Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

What would cause no spark and no fuel pulse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What would cause no spark and no fuel pulse?

Hey everyone, it's been years since I've posted but I've recently ran into a huge dilema. I've got a 98 teg with an obd1 h22a in it and using stock p13 ecu. It's been reliable and working for 7 years now. Just a few days ago when I went to start it, it would crank fine, but not start. I learned that it wasn't getting any spark or fuel into the cylinders.

After quite a bit of diagnosing I'm still stumped. The CEL comes on then turns off as normal. The fuel pump primes and I've got fuel pressure at the rail. I've got 12v to the distributor and 12V to each injector. Here's what else I've checked.

1. All ground are good, and cleaned and inspected.

2. All fuses have continuity and visually inspected

3. I've taken apart the ecu and inspected and it looks fine.

4. Unplugged the main relay, checked wires and there are no open wires.

5. I've done a lot of searching other thread and have checked each wire going to the ECU that is either ground or power, and they all seam to check out.

What else am I missing? NO spark or fuel pulse. This should be simple but I'm at my wits end. Car was running fine and then suddenly no start. Any help would be great!
Old 03-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would cause no spark and no fuel pulse?

Maybe one of The sensors in the dizzy is toast. You have sinal going to and from the ecu from the dizzy? By signal I mean output to the icm in the dizzy from the ecu, and ac voltage coming from the three sensors in the dizzy. You can back prove both at the dizzy and at the ecu as that would verify the wirin in between as well.
I can post wire colors and pin numbers too if you need them.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:16 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

perform the k test
Old 03-05-2013, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

K test turned out alright. 5V to map and TPS sensor. I may have found something finally. I checked the other connector on the distributor. I believe it has 7 wires going to it. Do these sensors have any voltage going to them when they Key is on? I checked a wiring diagram and the 7th wire, yellow with a blue stripe, says it is sensor voltage. I read no voltage with the key on to that wire, and also, i read 70K ohms to ground, maybe it's shorting? Can anyone tell me what this wire in the distributor goes to? I also tested the resistance of each sensor in the dizzy, from searching I read that they're suppose to be 1.2k-3k ohms each? I tested 350 ohms for each sensor, am I doing this right? Thanks!
-Jason
Old 03-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I downloaded the factory service manual and went through the step by step instructions on what to check. Mainly it had me check ecu grounds, power wires, and the main relay and wires, and everything seams to check out. The last step it says is replace the ecu, but I just wish I could test the ecu before throwing a new one in there. Really stumped. Ecu has power and ground to each terminal it needs, all grounds and logic grounds are good, ecu gets power from the main relay, all fuses are good, it has a starter signal while cranking. Yet no spark or fuel pulse.
The only other odd thing I've found is that 1 cylinder will occasionally get fuel and wash the oil off the cylinder and loses a bit of compression, then when i'm cranking it sounds like the engine has a hiccup. While I find it odd, I can't seam to find out why 1 injector will occasionally fire. Any one have any clues? Thanks!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:23 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps the 15A ecu fuse is blown. Find someone with an ecu you can borrow.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ecu fuse is good, and has voltage to it...

Ok so I checked the crank sensor, camshaft sensor, and TDC sensor, all have 350 ohms which is in specs, and when I crank, I get about 0.3 to 0.4 volts. I couldn't get the test light to light up since the voltage was so low. Is this the correct voltage? The manual just says to test the resistance of the sensors, and they check out. And the wires all have good continuity going from the ecu to the sensors.

I am so stumped, I've checked everything I can think of. Is their a wire at the ecu that actually sends a signal to the distributor to fire? Or the injectors to pulse? It's strange, I can smell fuel when I crank for awhile coming out of the exhaust, but the spark plugs aren't wet and I don't seam to smell much at all on the plugs.

Is there anywhere at the ecu I can check when cranking or anywhere else to see what isn't sending or receiving a signal? I even get a starter signal going to the ecu when cranking. Please help...
Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check to see if your model has a 'crankshaft sensor' or some such sensor and do diagnostic on that, and check coil, borrow one from friend and or buy used one. u can bench test a coil= see 'Haynes' manual. also check continuity of coil wire. or easier yet use one that you know works from a friend or or least get a used one and check continuity. make sure when u check 4 spark at coil wire when cranking that u use a well insulated screwdriver so as not to get shocked, there is quite a bit of amperage enough to melt [weld] a vanadium steel ring to your finger. also make sure when phillips screwdriver is in coil wire that u arc it to a good ground on ur engine. arcing coil wire is= to holding screwdriver about 1/4 inch from a ground while cranking the engine via ignition switch. also look for fusible links they are separate from the normal fusebox and r usually located under the hood in a labled black box remove lid to box and check continuity of fuse-able links. ur model may not some of the above get a Haynes.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

let me know do u have fire at the end of the coil wire to ground? [arc test n bench test coil and coil wire. also when u abbreviate it makes it way difficult.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks to all who helped. I wanted to wait until I knew for sure what the fix was. It ended up being the distributor. I ended up doing so much electrical diagnosing I didn't do much visual diagnosing. Still, it was a pretty strange thing to have happen.

So what happened was the bearing was going bad in the distributor, when I took the crap off there was red dust everywhere though it still spun fine. Upon closer inspection I found red dust to have collected on the magnet part of the TDC CKP and CYP sensors. When I cleaned it off I got a fuel pulse but no spark. After that I found the ignition control module to have gone bad.

So the new dizzy finally arrived today and after putting it on the car started right up! Finally she runs and I'm happy. So if anyone else ever has a similar issue, I guess the moral is to visually check things, in my case the position sensors. As they all tested good, (350 ohms) but I wasn't seeing any voltage from them or very little voltage. After taking it apart I found the red bearing dust and fragments were collecting on the sensors and all over, and covering them up. Hope this can help somone. Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the fuel filter and fuel injector and listen for fuel pump running through the fuel lines and if it isnt then its either the fuel pump pluged or the fuel pump isnt working.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Let me know if that works.