Notices
Honda Ruckus and Scooters Ruckus, Silverwing, Reflex, Helix, Metropolitan

Ruckus running rough/not starting.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ruckus running rough/not starting.

Hello everyone!

Have tried to get help over on TR, and no one is helping, maybesomeon here can give me some insight.

I picked up a 2007 ruck with 156 miles on it two weeks ago. It hasn't been run in 2-3 years, but it's brand freaking new.

So here is the issue, I can get it to run, sometimes, but it's very hard to get to idle, and run. I drove it for like 2 miles but it's very sluggish, hard to start, have to pay attention to get it to stay running etc. Anyone have any suggestions on what to check or try? Here is a list of what I have done:

So after all of this I can get it to run all the time if I spray ether into the engine, but it will really rev up and run weird. I know the battery is shot, and have a new one ordered, it came in yesterday but couldn't get it out of the post office box, so will replace that today. Can anyone think of anything else to try before I just start buying parts (carb) etc?

Thanks in advance!!
    Old 01-04-2012, 05:36 PM
    Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
    Default Re: Ruckus running rough/not starting.

looks like most of the things that i have done to my ruckus from being sat for a couple of years, before it sat, it did run fine. cleaning the carb and jets is the most likely bet, that is what i'm currently doing. but mine would not stay running unless i held the electric start button, otherwise it will die after letting off the button.

i've put a new fuel filter, new spark plug, cleaned the carb and jets, new air filter, and the fuel pump works (can hear it prime). also check your oil level also or even change that too.
    Old 01-05-2012, 02:15 PM
    Trial User

Gy6 swap
    Old 01-06-2012, 06:35 PM
    Honda-Tech Member

i just cleaned my jets and all around the carb and placed the carb all back together. i had to order more parts so i'm waiting for them to come into the mail before i can try to start the ruckus up. i'll let you know what i figure out once and if i get mine started when parts arrive.

also was told that if the ruckus is set for a while, its good to used a fuel stabilizer which will most likely prevent this from happening again.
    Old 01-08-2012, 04:13 PM
    Honda-Tech Member

i just completed putting my ruckus back together from clean my carb. it took me a little while to start it up since it sat for a couple years, but once i hassled with it a little bit with the electric start one the throttle it fired up after a couple minutes of cranking. i didnt use the help of any carb starter spray.

putting everything together, just make sure your air box is screwed on good with no air leaks or gaps, make sure the fuel pump is pumping fuel, coolant lines are connected, make sure the spark plug is not fouled out and because mine was i just went ahead and got a new one and gapped accordingly, and the fuel line to the carb is not obstructed in any way. after all that checked, the next day i started it up, the ruck fired up and stayed running great like i had it before.

goodluck and hope you get it started, this is what i did to troubleshoot my ruck so hopefully it will help you.
    Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 AM
    Trial User

what jet are you using? if you start tampering with your intake or exhaust then you must rejet the carb.
    Old 04-08-2012, 06:40 AM
    Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ej1beck
    Gy6 swap
    Horrible answer, it will never run then....
    Old 01-25-2014, 07:58 PM
    Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by flyingricepot
    what jet are you using? if you start tampering with your intake or exhaust then you must rejet the carb.
    i was using the stock jets at first with my stock air box. i just recently upgraded to the drain j-pipe (cut to fit) with attached k&n filter. then i swapped the jets for 85/38
    Old 02-11-2014, 06:22 PM
    Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a met that sat for many years but only had a few hundred miles. the bystarter (electric choke) wasn't heating up correctly. I even replaced it with a new one and still had issues. after taking the insides (needle spring etc) out of the bad one and using the body to plug the hole ( where it is usually attached) the scooter ran great. i never figured out why it wouldn't run with a perfectly good/brand new part from honda. but it worked with the hollowed out one..you can try that. dont know if it'll help
    Old 05-13-2014, 04:45 PM
    Trial User

I have a 2009 Ruckus and it is also running rough and bogging down. I am looking for a solution that works before I start taking things apart. I am not a very good mechanic, maybe a bit below average. I must be cautious