Notices
Honda Ruckus and Scooters Ruckus, Silverwing, Reflex, Helix, Metropolitan

because a ruckus is too small...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default because a ruckus is too small...

I bought a honda reflex "nss250"

They are way more popular in japan so all the cool parts like extended swing-arms and body kits are a bit harder to get here. I am 6'4", 225 lbs and I wanted something I could take on the interstate (and still get 70mpg) and use for work, or short trips around town. As opposed to a ruckus I don't think I look too funny on it

A few days after I bought it, the bike started dying while driving it, long story short the previous "mechanic" decided instead of replacing the fuel filter with an OEM one, that he would just cut the fuel line and put another one before the carb. The gas tank was full of rust, I used the old penny, solvent, and shake the tank trick to get it all out. cleaned the fuel lines, replaced the fuel filter with the correct one, and cleaned the carb for good measure.

I also ordered (and installed) a K&N air filter for the bike to give it a bit more power. I've put about 500 miles on the bike so far and think it was well worth what I paid for it. After the air filter change i've had the bike up to 80 mph. I think that is about all it will do with my heavy self on it. I look forward to doing some modifications to it once I get my friends in Japan to hook me up. (or go there myself)

I guess this could be my build thread whenever parts come around.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: because a ruckus is too small...

more power to you my man. nice pickup. i think it's a nice bike.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

real nice scoot, guy down the street from me has one and i envy it. Im runnin the 50cc to move my 6,1 height self around
Old 07-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not to familiar with the newer stuff and larger displacement scooters but i know on the elite 50's and 80's you can change clutches and also modify the speed variator on the crack to get more MPH out of the bike. Not sure if this pertains to these larger units but worth researching. i was able to get another 10mph out of my old 50's with speed variator mods IE removing the stopper cage which just allows the belt to go up higher on the pulley and essentially lengthens the gears
Old 07-15-2012, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought the Reflex's were fuel injected?

You look kind of nerdy with the crotch rocket gear riding a scooter.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Im not to familiar with the newer stuff and larger displacement scooters but i know on the elite 50's and 80's you can change clutches and also modify the speed variator on the crack to get more MPH out of the bike. Not sure if this pertains to these larger units but worth researching. i was able to get another 10mph out of my old 50's with speed variator mods IE removing the stopper cage which just allows the belt to go up higher on the pulley and essentially lengthens the gears
I dont think you can really modify the 4 stroke 80's. I could be wrong though. I've owned two and there never was much of an aftermarket for them.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The_Head
I thought the Reflex's were fuel injected?

You look kind of nerdy with the crotch rocket gear riding a scooter.
no they are carbureted. I wouldn't have said I cleaned if there wasn't one
http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Man...ice_Manual.pdf

I prefer to wear shorts and a T-shirt but I live on a military base, and because of all the dumb asses that have killed themselves on motorcycles (and ruined it for the rest of us) I have to wear protective gear when I ride ( at least until I get off the base then I usually take off all the extra crap and stuff it under the seat)

Last edited by da9licious; 07-19-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here are pictures of the changes i've made so far...

first a picture of a stock one (not mine) to show the original handlebar height

and mine...

I removed the front windshield, changed out the handlebars (got them at a local bike shop) painted the lower fairing with the truck bed-liner (spray on) and removed the rear mud flap/fender

here is a shot from the front ( you can see the carbon fiber vinyl installed they were just some scraps from work)

and another comparison with a better view of the bars

I ordered an exhaust for it and lowering springs/ mounts.. more when i find out more...

I also think I'm going to get a short windshield for it...
Old 07-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by da9licious
no they are carbureted. I wouldn't have said I cleaned if there wasn't one
http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Man...ice_Manual.pdf

I prefer to wear shorts and a T-shirt but I live on a military base, and because of all the dumb asses that have killed themselves on motorcycles (and ruined it for the rest of us) I have to wear protective gear when I ride ( at least until I get off the base then I usually take off all the extra crap and stuff it under the seat)

Were the early versions carbed, and then the switched? I was always under the impression they had fuel injection.

I was once in the military too, and I know what you mean.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The_Head
Were the early versions carbed, and then the switched? I was always under the impression they had fuel injection.

I was once in the military too, and I know what you mean.
They only made them from 2001-2008 the only difference in options was the sport model that had a smaller windshield, chrome handlebars, (instead of the black/w plastic cover that normally comes on them) and abs.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I received a nice little surprise today

more pictures tomorrow after a scooter rally
Old 07-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wear ur gear trust me you dont want to fall on cement at any mph
i have the road rash to prove it lol.
i think i went down at 80. my brains would be on the cement if i didnt have a helmet lol
Old 07-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by v8killaz
wear ur gear trust me you dont want to fall on cement at any mph
i have the road rash to prove it lol.
i think i went down at 80. my brains would be on the cement if i didnt have a helmet lol
I always wear a full face helmet, gloves and shoes that cover my ankles when I ride. You dont even have to wear a helmet in this state! I'm usually pretty conservative with my riding, however I had the back end slide out from behind me TWICE today. ( sand ) I've only laid a motorcycle down once (my old ninja) thankfully I always wore full gear on that thing.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so I got my exhaust installed LOVE it! I work as a graphic designer, and we do vehicle wraps.. we had about a 6 foot roll of an orange that we didnt need for a customer that was getting his vehicle done and so I decided to take the scrap orange and some scrap carbon fiber and wrap my scooter with it.. I think it looks ok... but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it.. anyway here it is front & back next to my 8th gen civic. from the front I'd say it looks pretty similar to a sport bike.

