Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Ruckus and Scooters (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-ruckus-scooters-126/)
-   -   JDM Rukus? Do people import these? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-ruckus-scooters-126/jdm-rukus-do-people-import-these-2983909/)

RuskeR 09-28-2011 02:56 AM

JDM Rukus? Do people import these?

I'm in Japan this week and happen to meet with a friend of mine. They export everything from cars to construction equipment. I notice they also export tons of scooters like the Rukus, and a few street bikes. I've always wanted a Rukus, but I honestly don't know a lot about them other than they look cool and it would be fun to have around town.

Can you import these, and register them to make them street legal? I know this is impossible with cars, but I can't imagine what would keep them from allowing you to do this aside from EPA rules/regs.

Anyone have any good information about this?

Thanks

grumblemarc 09-28-2011 07:58 AM

Re: JDM Rukus? Do people import these?

What's different from a USDM Ruckus and a JDM Ruckus that you would need to import one? Is it worth all the hassle for an item that you can pick up relatively cheap here in teh states?

RuskeR 09-28-2011 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by grumblemarc (Post 46093662)
What's different from a USDM Ruckus and a JDM Ruckus that you would need to import one? Is it worth all the hassle for an item that you can pick up relatively cheap here in teh states?

Mainly because I already have stuff coming in from Japan in containers. Adding a few small bikes like this wouldn't be a problem. I haven't really compared the price for a used rukus in the us compared to Japan, but much of the used stuff here seems to go for a fraction of what it costs in the states. But from what I know, you're right, they should be the same.

Would I be able to get plates for a "JDM" Rukus? Or does it somehow not meet DOT standards?

grumblemarc 09-28-2011 08:17 AM

I can't answer your question but I'd import them any way. If you can't get them in whole you could always part them out if you were so inclined.

creationz 09-28-2011 08:23 AM

if you can get it at a fraction of the cost of a USDM model...i wouldnt mind buying one from you LOL

cdaiscool 09-28-2011 08:27 AM

Market it as a JDM Ruckus, and the JDM kiddies will be all over your for sale ads that you'll go back for more.

Or the Mayans were right, and the ship's going to blow up with the rest of Earth. I only see 2 potential endings. :D

m_shake 09-28-2011 12:57 PM

JDM zoomer has pgm-fi and a 4 valve head

RuskeR 09-28-2011 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by m_shake (Post 46095465)
JDM zoomer has pgm-fi and a 4 valve head

So maybe the problem would be that the JDM engine cannot pass EPA regs. Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of time to research this since I got the idea yesterday. I've always wanted a Rukus, but no one in my area sells them used.

What do they normally go for? Maybe the best idea is to part them out?

RuskeR 09-28-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by grumblemarc (Post 46093760)
I can't answer your question but I'd import them any way. If you can't get them in whole you could always part them out if you were so inclined.

This may be the best option.

m_shake 09-29-2011 07:28 AM

I'd just buy new, they're like $2,200, put down like $500 bucks and have tiny monthly payments.

zeroarmy04 10-16-2011 07:29 AM

I'd sure like to have the 4 valve head and pgm-fi for my Ruck.

BERT-O 10-16-2011 09:35 AM

Can he import motorcylces?

RuskeR 10-16-2011 11:41 AM

Haven't gotten a straight answer from anyone. I'm going to be speaking with customs this week about a front clip I'm importing, and I plan to ask them about scooters/motorcycles.

RuskeR 10-16-2011 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by zeroarmy04 (Post 46189550)
I'd sure like to have the 4 valve head and pgm-fi for my Ruck.

What do they normally go for? Maybe the bikes are worth more in parts?

JVGSR 10-17-2011 02:11 AM

If the price is right you should import them then

EF Boy1231 10-26-2011 01:28 PM

Parts for a ruckus are all so small that they can be shipped fairly easily. The headlights, controls, stickers (zoomer) and such are different. I know that certain euro models have pgfi and im sure the japanese zoomers do as well. It would prob be hard to register one of them as vin numbers are different in japan as well as titles.

STR8 H8N 10-27-2011 04:12 AM

thers 2 fo sale on totalruckus

vinem1 11-07-2011 05:54 PM

Avoid headaches just buy one in the USA