Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Why isn't the prelude popular?

Old 03-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why isn't the prelude popular?

Originally Posted by Apocolipse269
lol your #s are wrong. Del Sol S had about 115 the Si had about 150 at best stock (varying in years)
Oh sorry 10 hp, plz.. so 115 on the lesser model, for same weight car,.. just like a h23 in a prelude or f22.. ha

del sol should of came with the gsr engine.

actually Apocolipse269 - your numbers are wrong..

Engine(s) D15B7 1.5L 102 hp I4

D16Z6 1.6L 125 hp (93 kW) I4
B16A3 1.6L 160 hp (120 kW) I4
D16Y7 1.6L 106 hp (79 kW) I4
D16Y8 1.6L 127 hp (95 kW) I4
B16A3 1.6L 160 hp (120 kW) I4 1994-1996 OBD1
B16A2 1.6L 160 hp (120 kW) I4 1996-1997

Sales figures
Prelude
4th Gen (1992–1996): 98,627 5th Gen (1997–2001): 58,118
civics were selling 200,000+ a year.

Last edited by autoluder; 03-12-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess its just dumb luck that the Prelude has the best tq/lb and runs the fastest out of the mentioned group?
Usable powerband FTW?

IDK, this is a dumb thread that has gone in a dumb direction....

BTW: Both of you girlz are wrong; S-106/Si-127/VTEC-160 for the DelSlow.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NirVTEC
I guess its just dumb luck that the Prelude has the best tq/lb and runs the fastest out of the mentioned group?
Usable powerband FTW?

IDK, this is a dumb thread that has gone in a dumb direction....
You're telling me having 10 pounds of curb weight per foot-pound of torque (1995 Mustang GT or 2010 Mustang GT) is worse than having 18 pounds of curb weight?

I guess it makes sense, if they added a few thousand pounds to those cars to get them up to 18 pounds of curb weight per unit of torque they'd be faster, right?

And you're saying that the Prelude is faster than a 2010 Mustang GT?

oh lulz.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by A Blue Lude

And you're saying that the Prelude is faster than a 2010 Mustang GT?

oh lulz.
Nope.

I'm just stating that the Prelude with the best TQ-LB of the Civic/Integra/Prelude is the quickest in acceleration. Nothing more, nothing less.
We all know there is so much more to the equation than a number on a piece of paper.
Thanks for complicating this.

Maybe you can explain why a 3000lb/300tq 5.0 had trouble running in the 14s stock? Inability to use said TQ? Prelude VTEC was just as quick with 55% of the TQ.
It would appear that HP to weight is logical considering the similarity of the 5.0 HP and H22 HP and similarity of 0-90 acceleration, which would relate to usable powerband.

Last edited by NirVTEC; 03-13-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, and people say ITR owners are "elitists"

the bottom line here is cost, there is no doubt. If your goal is to build a car and get the most you can out of it and had $12,000 to spend would you spend $8,000-$10,000 on a 5th gen prelude, or $1000-$3000 on a 5th gen civic? or $4000-$5000 on an integra? It's simple cost analysis.

If i wanted a nice daily driver that i was satisfied with without extensive modifications, i would pick the prelude. but if i was building a car i could road race in and not break the bank....uh yeah civic/integra it is.

some of you need to travel outside your little box here, considering you are comparing numbers of cars and don't even know the correct figures.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm maybe because honda made waaaayy more b-series and b series powered vehicles. it was a combination of expense, and styling. when the 4th gen and 5th gen arrived there wasn't the emphasis on luxury and amenities that prevail today. thus a civic or integra seemed a viable alternative. in addition the weight issue about preludes is true. this is because it waay easier to get a civic or even a 4 door integra lighter and sub-2400lbs (1100kg) where modifications would become increasingly effective and further, economical - because we all modify our cars in attempt to boost performance. Plus, the prelude was always the testing ground 4 honda's new technology (atts, both 4WS, FRM cylinder sleeves etc. ) in a practical, mass produced platform, which always added to its baseline price. honda should have made the 5th gen a 4WD to add to its appeal. but then again that would prob have made it heavier and even more money.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by forcefedferio
wow, and people say ITR owners are "elitists"

They are.....and somewhat desrve to be.
Your average Prelude owner is a broke kid that can't afford to even maintain their car. They have no right to be an ELITIST.

