a single horror story about arco gas. Im not going to be one of those people who pay high prices just for the brand name. It's like buying a pair of faded jeans from Kenneth Cole for $100 and up when i can get a normal pair of jeans for about $35.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and then those are the people that buy jenky *** **** like Rotas over volk, work, advan. etc.

I hate this industry. Egh.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:57 PM

Default Re: (OBSeRiouSo)

u get what u pay for...

well would u rather save 2 or 3 bucks each fill up?... question for you, burger king sells hamburgers, so does wendys. do u eat at bk to save 20 cents on a burger while getting the ***** from their grade f beef? both burgers were made from a cow...
Old 08-01-2006, 07:17 PM

Default Re: (mykcuz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mykcuz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u get what u pay for...

well would u rather save 2 or 3 bucks each fill up?... question for you, burger king sells hamburgers, so does wendys. do u eat at bk to save 20 cents on a burger while getting the ***** from their grade f beef? both burgers were made from a cow...</TD></TR></TABLE>

true, but i get arco gas because 1) its cheaper 2) it's more conveinent and 3) i get better gas milage from it. I prefer to get gas that is cheap and that has better gas milage, not for the brand name. As for the burger thing, i get whichever that taste better, although i don't like BK or Wendy's. Im not a fan of fast food, haven't been to a fast food joint since high school days.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I only pump Chevron or Shell. I've noticed 76 burns a little faster. Could be just me since all the gas in Hawaii come from the same refineries.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda600RR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">true, but i get arco gas because 1) its cheaper 2) it's more conveinent and 3) i get better gas milage from it. I prefer to get gas that is cheap and that has better gas milage, not for the brand name. As for the burger thing, i get whichever that taste better, although i don't like BK or Wendy's. Im not a fan of fast food, haven't been to a fast food joint since high school days.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its in reference to different quality products coming through similar processes that were once the same animal...

what car do u drive and what grade fuel do u use?

i used the super at a "cheap" local station and immediately lost power and milage, so maybe if nothing else, just paying more to the big name station will secure that the gas has not been diluted...which many stations consistantly get in trouble for.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Arco gas = bad for s2k (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I only pump Chevron or Shell. I've noticed 76 burns a little faster. Could be just me since all the gas in Hawaii come from the same refineries.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agree. Techron and V-Power FTW. Clean-Tech Blows. hahha
Old 08-02-2006, 12:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mykcuz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u get what u pay for...

well would u rather save 2 or 3 bucks each fill up?... question for you, burger king sells hamburgers, so does wendys. do u eat at bk to save 20 cents on a burger while getting the ***** from their grade f beef? both burgers were made from a cow...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Love the analogy
Old 08-02-2006, 12:49 PM

Default Re: (OBSeRiouSo)

I remembered when i used Arco for my Eg2 Del Sol. My B16 Dual Cam didn't even kick y0. lol

Im serious though.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mykcuz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what car do u drive and what grade fuel do u use?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i currently drive an 2005 SLK55 AMG as a daily driver. I use 92 unleaded since it requires premium. I use to get 76 then i switch to arco and got better gas milage(average of 15 miles more constantly)
Old 08-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (iam7head)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iam7head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Chevron and chevron only.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Except yesterday. I was stuck 30 miles from home at a place Ive never been. Only gas station I could find was 76 and I had 0 bars. So I filled up 1/4 tank there, gotta get me some Techron today.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda600RR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i currently drive an 2005 SLK55 AMG as a daily driver. I use 92 unleaded since it requires premium. I use to get 76 then i switch to arco and got better gas milage(average of 15 miles more constantly)</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ if thats your daily

wth is your weekend car? O.O

Quick Reply: Arco gas = bad for s2k