I also bought some lowering brackets that attach to the rear lower suspension, you can kind-of see them in the back picture

here is a short video clip of the exhaust for those interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhAB3...ature=youtu.be

if you are impatient skip to 00:55 after I drive off because I go down the street to turn around.

anyway that is it for now.. I'm about to order a few more things to add so look foreword to more from me!
Old 08-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just ordered a wirus win (japanese brand) intake (replaces the oem air filter box and is tunable by allowing more or less air) some front lowering springs ( because the ones I previously ordered were for the wrong model scoot ) a set of lightened roller weights (for a better 0-60 times I got 6X15 grams which will be 90 grams total as compared to the oem which I believe around 150 something) a light throttle valve spring and a set of carburetor jets ( for easier acceleration and a tunable carb once I get everything installed.) after those parts the only thing I can do to add more power is a better cam, a big bore kit, or nitrous (all of which I probably wont do until after my bike is stretched!) seems like the hardest thing to get for this bike in the USA is a styling kit ( body kit) look foreword to an update in around 10 (going by the previous shipping time) days or so!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Today I finished wrapping the rest of the front that was red, (minus the back of the fender and the inside but I think i'm going to paint that...) I made some plastic covers to cover the holes (that were broken when I got the scoot) for the front turn signals ( I made them out of some honda mudflaps I took off of my civic) and I made some wooden floor plates. I think they came out pretty good!

Old 08-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is the coolest non-ruckus scooter I've every seen.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Trial User

i love the front.. looks sportbike like! Nice work!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^thanks guys

today's post is going to be a bit of a how-to as well as what I did today

these are today's new parts/tools

assuming you know a guy that has a universal holder (or you can make one yourself) this is a FREE modification often called a "K-mod" here is the part number for the tool...

here is the step by step...

first remove the floorboard

then the side fairing

this is the area that you need access to

remove the variator fan vent/filter (there is a little $2 filter inside i replaced it because it was cheap, and mine was missing)

then remove the back crankcase protective cover ( i like how it looks almost the same without it)

here is what is underneath the cover

we will be working with the front portion ( the variator sp? the back side is the clutch) to remove the variator fan you can use a impact wrench but i have ocd so i wanted to do it by hand (you can also see i broke part of it by trying to do it without the proper tool!)

the tool goes in the holes like so...

i actually used a ratchet w/extension like so, so i didnt have to hold it

once you take the nut/washer off you remove the fan pulley

then the variator

inside you have a cover with slides

and weights

all you have to do is take the black ones out

you may also notice in the picture above that the black ones' spots are indicated by a "BL" near the outside edge

put everything back together, leaving out the black weights of course

and instillation is reverse order from removal

NOTE: the torque for the variator pulley is 69 ft lbs as indicated by the Honda service manual (there is a link to it in the first post)

after about 60 miles here are the differences i noticed

0-20mph is slightly faster

20-50mph is a large improvement

60-70mph is slightly slower

my best guess is 0-60 is around 4-5 seconds faster

the bike looses approx 4 mph on the top end ( for my bike, the previous top speed was 83 mph tonight i reached 79 mph)

for a FREE modification you can't loose!

i will update with mpg changes later if there is anything worth noting. i will also be playing with some different weight options later when my shipment from japan comes in but currently it is not going to leave until the 15th of this month (Aug)
Old 08-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so good news, my package that wasn't supposed to leave japan until tomorrow is already in state! I should be receiving it tomorrow. (hopefully) so tonight I'm gonna tear all the plastics off and get the carb ready for the re-jetting, intake off for re-placing etc etc i dont know how much power difference i'll be looking at but the butt dyno isnt all the accurate anyway! only bummer is it's supposed to rain the next few days, BUT the weekend looks great and the locals are having a scooter rally this Sunday so i'll get to test it out thoroughly. i may pull my plug and see how the air fuel ratio looks after adding the exhaust, so far i've filled up 6 times and the gas milage hasnt been effected at all by the addition of the muffler or the changing (removal) of the roller weights. the box i ordered also has 6x15 gram weights so i'll try that in comparison to the k-mod to see which one i prefer.. more to come soon!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Trial User

Awesome bike. The wood floor is so sweet!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:59 PM

Very nice!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ thanks for the love guys/gals

the bike is all prep'd for the parts to arrive

Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Trial User

Looks like a rear tire is needed in your future.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by beis42
Looks like a rear tire is needed in your future.
oh it's needed NOW haha.. it's the next purchase for sure.

did a lot of work on the scooter today but i need to find my battery charger to take some decent pictures of the finished product.

here are a few of the intake from my phone

EDIT:

forgot to mention that i tried running the variator with 6x15gram weights and it SUCKED! the bike would climb to 6000rpms in a hurry (probably by about 30 mph) then stay there all through first and second, then at around 50 mph the rpms would climb from 6000-9000rpms but would only get the scoot to 60-65mph. so i went back to the k-mod. i MAY try putting 3 of the 15g weights in the empty spots where the heavier OEM black weights used to be to see if that is an improvement but so far the k-mod is still the best.

as far as the carb i re-jetted from 102 to 125 on the main.. without an air/fuel i'm not sure where that puts me. the bike feels fine as far as i can tell but i may check the spark plug tomorrow to see if i can tell from the condition of it. otherwise the mpg seems to be close to the same as before even with the air intake and larger main jet.

Last edited by da9licious; 08-15-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: because a ruckus is too small...