B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Honda Aero 50 resto thread.

looks good
Old 05-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good work so far man!! I just picked up an Aero like three days ago for 50 bucks and I was wondering if anybody out there was restoring them. Now I'm debating on either a restoration, or fabbing up a new frame and stretching it like a Ruckus.

Name:  IMG_5315_zps3bb155fa.jpg
Views: 4533
Size:  160.8 KB
Only 3000 original miles, little wear and tear from how it was stored but runs like a champ. You've inspired me to do somethin with it. Don't know what yet haha.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USDM as fuhh
Good work so far man!! I just picked up an Aero like three days ago for 50 bucks and I was wondering if anybody out there was restoring them. Now I'm debating on either a restoration, or fabbing up a new frame and stretching it like a Ruckus.

Only 3000 original miles, little wear and tear from how it was stored but runs like a champ. You've inspired me to do somethin with it. Don't know what yet haha.
Cool man what it is WORTH is always going to be up to the owner (you) I recently got another scooter that was more exciting then the aero in my opinion. (and better shape) it shares a lot of similar aspects but looks a little different. I dont know if/when I am going to finish mine. Had a guy recently offer to buy my aero ( assuming I finish it and put the 125 motor in it!) as far as stretching is concerned the thing to keep in mind is, you can weld a longer mount and move the engine back, but then the throttle and brake cable, fuel/oil lines (and the wiring) is all going to need to be adjusted/extended accordingly.
you can check out hondaspree.net for much more info on what you can do to the aero 50 and plenty of other peoples aero (and related model) builds i think it's a great scooter with way more potential then a (much more expensive) Ruckus and that cool vintage 80's look!
Old 05-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah there's a pretty big scooter community up here and the scooterswapshop is based out of Washington, so I have pretty good access to parts for scooter mods. Love the blue on yours, tried making the red shine a little more with some armor-all but years of the bike sitting in the pits at a drag strip in Sacramento made it fade pretty bad. (Was only used as a pit bike for a race team down there)
Old 08-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by USDM as fuhh

Do it!

I just picked up an express sr for my wife, and I'm now in the process of finding something for myself. It's a nice break from constantly working on cars.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by da9licious
Cool man what it is WORTH is always going to be up to the owner (you) I recently got another scooter that was more exciting then the aero in my opinion. (and better shape) it shares a lot of similar aspects but looks a little different. I dont know if/when I am going to finish mine. Had a guy recently offer to buy my aero ( assuming I finish it and put the 125 motor in it!) as far as stretching is concerned the thing to keep in mind is, you can weld a longer mount and move the engine back, but then the throttle and brake cable, fuel/oil lines (and the wiring) is all going to need to be adjusted/extended accordingly.
you can check out hondaspree.net for much more info on what you can do to the aero 50 and plenty of other peoples aero (and related model) builds i think it's a great scooter with way more potential then a (much more expensive) Ruckus and that cool vintage 80's look!
OP your Aero is looking great!

What other scooter did you buy?
Old 08-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Slap an elite s motor on your aero 50. 72cc polini is da way to go. I had one on my aero 50 with a lot of mods top speed was 80 mph.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haven't posted here in a while. The AERO hasnt done much but moved around the garage a few times. I am still going to do the 125 swap but until i make the engine mount It's on hold.

@RuskeR

After I bought the Aero I picked up a Honda Metropolitan, but decided it was too slow (four stroke) and gave it to the wife. (If I didn't mention it that is also where I got the Elite 125 motor from.)

Then I would say maybe 3-4 months ago I picked up a Extremely rare ( In the United States) Honda DJ-1 RR Titled, Tagged and everything. It is a Japanese bike so even the Gauge is in KMPH. To keep this post reasonable (short) basically I stripped it down to it's frame, every single bolt, wire, fairing, etc, was removed, cleaned and re-assembled. to OEM specification. If something was dirty (most if it was) I cleaned it. If it was out of spec/worn I replaced it ( had to order quite a few things from japan) what I have now is a mechanically sound scooter that I would be surprised to even see another one of. It needs paint some new decals ( That I am going to make myself!) but here is basically what it looks like.

Name:  DJ-1fwd_zps01facb0a.jpg
Views: 4134
Size:  29.9 KB

Name:  dj1panels_zps42ccf04b.jpg
Views: 4721
Size:  44.6 KB

@HOMEMADEPOWER

The RR (pictured above) will probably get the polini kit mentioned with the big carb and all the other goodies. I doubt I will be able to get it up to 80, because I'm 250lbs, but it's already does an easy 40mph so it's great for hitting up the liquor store.

A few days ago My good friend called me with an offer. He ownes a local scooter repair shop and came across some Hondas i might be interested in. Because he is mainly a European bike guy he didn't have much use for them he asked if i wanted them after visiting him and viewing the scooters. we settled on a price of $25 delivered to my house tomorrow morning... I'll be sure to post pictures for anyone interested. but they are both honda Elite 50cc's and both in fairly rough shape. Still... cant beat the price!

Also if you happened to totally miss it in the previous pictures, other then the 5 scooters mentioned I also daily (as long as it doesn't rain) a fairly customized Honda Reflex 250. If you havent seen it here it is.. still needs to be stretched and lowered in my opinion but it's a blast to ride, will do 80mph (as long as I'm not going up a hill) and I've ridden it over 300 miles in a day. cant beat that for 60-70MPG!

Name:  r3flxWrdr_zpsce56ca6f.jpg
Views: 3974
Size:  44.6 KB
Old 08-16-2013, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here are the two scooters that were delivered to my house today for $25

Name:  DSC_0022_zps40b9ea68.jpg
Views: 3873
Size:  47.7 KB

I'll post more pictures of the progress if interested.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man you ar all about scooters ha.