When I bought my Prelude in 1999, I liked the fact that every kid with $3k couldn't buy one and rice it out.
Even beat up 92 Si's were still drawing more than double that.....My my things have changed.
It really breaks my heart to see of the Preludes that exist out there. My daily driver included!
Old 03-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll say it flat out: torque to weight ratio is meaningless. You can discuss the shape of the torque curve and the peak HP. The bottom line is that a transmission and FD are torque multipliers. HP is conserved, torque is not.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Daughter not possible

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think lack of mods is actually a problem. The H22 engine has as many mods available as the B, thanks to all the H swapped Civic/Tegs out there. For the body, you can find just as much stuff, and in the end, just like Civic's who all put on a lip, fogs, wheels, thats what the Prelude usually has done to it. I'd venture to say aftermarket is equal, minus pretty LCA's, which I haven't seen for Ludes. You just can't find as many random JDM 92-01 parts as 88-00 Civic/Teg parts.

I think that, despite prices going down, it's still price, weight, and styling. Viable Civic's begin at $1000, and unless it's an Si, end at about 4-5K on the high side. That's also where the 4th gen Lude is. The 5th usually STARTS 4K, and is still 9K on the high side. If you actually sit in, or drive a Prelude, you can begin to understand why it costs more.

Weight, that's big one for people. They want the fastest car possible, and a stripped no AC/roll-up window hatch is going to be faster than a Prelude, even with a lesser motor. Can't argue that one.

Styling; 4th gen interior/dash, 5th gen headlights. Some people can't get past them.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rude Awakening
The H22 engine has as many mods available as the B,

Ummmm no.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Daughter not possible

Ummmm no.
What can't you do to it? Name some type of mod that you can buy for a B but not for an H? Cams? LSD? IM's? Pistons? Sleeves? valvetrains? ITB's? Turbo? Ignition? I see cheap DC headers for both, I see SMSP headers for both, same with a Skunk2 manifold, or a TWM ITB setup, ect, ect.

Not that it even matters to me, because my Prelude will have a fresh F20B when I pick it up, and I eschewed a perfectly fine H22 for it. I know what I need to do to get 9000 RPM out of it and that's all I'M concerned about.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Choices are just very limited and the amount of viable pre-owned parts is probably 1/10 of what it is for the B series.
I'm not sure that its a bad thing though......
OK header, Good header, Great header.
2 Co's actually make cams......I don't count Crower.

Last edited by NirVTEC; 03-13-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Daughter not possible

Choices are just very limited and the amount of viable pre-owned parts is probably 1/10 of what it is for the B series.
I'm not sure that its a bad thing though......
OK header, Good header, Great header.
2 Co's actually make cams.
My point is, all the same ***** out there. There's not 28 companies making the same parts, but, you can do the same. And most of the extra junk made for B also is cheap stuff. I couldn't care less that I can't get ebay Type X cams for my engine for $100 shipped, while Mr. B16 EG hatchcrap can. As long as I can get Skunk2 Pros...

I also wasn't considering pre-owned. I don't know why anyone would take the chance. How many stupid Honda f4gs are looking to get over on someone? Like everybody. I know it can potentially save money, but people should be considering getting stuff only from reputable outlets. Send $400 for some Hype R cams to some Socal or NYC/NJ douche and get some stock *** B16 cams, how many times that **** have to happen?
Old 03-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But the cable trans sucks so baaaad...
Old 03-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope.

