Notices
Honda Ruckus and Scooters Ruckus, Silverwing, Reflex, Helix, Metropolitan

50 cubic centimeters of beast.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50 cubic centimeters of beast.

Alright, so maybe the title is a bit overboard.

I was out today when I saw parked in front of a cell phone shop a 1986 Honda Super Cub. If you aren't familiar with this bike, just youtube or wiki it. It's the best selling bike in the world (over 60 million sold). They discontinued shipping it to the U.S. back in the early 80s but everywhere else in the world they're all over- might have something to do with the 400mpg rating.

Anyway I stop to check it out and the owner noticed me looking at it. I asked if he'd sell it and he asked me for 300 bucks. I would've said yes either way, but I managed to work him down to 250.

It's in AMAZING condition and runs like a champ and a half. I've got some plans for it and i'll definitely keep everyone posted once I start. I'd like to enjoy it as is at the moment though.
Attached Images     
Old 04-27-2010, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 50 cubic centimeters of beast.

So I picked up some hand tools today and decided to take out the motor. I haven't decided on a motor/tranny to drop in there yet. Gonna do some searching this weekend for an extended swingarm, new front forks, and parts for a disc brake conversion.
Attached Images     
Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lookin' good, man. I love the classics!

keep us updated!!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I went out today to look for an extended swing arm. I don't have the dough for an expensive one nor do I have the knowhow to fabricate one. I came across a swing arm from the Honda "wave" which is a newer scooter produced by Honda. Placing the swing arm off of this bike onto mine would allow for a 2-3 inch extension.

When i got home I removed the rear seat, suspension, wheel, and swing arm. I wasn't sure if the swing arm would fit, but luckily it bolted onto the frame perfectly. When it came to putting the wheel back on I realized the new arm flares out about an inch or so more than the stock arm, leaving a gap and a lot of wobble.

After taking a closer look I think I've found the solution to the problem- a small piece from the hub of the honda "wave". I'll try to find the mystery piece tomorrow as well stripping the rest of the bike to prepare it for bodywork.

Looks a bit weird at the moment, with the rear wheel so close to the fender, but I've got plans to cut off a portion of the fender for a different look and more clearance. Take note that there aren't any shocks on it yet so the wheel is just sagging down. Yeah. Saggy.
Attached Images      

Last edited by rasinhell; 05-01-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so I went out to honda for parts thinking I bought the piece I was looking for and either they gave me the wrong thing or I wrote down the wrong part number when looking at the book. They did give me one part that I knew I needed which was an axle from the wave, which is just an 1/2inch-1inch longer than the one from the cub. The name of the other piece I'm looking for is called the inner axle distance collar, which I am sure is longer. The parts were cheap but I am just wondering if I should stop with this frankestein wheel that i'm building w/ no knowledge whatsoever of whether it will work or if I should just go and buy the entire wheel off a wave. Probably will.
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2010, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

super cool man
Old 06-22-2010, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Makes me want to add a resto-mod Honda Supercub to my collection of projects. Can't wait to see where you take it.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:37 AM

looks good so far, 300 bucks thats a steal