Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

What would cause car to shake while accelerating. (doesnt shake in vtec)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would cause car to shake while accelerating. (doesnt shake in vtec)

I just picked up a 95 prelude VTEC. and when driving everything is smooth motor, car ride, everything. But when accelerating it kinda shakes like its a bent wheel or something and than in vtec it stops shaking and just goes with the flow. Sometimes when driving it wont do it and than out of no where it will.

I was thinking either

-Wheel Alignment

-Axel

-Wheel bearing.

help?
Old 08-01-2009, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would cause car to shake while accelerating. (doesnt shake in vtec)

probably axle. Alignment wont cause a car to shake.Wheel bearing will cause a humming sound starting around 50km and sound will vary with steering the car side to side.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would cause car to shake while accelerating. (doesnt shake in vtec)

yea im a check today.. if its a axel ill be so releaved because this car drivers perfect other wise
Old 08-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your motor mounts
Old 08-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2cams
probably axle. Alignment wont cause a car to shake.Wheel bearing will cause a humming sound starting around 50km and sound will vary with steering the car side to side.

X2
Old 08-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ArmaanOG
I just picked up a 95 prelude VTEC. and when driving everything is smooth motor, car ride, everything. But when accelerating it kinda shakes like its a bent wheel or something and than in vtec it stops shaking and just goes with the flow. Sometimes when driving it wont do it and than out of no where it will.

I was thinking either

-Wheel Alignment

-Axel

-Wheel bearing.

help?
It needs JDM black headlights. JK its probably axle.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

agree with the post above.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This might sound unlikely. But, it may not have anything to do with your chassis or suspension. I've had bad plug wires cause misfires only during acceleration from the 3 to 5k rpm range. Under motion the car shook so bad that I thought for sure something was wrong with the transmission... there wasn't. In another case, I had a 3rd gen 'lude with similar symptoms. I determined that it was the CV shafts so I replaced them. Then those ones went bad. In the end it turned out to be a bad differential bearing that was throughing all of the shafts out. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my friend. i went to go change the plugs yesturday and i see a lot of oil where the plugs are im talking pretty bad. im waiting for the new valve cover gasket, spark plug gakets to come in advanced so i can do it. could the be why it bugs sometimes?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a suspension problem.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

suspension rides real good though idk.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 PM
New User

You definitely should start with the easy fixes first like checking for your tires to make sure they're balance and having no signs of flat spots on the treads.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It very well could. Take the plugs out, and look them over for signs of fouling. I wouldn't worry about the oil leaking down into the cylinders unless it’s a lot. If it is, roll some paper towel I and soak it up first. Check the plugs for wear or signs of fowling. Replace the distributor cap and rotor along with the plugs (this is cheap). If you can, check the plug wires with an ohm meter for low resistance and consistency. Replace them if necessary. Does it still accelerate bad? I would concentrate on the engine first. If it’s anything else it would likely happen during all speeds.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take your car up a longer hill and if it feels like your car shake from side to side its your axle..i had the same prob when going to the track and ran it anyway it seemed fine but my mph was about 4mph low and it was an alxe that was bad
Old 09-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

word i check my passanger axel and the boot was rip still grease in there there is no click everything else in there felt tight nothing lose. my driver side axel looks fine but it could be bad also right? but i know for a fact my passanger is terrible
Old 09-10-2009, 09:47 PM
BDM
Honda-Tech Member

I used to have a shaking problem. 70% of it was because of a bent front rim. The other 30% because of a wobbly intermediate shaft. All my cars have always shook if the alignment was ever extremely off too.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ArmaanOG
my friend. i went to go change the plugs yesturday and i see a lot of oil where the plugs are im talking pretty bad. im waiting for the new valve cover gasket, spark plug gakets to come in advanced so i can do it. could the be why it bugs sometimes?
I've had this problem alot w/ my spark plug gaskets leaking oil to my spark plugs.... when i got on it, it flet as if the engine was stalling or something but when I let off it was fine... so this could be the problem, making it seem like a suspension malfunction....
Old 10-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i put a new axle in and my shaking is still the same what could this be everything looks fine
Old 10-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

may sound weird but on my gf's car her car shook nasty and its because the wheels werent balanced. after i balanced them which was 5 dollars by the way the shaking stopped
Old 10-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: What would cause car to shake while accelerating. (doesnt shake in vtec)

As has been mentioned a couple of times.
I would definately recommend getting your wheels balanced, its cheap
and it could be your problem, if not at least you've ruled it out. An
unbalanced wheel or slightly bent rim can cause the symptons you have.
Good luck sorting it out.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Brand new axle, brand new tires about a month ago with balance. and no bent rims. what else... it feels like it shakes a lot from passenger floor. when i accelerate to the left it shakes a lot but not as much when i accelerate to the right. and when its cold it doesnt shake much at all. could it be wires? its a pretty bad shake
Old 10-30-2009, 06:46 AM

my 5thgen did the SAME thing. it turned out to be a bent wheel AND bad motor mounts.

check both and good luck
Old 10-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i checked motor mounts they are really good still.... so it comes does to its probably my wheels? i dont have a set of wheel to put on to check ughh lol but its weird why would it only shake when the car is at operating temp but when its cold it barely does it(not that i beat on it when its cold, strictly to test out the shake)....
Old 10-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone else?
Old 10-31-2009, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Swap your rear wheels to the front and the fronts to the back. See if that makes any
difference, if not then its not your wheels.

Quick Reply: What would cause car to shake while accelerating. (doesnt shake in vtec)