I'm just stating that the Prelude with the best TQ-LB of the Civic/Integra/Prelude is the quickest in acceleration. Nothing more, nothing less.
We all know there is so much more to the equation than a number on a piece of paper.
Thanks for complicating this.

Maybe you can explain why a 3000lb/300tq 5.0 had trouble running in the 14s stock? Inability to use said TQ? Prelude VTEC was just as quick with 55% of the TQ.
It would appear that HP to weight is logical considering the similarity of the 5.0 HP and H22 HP and similarity of 0-90 acceleration, which would relate to usable powerband.
prelude vs mustang, isnt this the same as prelude vs civic. The point is lighter car with good top end hp, and no wasted low end tq. I already showed you on fb, how a 150whp b16 eg can run 13.9s on street tires. and just look at your 200whp lude, might hit a 13.9 one day, ha, point is a civic is doing it with 111tq, eg can show a prelude what it can do with less power, just like a prelude can show a older mustang what it can do with less power.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will say what most people here have said. When the Prelude was new it was more expensive. Now that the price isn't a problem anymore, it is the fact that it doesn't have anywhere close to the aftermarket support that the Civic does. I don't think the weight is really that much of an issue to most people, although it probably is an issue to some.

Oh yeah, and when they redesigned the last generation of the prelude and gave it those horrible square headlights, that made it hideously ugly. The generation before that was a nice looking car.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Korman
In my opinion people don't like preludes because everyone has jumped on a delusional bandwagon of thinking they are crap. This is true in Japan as well, where you can pick up a 'Lude with an H22 for the equivalent of $2000-$3000.

However, it's all crap.

People think they are heavy, but... They are only heavy when compared to a Civic. They are just a tad heaver then a well-equipped Integra. When you compare it to Mustangs, Camaros, and other varieties of wasteful pushrod actuated primitive obsessions of useless displacement, they are far lighter.

They have a far superior (in my opinion) engine - 200 HP stock and more torque than an ITR. They were pricy when they were made but they're pretty cheap now if you can find one.

Think about it. You can get a EM1 for $5000-$6000, or you can get an SH for the same price.

The 'Lude is faster, more comfortable, more luxurious, has more features, and if you got ATTS, has better handling.

Preludes are sexy.
i like this guy..
Old 03-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They are.....and somewhat desrve to be.
Your average Prelude owner is a broke kid that can't afford to even maintain their car. They have no right to be an ELITIST.

When I bought my Prelude in 1999, I liked the fact that every kid with $3k couldn't buy one and rice it out.
Even beat up 92 Si's were still drawing more than double that.....My my things have changed.
It really breaks my heart to see of the Preludes that exist out there. My daily driver included!
x2
Old 03-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Korman
People think they are heavy, but... They are only heavy when compared to a Civic. They are just a tad heaver then a well-equipped Integra. When you compare it to Mustangs, Camaros, and other varieties of wasteful pushrod actuated primitive obsessions of useless displacement, they are far lighter.
You don't really want to start comparisons with the last Camaro (not the current one) because despite the weight, the Camaro will absolutely blow the doors off of a Prelude without breaking a sweat.

Sure the last Camaro had a primitive rear suspension, but it still handled pretty well. Around most racetracks a 2000 Camaro will absolutely obliterate a 2000 Prelude any day of the week. The only place the Prelude would stand a chance is around a low speed track like an autocross.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO i think is preludes are underrated i used to own a ek with a h2b swap and i luved it but wen i got a 92 lude i luved how it felt and how the weight distribution was but the wieght of the car does kill it
Old 03-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cause it's a mini batmobile...and a land boat.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bcus its more sexy than the average idiot can handle.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bcause it goes against everything chuck norris stands for.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bcause universal healthcare was a stipulation of buyin the prelude and the general population is too retarded to properly vote for it, so the govt propagated a rumor that if you dont get preludes, it will show how much you want universal healthcare and help make it a reality...

fail..
Old 03-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jah.tien
fail..
yes, every time you post this site gets a little more full of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why isn't the prelude popular?