Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude? - Page 2 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 AM
  #26  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Jacksonville Beach, Florida, United States
Posts: 1,559
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

Originally Posted by xmod_supra View Post
^^^^ Ok??? I didnt say it pulls hard or walks people. I just said that the best voted honda has an f20b in. So it must be a good motor. Dont get all ahead of yourself.
Just because ONE person who was already well known for the builds he did used it automatically makes it good? You do understand its just an H head on a 2L F block right? Also what was mentioned about the torque, it's not that the rated difference is much different its the fact that the F20b has to rev higher to get to that smaller amount of torque.

It was just an engine made to comply with Japan's sub 2L taxation on cars.
minilogoguy18 is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 10:22 AM
  #27  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 1,204
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

Originally Posted by 92civlude View Post
Why did honda make the F20b in the first place?
Originally Posted by minilogoguy18 View Post

It was just an engine made to comply with Japan's sub 2L taxation on cars.
Thanks for clarifying that.
92civlude is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 AM
  #28  
formerly xmod_supra
 
codyh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charleston
Posts: 1,492
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

Originally Posted by minilogoguy18 View Post
Just because ONE person who was already well known for the builds he did used it automatically makes it good? You do understand its just an H head on a 2L F block right? Also what was mentioned about the torque, it's not that the rated difference is much different its the fact that the F20b has to rev higher to get to that smaller amount of torque.

It was just an engine made to comply with Japan's sub 2L taxation on cars.
JUST because everybody and their mothers have a h22, that makes it good? And ya thats what Im saying. His build is of teh highest quality. Why would he put a **** motor in?
codyh is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 01:47 PM
  #29  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

Originally Posted by 92civlude View Post
11. Yes. But across what range in the powerband? I did the swap. The customers H22 started knocking, he chose the F20b. I installed it. Compared to the old tired H22, the F20b just didnt pull as hard as the H22. Small valves, TB and displacement really takes its toll in the heavier Hondas.
Why did honda make the F20b in the first place? Wasnt it to increase sub 2 liter production to avoid paying higher taxes? Or something like that.
the f20b was made so that honda could compete in the 2.0ltr class races, so they destroked an h22 plain and simple. and depends on what car you drop either into. i mean your talking about a 2% difference here. like on certain turbo cars where they leave the fartcan slanted cause it gives them an extra 1 hp, screw that dumb stuff straighten it out so it doesnt look like you backed into a wall. that extra 1 hp wont make as much a diff at all. and its not like your tryin to build a top end full blown race car. think about it, take a choice and enjoy the fun. both will offer enough to put smiles on your face. and the head is exactly the same as the h22a4 minus the fact it has factory type s cams in it which is even better.
94f20bacc is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:54 PM
  #30  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 1,204
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

Originally Posted by 94f20bacc View Post
the f20b was made so that honda could compete in the 2.0ltr class races,
I know Im pissing off all the guys who have f20bs under their hood! Its a unique engine, bluetop an all that. But the f20b is a compromise. Its a smaller version of the H22. Anything the F20b can do the H22 does better. The OP is looking for an upgrade. The F20b has less torque than the engine he already has. So... Is it an upgrade?
92civlude is offline  
Old 02-12-2011, 08:51 AM
  #31  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

Originally Posted by 92civlude View Post
I know Im pissing off all the guys who have f20bs under their hood! Its a unique engine, bluetop an all that. But the f20b is a compromise. Its a smaller version of the H22. Anything the F20b can do the H22 does better. The OP is looking for an upgrade. The F20b has less torque than the engine he already has. So... Is it an upgrade?
once again that 2 percent of difference isnt much and isnt worth it for the price, theres like an 800 dollar difference between the two (GIVE OR TAKE DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU BUY, BUT STILL A SUBSTANTIAL DIFFERENCE) and for the extra 2 percent it aint worth it, you could do alot with 800 to make it produce more torque and power than the h22 plus you have all the benefits of an f series block. so yea it is an upgrade. you dont even have to sleeve it to turbo it, just need to lower the CR. and is not a smaller version, same size block on the outside. just destroked. sounds like youve never driven an f20b so you cant really talk about something you know only book specs on.
94f20bacc is offline  
Old 02-12-2011, 08:58 AM
  #32  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

its like this whole k20 bullshit craze that heavy assed 4thousand dollar swap doesnt give you much more of anything that an h22 or f20b swap wont, tho it was unique when it first came out now a **** ton of people have them. its pretty bad i can whup on an rsx type s with my old f22b1, course it was chipped with hondata and i was able to adjust for best running application but still heres the difference my engine 500 at the most, k20 anywhere from 1500-4500, the price difference isnt worth it by any means. all that extra money you would save buyin the f22 you could build it to out perform the **** outta a k20 and still be able to fix it if it breaks cheaper. not bangin on anyone who has one, just sayin about differences. an how so many people just go out and buy a k20 cause everyone says theyre fast as ****, not knowing most of those people have major mods done to their k20s to make them fast.
94f20bacc is offline  
Old 02-12-2011, 10:09 AM
  #33  
formerly xmod_supra
 
codyh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charleston
Posts: 1,492
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

Originally Posted by 94f20bacc View Post
its like this whole k20 bullshit craze that heavy assed 4thousand dollar swap doesnt give you much more of anything that an h22 or f20b swap wont, tho it was unique when it first came out now a **** ton of people have them. its pretty bad i can whup on an rsx type s with my old f22b1, course it was chipped with hondata and i was able to adjust for best running application but still heres the difference my engine 500 at the most, k20 anywhere from 1500-4500, the price difference isnt worth it by any means. all that extra money you would save buyin the f22 you could build it to out perform the **** outta a k20 and still be able to fix it if it breaks cheaper. not bangin on anyone who has one, just sayin about differences. an how so many people just go out and buy a k20 cause everyone says theyre fast as ****, not knowing most of those people have major mods done to their k20s to make them fast.



