Honda Ruckus and Scooters Ruckus, Silverwing, Reflex, Helix, Metropolitan

Lock ideas for a Ruckus?

Old 12-16-2017, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Lock ideas for a Ruckus?

I just picked up a brand new Ruckus. I investigated some of the kryptonite chains but many come with the disk brake option, not useful for Ruckus.

We also plan to get full replacement insurance but I would like to lock it up as well, preferably a chain so we can lock it to something immobile while we are out & about.

When home it will be in garage.

Any ideas appreciated, I did some forum searches and couldn’t find anything.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lock ideas for a Ruckus?

I ran into this issue when I first purchased my Ruckus as well as I'm in an urban environment and was pretty concerned about theft. I ended up doing quite a bit of research on it, here's my two cents:

First and foremost no chain is cut proof nor is any lock un-pickable. With that being said what you're really shooting for is really deterrence. Consider where you'll be parking it a majority of the time, and any place you consider to travel to. Ideally, at any location you'd have a secure anchor point. Any such place that'll allow you to securely loop a chain through or around will work.

When I have it parked outside I usually use a 5' Schlage 999478 security chain. I initially purchased the 3' version (999461) as it's shorter and lighter but often found it to be just a few inches too short. In a pinch I'll occasionally simply wrap the chain through my rear tire to stop it from being pushed around but that's really not a great idea. (Two people can easily throw it right in the back of a truck if you've "locked" it up this way. A stock Ruckus weights less than 200lbs.) In terms of chain, look for a security chain rather than your typical transport or chinesium chain as the security chains are comprised of a much harder alloy which makes most cutting attempts much more challenging.

In general I prefer "cinch" type chains as you get a lot more usable length out of them. I've drilled a 2 inch hole in my rear plastic and installed a epdm grommet to keep it looking clean. This provides me with a great place to pass the chain through and locks up the frame securely. I'd say this is your best anchor point on the scoot as it's the most expensive portion of the vehicle. Sending the chain through the holes in your rear wheel is a decent secondary option as that rear nut isn't too easy to remove quickly. Even 1/2" chain will pass through the rear wheel. Avoid using your seat frame or front wheel to secure it. Both of those assemblies are pretty easy to remove quite quickly.

As far as locks go there's a million options to choose from. I'm not really that well versed on them so I don't think I'm the best resource. I'd simply look for a lock with a shielded and hardened shackle and some common security features implemented within the core. Here's a great article on the subject. Take a look at #4 on page 4 where it discusses different pins and their effects on pick attempts if you want greater detail. As I previously stated, much of your aim should be focused towards deterrence. Try to make it as challenging for a potential theft as possible and hopefully they'll simply avoid the hassle.

I've heard multiple people speak to the effectiveness of the stock steering column lock so I always lock that as well. I also often use a scooter cover when I have it parked outside for extended periods of time, another effective/low-cost deterrent.

Consider your chain/lock options depending on how/where you plan to travel to. While it's in your garage I'd at least throw a ~$10 cover on it and lock the steering column if you're not worried about anyone getting into the garage.