Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Why isn't the prelude popular?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why isn't the prelude popular?

I don't really have time to read this whole argument... buuuuuut...

In my opinion...

1. Car was really pricey brand new for being a mediocre "Sports Coupe"
2. Pretty heavy in comparison to civic hatch.
3. Everyone rides the civic hatch and coupe ****.
4. Not enough companies making aftermarket parts.
5. Pretty pricey to repair in comparison to more popular imports (Civic, Teggy)

These are merely MY opinions on why I don't think its as popular.

I have owned both a 92 turbo Civic hatch and a 92 Prelude. And honestly... I didn't like the ride or feel of the hatch. But again... that's just me.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've found prelude owners in surprising places. None of them seemed to care about the car's popularity, but they were all very happy with their cars.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:58 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

the 5th gen is indeed sexy, up until i sold mine, I would get nothing but compliments, lulz.

Too bad it was slow.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for bsmith and his love for the camaro lol

Old 04-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the only negative side of the 5th gen prelude these days is the fuel economy.. since the h22 is a beast, it also takes some fuel.. and civics and integra's are pretty efficient with their weak 1.6's and 1.8's, compared to lude's 2.2.. but hey, in a race uphill, or full cars, a heavy prelude will pull on any light civic. lol.. its all about the torque.. ;D
Old 04-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bsmith - why are you comparing 5.0L v8's to the 2.2L i4 engine? those engines are by far different, and they were never designed to compete.. they dont have nearly the same specs, and a totally different drivetrain is required for these 2 engines, which at the end, should produce totally different results that are not to be compared..

this is a honda website, and i dont know what a "american muscle" fan might be doing here.. unless he's also a honda fan in heart..

also, a prelude gets ~25mpg compared to what ~10mpg of a mustang or a camaro?? lmao.. i'd rather drive something that gets 20 more mpg and have similar results to a mustang..

by saying similar i dont mean faster..
Old 04-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kkandreykk
bsmith - why are you comparing 5.0L v8's to the 2.2L i4 engine? those engines are by far different, and they were never designed to compete.. they dont have nearly the same specs, and a totally different drivetrain is required for these 2 engines, which at the end, should produce totally different results that are not to be compared..

this is a honda website, and i dont know what a "american muscle" fan might be doing here.. unless he's also a honda fan in heart..

also, a prelude gets ~25mpg compared to what ~10mpg of a mustang or a camaro?? lmao.. i'd rather drive something that gets 20 more mpg and have similar results to a mustang..

by saying similar i dont mean faster..

Oh yes, the H22 (as outdated an engine as it is), is far more sophisticated than the LS1. On the other hand, who cares? If a simple engine produces more yet costs less, maybe it's worth it.

And here's the fuel economy numbers I think you were wondering about.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Obesity...... But the suspension is amazing ...wide & low.... aerodynamic
But beware -finding any aftermarket parts for preludes is like finding a hooker at church!
all aftermarket parts are for ek's/eg's/and anything K....
so my solution is to keepmy prelude as a chilling/show car
and start an ek/h-series drag build. Its the best of both worlds. I refuse to get rid of my lude.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive owned both a ej8 civic and a bb6 prelude. only con of the prelude is that its a little sluggish going up hills in a low gear and the preludes (h22) gas mileage is not as good as the civics (d16) and its aftermarket support is not as large, but if your really want a part its not impossible to find.
IN CONCLUSION the Prelude is 10x a better car then a civic. the design if the car is somewhat aggressive and classy. You can tell the people who developed the car really put time and effort into the design. Handling is probally the best for a FWD car. With the type SH you can throw the car into a turn and it will balance itself out and and then shoot you out the the apex! The long gears are amazing, 3rd gear you can stay in vtec for like 5-6 seconds without redline... its intense. Actual leather in the interior, the seats are somewhat racing style the seats hold your sides when cornering. the h22, h23 are monsters (when they dont burn oil, which is another con) will spank most cars on the road. Also might be a little difficult to get some action in the back seat cause is sorta small so get a hotel room lol
Old 10-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

weight, parts, and FRM block... stupid thing has been causing me problems sense day 1... got my sleeves now though... time to go big boy style...
Old 10-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a damn fine sexy car though... LOVE the lude look...
Old 10-12-2012, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought the thread title was "why aren't preludes popular" not "which is better, lighter, or power/weight or torque/weight" I'm gonna go with the obvious choice IMO.. Their not as popular because not as many people own preludes compared to civic/integras.

But.. I still love my 4th gen and I can proudly say I didn't hop on the civic/teg bandwagon ( not saying theirs anything wrong with them, just not my cup of tea)
It's all really based on people's opinions.

I read this entire thread at work, made my night go by a lot faster while getting yelled at (:
Old 10-12-2012, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Waxaz420
weight, parts, and FRM block... stupid thing has been causing me problems sense day 1... got my sleeves now though... time to go big boy style...
the frm blocks are one of the reasons h22s burn oil
Old 10-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by SlimBB4
i dont get people using the weight as an excuse for disliking the prelude. the 4th gen prelude is what... around 2800-2900 while civics and integras of the same years weigh 2500-2700? the difference isnt significant enough to really cause an issue.

accords and preludes are interchangable just as civics and integras are. why would the civics and tegs be more popular? civics have a bigger aftermarket following because they are a more popular car. initially the reason for that was pricing but now pricing shouldnt be an issue either. you can pick up a decent prelude for 2500-5000 which is easily a going rate for civics and integras. as far as motor swaps go... why would any prelude owner want to swap a motor from a civic or teg? that would be a downgrade with the prelude heart being the h22. the prelude would do great with a k24 in it and it has been made possible for little expense just like civics and tegs.

the only thing that i can think of is that civics and tegs have been made easier to modify. from the very beginning they were more popular based on pricing which made for the larger aftermarket following and things just never changed even though the initial reasons are no longer pertinent.

_zac
Well said my friend.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't complain on the fuel economy on my 98 Honda Prelude base. I get 24mpg on the city and 30mpg on the highway.

I drove 100 miles in a single day (made several trips to the dealership) and I was doing 70-90mph on the freeway. Went to go get gas and I got 30mpg. =\ I only have to pay about $16-$20 to fill it up from half.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Prelude is on my maybe want list because the chances are lower that it will get swiped from my driveway. Back in the late 90s we had a group of GSRs and 1 buddy with a Prelude and he would pull us all on the highway when we were all bone stock. Civics,Integras,and Preludes all kick *** in different ways. I am seeing less and less Integras and civics but Preludes are almost extinct in my area.
I want a damn 99 00 civic si and a GSR but the thought scares me when I sleep at night wondering if I will see my car in the morning.
I give many cool points to the Prelude for its unique set up and it dances to a differnt beat.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Prelude SH won Car and Driver's best handling car under 30,000 dollars in 1998. This is one of many awards the 5th gens received. With today's aftermarket options, weight is not an issue, the H22 engine in huge and power gains are very easy to find. Simply buying a piggy back ECU and getting a tune can make the world of difference. The 5th gen in my opinion has a inferior power plant due to the open deck and material used for sleeves. Drive it til it blows and get closed deck sleeves like AERP's and you can push it to astronomical levels. The H22 is a great motor; however, it is true that the B series engines have far more options at a lesser price. When you hear someone say that a Prelude is too heavy, they are just repeating what they heard from some other nube.... As stated in an earlier post, a couple hundred pounds is not a big deal; we are talking about fractions of seconds not seconds. Plus, it is very easy to lean the Prelude down a bit.
Old 11-10-2022, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If anyone is interested

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/c...1&bof=nIEhkp7B

Gen 4, for sale