I have had a few Metropolitans and yes, they are sloooowww. You can mess with the governor and do some little things to get them to 37ish mph but that's it ha.

I have had a few Honda NC50 Express. The last one i had was a one owner in almost perfect condition and I feel super stupid for selling it.

I have also had a bunch of mopeds, mainly Tomos and now I'm working on this:
Name:  63bfa9ea-231e-4035-b29f-2c91202ecfbe_zpsfb0e3fb8.jpg
Views: 3820
Size:  79.0 KB

It is a 1954 Black Knight frame that I found for $20 and did all the repairs to and restored it to what it looks now. The engine is a 66cc chinese 2 stroke that should net me about 36mph and 140mpg. Just gotta figure out the crank and now working on a sidecar
Old 11-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^

haha yeah man I dont know why a 6'4" 250 lb dude would like scooters so much but you can't really help what you like! bicycle looks pretty rad. but i dont know if i would enjoy a moped.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:51 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by joey1320

It is a 1954 Black Knight frame that I found for $20 and did all the repairs to and restored it to what it looks now. The engine is a 66cc chinese 2 stroke that should net me about 36mph and 140mpg. Just gotta figure out the crank and now working on a sidecar
My bro has one of these. We took an old AMF bike and slapped on an '80cc' kit. It's a blast to ride, except that every time we ride it something breaks lol.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice work
Old 02-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haven't posted here in a while. The AERO hasnt done much but moved around the garage a few times. I am still going to do the 125 swap but until i make the engine mount It's on hold.

@RuskeR

After I bought the Aero I picked up a Honda Metropolitan, but decided it was too slow (four stroke) and gave it to the wife. (If I didn't mention it that is also where I got the Elite 125 motor from.)

Then I would say maybe 3-4 months ago I picked up a Extremely rare ( In the United States) Honda DJ-1 RR Titled, Tagged and everything. It is a Japanese bike so even the Gauge is in KMPH. To keep this post reasonable (short) basically I stripped it down to it's frame, every single bolt, wire, fairing, etc, was removed, cleaned and re-assembled. to OEM specification. If something was dirty (most if it was) I cleaned it. If it was out of spec/worn I replaced it ( had to order quite a few things from japan) what I have now is a mechanically sound scooter that I would be surprised to even see another one of. It needs paint some new decals ( That I am going to make myself!) but here is basically what it looks like.

@HOMEMADEPOWER

The RR (pictured above) will probably get the polini kit mentioned with the big carb and all the other goodies. I doubt I will be able to get it up to 80, because I'm 250lbs, but it's already does an easy 40mph so it's great for hitting up the liquor store.

A few days ago My good friend called me with an offer. He ownes a local scooter repair shop and came across some Hondas i might be interested in. Because he is mainly a European bike guy he didn't have much use for them he asked if i wanted them after visiting him and viewing the scooters. we settled on a price of $25 delivered to my house tomorrow morning... I'll be sure to post pictures for anyone interested. but they are both honda Elite 50cc's and both in fairly rough shape. Still... cant beat the price!

Also if you happened to totally miss it in the previous pictures, other then the 5 scooters mentioned I also daily (as long as it doesn't rain) a fairly customized Honda Reflex 250. If you havent seen it here it is.. still needs to be stretched and lowered in my opinion but it's a blast to ride, will do 80mph (as long as I'm not going up a hill) and I've ridden it over 300 miles in a day. cant beat that for 60-70MPG!

Da RR is fresh as hell brah I hardly see them in HI. Even the 2 elites is nice too. You would love HI bc there are ALOT of modified mopeds there and shops with lots of aftermarket parts for all types mopeds.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:55 PM
Trial User

where did you buy your honda DJ-1 twin bulb headlight. please give me the website of the store in japan. thanks!
Old 06-23-2021, 01:25 PM
Trial User

Hi, Would you be able to share the file? I want to create them myself. I live in Canada and not many examples of Aero 50's I can use to create a template. Thanks
Old 02-19-2022, 07:12 PM
Trial User

me too!

i've been working on that **** harness. each day gets me a bit closer to getting this guy started ( i cant WAIT to ride it!) i've recently purchased some spraypaint for the frame... it's fairly close to the OEM paint but still a bit light.. it wont matter when the plastics are installed anyway...

Attachment 444258

I also have finished the layout for reproduction front sticker (the colors are not finalized yet)

Attachment 444259

i still have to match them to my pantone swatches but they are almost there ( the "e" is slightly different but the other letters are practically spot on! the black line around the thing is the cut path, and the yellowish white square is the actual picture i took previously)

i also ordered a new belt and rollers yesterday.., this weekend i hope to get the wheels powder-coated and the tires ordered
Could you share this file I have a 86 I'm trying to make decals for
Old 01-16-2023, 06:30 AM
Trial User

day 2

Attachment 444419

quite a bit of dirt on the inside of the wheel
my inner box leg shield is broken near the turn signal. Was it hard to remove? Do you know where to get a blue replacement 1986. Thx

Attachment 444421

this is the ONLY plastic piece on the bike that isnt broken HAHA

Attachment 444422

front cover off, this is about all i can to other then the front wheel with the tools i have.

Attachment 444423

wheel has rust inside i wonder how often the tires were changed in this bike's life

Attachment 444424

i wish i would have taken before pictures, one of these brake handles was bent but i used a hammer to straighten it

Attachment 444425

Attachment 444426

Attachment 444427

end of the day i cleaned up and lay'd everything out "exploded view diagram" style (kindof)

next i need to decide what i'm going to have powdercoated and what i need to order to get this thing back on the road