Since we are in a Prelude forum. I will go ahead an say that k20's dont fit in ludes. Thats 1 thing. Second thing a "K24" has on the f and h is one extra gear (6th). 3rd thing, you look under the hood and see an f series. FTL.
codyh is offline  
Old 02-12-2011, 10:14 AM
  #34  
Honda-Tech Member
 
ColbyCD5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lynchburg Tn
Posts: 120
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

IM also doing a f20b with basic bolt ons blox stage 1 one camshaft crower valve train and tuned p28 nothing to bottom end do you think ill need to upgrade injectors im atleast switching to h22 and what are some good ones to use since cd5 is peak n hold with low impedance and what about headgasket if autodynamics is out of stock
ColbyCD5 is offline  
Old 02-12-2011, 10:23 AM
  #35  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 1,204
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

Originally Posted by 94f20bacc View Post
sounds like youve never driven an f20b so you cant really talk about something you know only book specs on.
Ha Ha. Ive installed two of these engines. And both cars were ho-hum. Although the civic was ok. Ive never owned an F20b. So my opinion is unbiased because I dont have to defend my purchase. Sounds to me, you have a case of buyers remorse. I see by your user name you have an F20b in your car. Based on my experience, you would have been much happier with an H22.
H22 owner- F20b owner-
Oh.. Good luck finding a timing belt.
IM DONE HERE.
92civlude is offline  
Old 02-12-2011, 10:40 AM
  #36  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 1,204
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

Originally Posted by 94f20bacc View Post
theres like an 800 dollar difference .
I just checked prices at hmotorsonline. The F20b is going for $849 and the H22 is going for $999! Do the math! Where the hell did you get $800 dollars from?

Last edited by 92civlude; 02-12-2011 at 01:42 PM.
92civlude is offline  
Old 02-12-2011, 11:31 AM
  #37  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

Originally Posted by 92civlude View Post
Ha Ha. Ive installed two of these engines. And both cars were ho-hum. Although the civic was ok. Ive never owned an F20b. So my opinion is unbiased because I dont have to defend my purchase. Sounds to me, you have a case of buyers remorse. I see by your user name you have an F20b in your car. Based on my experience, you would have been much happier with an H22.
H22 owner- F20b owner-
Oh.. Good luck finding a timing belt.
IM DONE HERE.
had both there guy, my last engine was an h22, ive owned alot of diff engines and went thru enough trial and error and testing to know what im talking about.
94f20bacc is offline  
Old 02-12-2011, 11:32 AM
  #38  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

Originally Posted by 92civlude View Post
I just checked prices at hmotorsonline. The F20b is going for $849 and the H22 is going for $999! Do the math! Where the hell did you get $800 dollars from? Now Im done.
read my last quote it says depends on where your buying from. most people who purchase their h22's get them from places selling them for more than 1100 bucks.
94f20bacc is offline  
Old 02-12-2011, 11:34 AM
  #39  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

Originally Posted by xmod_supra View Post


Since we are in a Prelude forum. I will go ahead an say that k20's dont fit in ludes. Thats 1 thing. Second thing a "K24" has on the f and h is one extra gear (6th). 3rd thing, you look under the hood and see an f series. FTL.
o they fit, hell you can drop a small block v8 in them if you want just depends on what your priorities are and how determined you are. and i was only using the kseries as an example.
94f20bacc is offline  
Old 02-12-2011, 11:35 AM
  #40  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

94f20bacc is offline  
Old 02-12-2011, 01:45 PM
  #41  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 1,204
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

Originally Posted by 94f20bacc View Post
most people who purchase their h22's get them from places selling them for more than 1100 bucks.
Whos going to jump onboard this ridiculous statement? Now everything you say is suspect.
92civlude is offline  
Old 02-12-2011, 08:19 PM
  #42  
Honda-Tech Member
 
ColbyCD5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lynchburg Tn
Posts: 120
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

yeah whole bunch of complicated bs feels like im looking for some lost ancient honda archive. HOPEFULLY once my project is complete it will all be worth the effort
ColbyCD5 is offline  
Old 02-12-2011, 08:23 PM
  #43  
formerly xmod_supra
 
codyh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charleston
Posts: 1,492
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

Originally Posted by 94f20bacc View Post
o they fit, hell you can drop a small block v8 in them if you want just depends on what your priorities are and how determined you are. and i was only using the kseries as an example.
Ya of course, fall back on that statment to justify your lack of K'ed ludes knowledge.

lol However I dont care. So truce!
codyh is offline  
Old 03-17-2016, 11:17 PM
  #44  
Trial User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1
Default Re: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?

Sorry so back to the build..
I have a an f20b swap in my 96 lude
But my rpm tach dont work..
Is that what the h22 obd1 distributer is for ??
P-luder is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
skizman
Paint and Body
3
06-08-2016 04:12 PM
907scott
Hybrid / Engine Swaps
12
04-13-2016 10:07 AM
Steve Johnson
Introduce Yourself
1
03-25-2016 12:54 AM
customs-25
Classifieds: Forced Induction
15
03-16-2016 09:48 AM
Turbocivic94
Honda Prelude
12
02-16-2016 04:00 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will a F20B fit in a 95 prelude?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: